Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2005, 09:14 PM   #51
reewik
Registered Member

Big project, but impressive so far none the less. I have also thought about the foam for the next tank, we will see.

reewik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2005, 01:06 AM   #52
Jimsmowen
Registered Member

Looking really great, do you have a picture of your girlfriends tank setup with the foam?? I would really love to see it

Jimsmowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2005, 07:48 AM   #53
NOLACLS
Registered Member

Man that is coming along NICELY I to would like to see the girls tank with the foam....damn good idea!

NOLACLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2005, 09:52 AM   #54
Reefmaiden
Registered Member

Ok, here's an old picture of my tank, not the best but you get the idea of the foam rockwork on the back. Once it gets encrusted with life you really can't tell the difference between it and the live rock.

I have to say though that the foam on Scott's tank is going to look much better than it does on my tank. With the 30" width of the tank we were really able to add some nice lumps/bumps that really make it look real.

We are expecting the Oceansmotions 4 way to be delivered today and I'm sure Scott will be busy plumbing that in tonight. Hopefully he will post some more pictures of the plumbing progress for everyone.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 2-AI Sol blues with 2-T5s for supplementation, Trigger sump and Titan skimmer, 2-MP40wes, 1 MP10wes, OM return, Apex controller
Reefmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2005, 11:04 AM   #55
reefah
Registered Member

Wow, you almost can't distinguish between the foam and the live rock, it all looks natural!

reefah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2005, 11:10 AM   #56
NOLACLS
Registered Member

That is pretty sweet! Did you start with black foam as well?

Unread 02/23/2005, 11:31 AM   #57
Reefmaiden
Registered Member

Yeah, it is the same exact black foam that Scott used. Once it gets dusted with sand and corraline, etc grows on it it takes away from that shiney silvery-black appearance as it looks in Scott's tank right now. The picture I posted is really bad, the bulbs had shifted in the tank so the right side looks a little yellow, but the foam is actually black/grey.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 2-AI Sol blues with 2-T5s for supplementation, Trigger sump and Titan skimmer, 2-MP40wes, 1 MP10wes, OM return, Apex controller
Unread 02/23/2005, 11:34 AM   #58
NOLACLS
Registered Member

Very ...I may have to try that out one day

Unread 02/23/2005, 11:38 AM   #59
Carl_in_Florida
Registered Member

Not trying to hijack but the only great stuff that i have seen is yellowish. what is the black stuff?

Carl

Unread 02/23/2005, 11:40 AM   #60
RonSF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl_in_Florida
Not trying to hijack but the only great stuff that i have seen is yellowish. what is the black stuff?
I'm not sure what they used, but Aquatic Ecosystems sells a black foam designed for water gardens.

Unread 02/23/2005, 11:40 AM   #61
sidewinder770
Registered Member

It takes a bit more foam than you expect as well- each can covers about 1.5 sq ft. The foam we used is "handi-foam" black pond foam- there are a few online resellers that sell it.

Just in case you were wondering which was which-

Current Tank Info: Currently between tanks- previous tank was the June 2007 Tank of the month.
sidewinder770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2005, 11:47 AM   #62
Reefmaiden
Registered Member

Here's a link to the type of foam that we used:

Handi-foam

It is designed for waterfalls/water gardens and is fish safe.

Unread 02/23/2005, 11:58 AM   #63
Carl_in_Florida
Registered Member

thanks for the link.

Carl

Unread 02/24/2005, 05:11 AM   #64
mako56
Premium Member

This is a very cool project can't wait to see the plumbing pics.

mako56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2005, 09:02 AM   #65
NOLACLS
Registered Member

Wow I didnt realize there was that little of live rock in there...verry

Unread 02/24/2005, 02:02 PM   #66
JustReefIt
Premium Member

Hi Erin,
I've got to come take a look at this monster!! I really like the black foam idea and wish I would have had more time to aquascape my 210. I only had a matter of days (more like hours) to set-up and transfer everything.
Is the tank at your place or at Scott's? I'm not sure if I've met Scott....
Anyways...the tank is looking incredible and I'll have to come by sometime and take a look, good Luck!! When you're up and running we'll have to do some serious trading, you guys should come by and check out my new tank.

