Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2016, 12:53 PM   #26
DGee
Registered Member

DGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2016, 12:55 PM   #27
DGee
Registered Member

Unread 04/08/2016, 01:00 PM   #28
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraloulou View Post
Your tank is STUNNING! Your pictures are amazing. It's like you challenged yourself to cram as much beauty into that tank as possible and you succeeded! Are you still currently running T5 only, same configuration you listed?
Wheew! That was a lot of copy and pasting!

Thanks for the compliment =)

About 5 months ago I added an LED accent strip to the front side of the fixture as a little experiment and to add a bit of shimmer, it consists of 3 cool white diodes, a 12 different yet very specific UV led's ranging from 360nm up to 420nm and 3 Royal blue diodes.

Other than that the bulb combo is still the same... I've really been happy with the FM Ultra Royal Blue tubes over the ATI Blue+ they just seem to have a little something special to them that the Blue+ doesn't have.

Unread 04/08/2016, 03:37 PM   #29
homer1475
Registered Member

While I'm not an SPS guy, your tank is absolutely stunning!!

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2016, 05:11 PM   #30
Salty Pickle
Registered Member

You have an amazing set up, you have crazy skills.

Salty Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2016, 09:07 PM   #31
aaron1129
Registered Member

If you don't mind me asking, Where do you get your corals from, some of those Acros are amazing. The orange one, and the yellow with the purple polyps are so beautiful. Those are the two I am most interested in.

Also that stag horn is huge!. very impressive tank my friend. I am in the process of setting up a 48x24x16 rimless right now and I am getting a lot of inspiration from your tank. thank you.

aaron1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 01:13 AM   #32
SCWA Reef
Registered Member

You have an amazing setup, i read that you dont run any gfo, just socks and a skimmer for nutrient export, is that all? No cheto or carbon dosing etc Im a little paranoid about turning off my rowaphos!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

SCWA Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 02:03 AM   #33
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1129 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, Where do you get your corals from, some of those Acros are amazing. The orange one, and the yellow with the purple polyps are so beautiful. Those are the two I am most interested in.

Also that stag horn is huge!. very impressive tank my friend. I am in the process of setting up a 48x24x16 rimless right now and I am getting a lot of inspiration from your tank. thank you.
A lot of my corals I import directly though a local shop, I don't spend a lot of time buying name brand frags, I prefer to pick up wild pieces and see what they develop into. The orange piece is a strange one, it came out of my friends display tank at his shop, in his tank it's green with orange tips... For some reason or another it's decided to turn totally orange in my system. I'm not complaining though!

The other piece was from a wild colony I picked up a year ago or so, it would randomly rtn and I lost the majority of it, finally it decided to settle in and has developed into what you see in the pictures, it's finally started to really branch out and start growing.

I do sell frags from time to time if you want specific pieces.

Unread 04/09/2016, 02:10 AM   #34
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWA Reef View Post
You have an amazing setup, i read that you dont run any gfo, just socks and a skimmer for nutrient export, is that all? No cheto or carbon dosing etc Im a little paranoid about turning off my rowaphos!

Nope, no GFO or carbon dosing of any sort... All nutrients are either consumed by the corals or or pulled out via the skimmer, larger pieces of waste are picked up by the filter socks which I wash in bleach and rotate once per week.

I feed my fish frozen food daily and I feed my corals twice per week.

My coral food is a slurry I mix up in a single cup and just dump in front of one of the Vortech's it consists of:

7ml Sachem Fuel
10ml Red Sea Reef Energy A
10ml Red Sea Reef Energy B
10ml Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast

Unread 04/09/2016, 04:59 AM   #35
maelv
Registered Member

DGee,
Tank is amazing....but I also love your aquascape. What kind of rock is that and where you score those things?

In the process of planning a 30x30 or 36x36 cube in the upcoming months and like the island shelf look..

Thanks

maelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 05:15 AM   #36
aaron1129
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGee View Post
A lot of my corals I import directly though a local shop, I don't spend a lot of time buying name brand frags, I prefer to pick up wild pieces and see what they develop into. The orange piece is a strange one, it came out of my friends display tank at his shop, in his tank it's green with orange tips... For some reason or another it's decided to turn totally orange in my system. I'm not complaining though!

The other piece was from a wild colony I picked up a year ago or so, it would randomly rtn and I lost the majority of it, finally it decided to settle in and has developed into what you see in the pictures, it's finally started to really branch out and start growing.

I do sell frags from time to time if you want specific pieces.
Heck yeah I would love to buy a frag or two, My rock is about two weeks into curing, and i am ordering my tank, skimmer and lights soon, so I should be up and running in a couple months, but I am gonna make sure everything is very stable before I start adding too many corals; late summer/early fall I will contact you.

Last edited by aaron1129; 04/09/2016 at 05:22 AM.
aaron1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 07:14 AM   #37
d-man
Registered Member

All of that growth within a year or so?