Later
Brian

JustReefIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2005, 02:35 PM   #67
Reefmaiden
Registered Member

Hey Brian-

You are welcome to come by and take a look at it - I would certainly love to see your new tank too! The tank is at Scott's house in Mesa. Can't wait to do some trading with you, going to have alot of room in that new tank for frags!

Unread 02/24/2005, 03:01 PM   #68
what fish
Registered Member

Could the foam work on a glass tank???? and if so do you have the tank on its side and after you spray it and add the dead rocks what will suport ti when you stand it back up??? I have heard of this before and have a 225 that we are getting ready to set up and would luv to do that . any advice would be much looked for.

Current Tank Info: I have have no tanks!!!!!!!!:*(
what fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2005, 12:12 PM   #69
sidewinder770
Registered Member

what fish- I think it would work just fine on glass. Basically I just turned the tank on its back and sprayed the foam on- it's messy and kind of a pain to work with as it gets very "clingy" (latex gloves are a must !). It dries to the touch in a few minutes and is completely dry within 24hours. You can sculpt it so it's 1/2" thick up to 3 or 4 inches thick. You can apply a second coat for more lumps/bumps after only a few minutes as it will harden enough by then. If you decide to add "real" rock just do it when it's wet and hold it in place for a few minutes so it doesn't fall over. Let it harden up for a day and the rock shouldn't go anywhere. I had planned on adding a few rocks as well but decided to make my own "rocks" by sculpting the foam. It really makes it easy to put "rock shelfs" where you want them and makes it a breeze to stick frags on.

Here is a pic of the plumbing so far. I have the 4 way plumbed as well but don't have any pictures of it yet. I'll get some more pictures this weekend and maybe some of it while it's filling with water and the pumps are running.

Current Tank Info: Currently between tanks- previous tank was the June 2007 Tank of the month.
Unread 02/25/2005, 01:29 PM   #70
Fliger
Registered Member

Hey Scott, before you fill it you oughtta slide a pre-cut piece of plywood underneath the frame. I did that and just caulked it to the frame for VERY temporary support. It makes a really nice base to put things on, plus you might be able to attach the face plate to it, as well as whatever basin you build underneath the stand.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2005, 02:07 PM   #71
sidewinder770
Registered Member

Good advice for sure and thanks for mentioning it. The plywood in the picture is what's left of the 4' x 8' sheet I had to cut for the piece that will go under the stand. the correct piece was still in the garage drying from it's 3rd coat of paint and I just stuck that under there so I could get a good estimate of what the height would be so I could put the pumps in. I also didn't want to spill pvc primer and cement all over my newly painted piece of plywood - I get kind of messy on my pvc joints after inhaling the glue fumes for a while - what can I say- I like the smell but it makes you loopy after a while!

Last edited by sidewinder770; 02/25/2005 at 02:28 PM.
Unread 03/02/2005, 05:11 PM   #72
hk
Registered Member

I LOVE that foam idea!

Unread 03/03/2005, 09:24 AM   #73
NOLACLS
Registered Member

If you are putting the stand on the edges of the wood that will be on the bottom...if its sealed up and water tight you could have a emengcy catch basin if anything sprung a leek. Im thinking of doing that on mine when I build it. I might just weld a thin sheet of steel on the bottom.

Unread 03/05/2005, 11:33 PM   #74
Alphabet
Registered Member

Great ideas and pics, things are looking good. I love the powdercoated stand too!

Current Tank Info: downsized to 75g
Alphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2005, 02:47 PM   #75
eraml
Registered Member

Just tagging along on this project.

eraml is offline   Reply With Quote