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 10:51 AM   #38
ankitgandre
Registered Member

super tank. how is your tank so clean??? are you using zeovit?? or any other products? more info will be helpful

ankitgandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 11:06 AM   #39
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelv View Post
DGee,
Tank is amazing....but I also love your aquascape. What kind of rock is that and where you score those things?

In the process of planning a 30x30 or 36x36 cube in the upcoming months and like the island shelf look..

Thanks
The rock is just plain old "shelf live rock" that comes from a wholesaler down in LA. I used 5/8" acrylic rods to to build the structures, just drilled the wholes with a masonry bit and then pounded in the rods. Essentially the rock on the left was built from 6 different pieces the other side is actually two separate islands that are built from 2-3 separate pieces. For me it was really about maximizing the available coral space.

The tank previous to this one was a 30x30x18 and before that I had a much larger tank.

We're in the market for another house so I'll be building another large tank eventually.

Unread 04/09/2016, 11:15 AM   #40
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
All of that growth within a year or so?
Most everything came from my previous tank, however that whole tank was started from frags for the most part about 7 months prior to me building this tank.

There are a few pieces that started out as bigger wild colonies as well. But there's definitely been quite a bit of growth over the past 16 months or so.

Last edited by DGee; 04/09/2016 at 11:35 AM.
Unread 04/09/2016, 11:35 AM   #41
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitgandre View Post
super tank. how is your tank so clean??? are you using zeovit?? or any other products? more info will be helpful
I'm super crazy and anal lol?

Seriously though, I just like a clean tank, I try to wipe it down every couple of days, I blast the rocks and corals with a turkey baster every couple weeks to keep things clean and check for any unwanted pests. I'll also wrap my return pump in a filter sock every few months and I use an old powerhead to blow any junk that's settled in the sump over to the return side so it'll get collected in the sock.

There's no other supplements added to the tank other than what I've listed above. ALL nutrient export is done via the corals, skimmer or filter socks.

To keep color and growth I maintain my p04 between .05 - .08 I don't really test the tank but those are the numbers it seems to thrive at so I've just adjusted my feeding to keep the tank around there.

I should also mention I've done two water changes on this tank in the last 16 months. I really kinda employ the lazy guy method of husbandry, I try to just let the tank do it's thing and don't intervene much. Find where your tank is happy and thriving and just do what you need to keep it there... This is the way I've been doing things for the last 20 some odd years and it works for me.

There really is no magic to keeping a colorful sps tank.

Unread 04/09/2016, 11:43 AM   #42
SCWA Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Nope, no GFO or carbon dosing of any sort... All nutrients are either consumed by the corals or or pulled out via the skimmer, larger pieces of waste are picked up by the filter socks which I wash in bleach and rotate once per week.

I feed my fish frozen food daily and I feed my corals twice per week.

My coral food is a slurry I mix up in a single cup and just dump in front of one of the Vortech's it consists of:

7ml Sachem Fuel
10ml Red Sea Reef Energy A
10ml Red Sea Reef Energy B
10ml Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast
Hats off to you, everything looks great keep doing what your doing

SCWA Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 05:12 PM   #43
Bratyboy2
Registered Member

What are FM bulbs?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Bratyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 05:22 PM   #44
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratyboy2 View Post
What are FM bulbs?

Fauna Marin, you'll have to order them directly from Germany if you want them since as of right now no one in the states is importing them.

Shipping prices are decent though.

Unread 04/09/2016, 06:21 PM   #45
Bratyboy2
Registered Member

Ill have to check into that

Bratyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 06:22 PM   #46
maelv
Registered Member

You have some very nice corals. I will no doubtedly hit you up in the next year when I am ready to start placing some SPS in my tank.

Currently deployed and in planning stages of my tank so it won't materialize for quite some time. But I have subscribed so you can't get away that easy.

Unread 04/09/2016, 07:04 PM   #47
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelv View Post
You have some very nice corals. I will no doubtedly hit you up in the next year when I am ready to start placing some SPS in my tank.

Currently deployed and in planning stages of my tank so it won't materialize for quite some time. But I have subscribed so you can't get away that easy.
I'll be here, more than likely with a lot more sps... Thank you for your service to our country, what branch of service are you in?

Unread 04/09/2016, 08:35 PM   #48
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Sweet, thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful tank. What kind of sand are you using?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 09:05 PM   #49
maelv
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll be here, more than likely with a lot more sps... Thank you for your service to our country, what branch of service are you in?
Thank you DGee, greatly appreciated. I was enlisted in the Air Force for about 8.5 years then went back to school and now am finishing my time up as a Logistics Officer in the Army.

Well I'll be sure to follow you so I can start shopping when my tank is ready. Notice I say tank is ready, cause I am about ready right now, even without a tank ha ha ha ha

Unread 04/09/2016, 10:34 PM   #50
DGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Sweet, thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful tank. What kind of sand are you using?
Special Reef Grade from Caribsea, it's a good mixture of different sizes.