Unread 05/17/2018, 03:48 AM   #26
StarF
Registered Member

so was it 6 month you were dosing ?

StarF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 08:18 AM   #27
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Yes. This did not start as any kind of a science project, so there is no strict log or control, but six months of the double dose every day.

Anecdotally, there are few others that I have met in PM that are a few months in and seeing the same trends...massive dieback, no new eggs, no small worms, but still mature worms wandering around that have not died yet.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 09:04 AM   #28
macdaddynick1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Yes. This did not start as any kind of a science project, so there is no strict log or control, but six months of the double dose every day.

Anecdotally, there are few others that I have met in PM that are a few months in and seeing the same trends...massive dieback, no new eggs, no small worms, but still mature worms wandering around that have not died yet.

Did you have the FW stop on a doser, or did you dose manually? Also, does it need mixing prior to being dosed?

macdaddynick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 10:25 AM   #29
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You shake the bottle and dose it every day. I did not do it personally, the guy who owned the tank did.

Unread 05/18/2018, 01:56 AM   #30
StarF
Registered Member

Quote:

Good to know.. Now if only someone was brave enough to test the wormwood stuff directly

Thanks for the feedback!

Unread 05/18/2018, 06:05 AM   #31
Piper27
I love bengals

I have a friend who is confident they are gone as well. Same scenario, 6 months heavy dosing and basting, 6 months later not a single sign of them.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 07:46 AM   #32
macdaddynick1
Registered Member

Good/Great In-Tank Option for AEFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
I have a friend who is confident they are gone as well. Same scenario, 6 months heavy dosing and basting, 6 months later not a single sign of them.

How much was he dosing? Also, did he do anything besides dosing and basting? Does he have a wrasse?

Unread 05/18/2018, 08:11 AM   #33
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

A double recommended dose.

He has some sort of H. wrasse... but they do not do much. With some colonies the size of footballs, they cannot get into the middle of these. Neither can most crabs and shrimp, which will also eat them if they can reach them.

I doubt that he basted. He does have good flow. This is an unknown to me. I have never seen a turkey baster over there.

We did take the ones out that we could and dip them in Bayer. ...maybe 1/3 of the colonies. They got infested again after the dips, but we saw a worm or two, not hundreds. One large A. Valida might have had 500 worms on it from pin-head size to the size of a rolly-polly bug. It was during subsequent dip that we saw no eggs and no more little worms that I started to get excited.

Unread 05/18/2018, 08:36 AM   #34
Piper27
I love bengals

Some wrasses but they didn't do anything to help. Most fish will end up eating them once they get used to seeing them fly off the acros. Even tangs. Nothing besides basting and a daily double dose of fws. Not many large colonies like jda's friend but enough to where wrasses and shrimp cant get into a lot of them. No dips were done ever. It wasn't a huge infestation because we cought it early and kept them in check with basting until the dosing started. The people who say its snake oil didn't try it long enough or didn't keep their tank stable or something.
I do believe daily basting will remove them from the tank at some point, but results we got with the fws was amazing. We could find a worm every now and then in the beginning and a month in the damage from the random worms was gone and not seen again, even if we saw a worm there, it was not eating much. So the acros would heal right away and the worms faded out. After a few months we stopped seeing worms. It's been about 6 months since he stopped basting and stopped the double dose of fws.
The trick with beating these worms, with whatever method your using, would be to get the population in check before you start trying to get rid of them for good. Jda used dips to knock back the numbers and get the colonies healthier. We used basting yo get the same results. I would not try to do this without basting, I am not sure fws alone will starve out a good worm population without blowing them off the corals and letting fish eat them. It could be possible but basting will knock months off your time you spend with an infected tank.
Aefw are not the worst pest anymore. If someone has or gets aefw there should be no panic or sudden decisions. I see most coral loss from people setting up quick qt tanks that are unstable and losses start when corals are added to it. Dipping from the display tank is still much easier imo and even with large colonies it can be done very effectivly.

Unread 05/18/2018, 08:40 AM   #35
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

This is right.

We dipped because we did not know that this was a solution. Had I known what I know now, probably would not have dipped the colonies.

There is certainly no risk in basting.

I get who some people are mad since the FWE does not kill the worms... but the tank did not get an infestation overnight, so taking a few months of dosing is not all that bad. It is a good, manageable solution with no known side effects... the FWE is perfectly reef safe even when added daily.

Unread 05/24/2018, 01:32 AM   #36
StarF
Registered Member

i had a friend who had AEFW, i managed to catch 5 of them, and but them in a 20ml container, and added 5 drops of FWS, the worms were dead after 15 minutes (they had disolved??)...

now 5 drops to 20ml of water is a bigger concentration than what we are adding to the aquarium, but it did kill them... just thought it was interesting.

Unread 05/24/2018, 02:08 AM   #37
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
I get who some people are mad since the FWE does not kill the worms... but the tank did not get an infestation overnight, so taking a few months of dosing is not all that bad. It is a good, manageable solution with no known side effects... the FWE is perfectly reef safe even when added daily.
Not only this, corals will look healthier. Its tissue will be thicker and colors will look more saturated.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 09:32 AM   #38
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

This is a very interesting thread and I hope more people contribute with their results. I've been lucky (knock on wood!) to not get AEFW yet, but I've been reading lately on dipping with Melafix. It sounds interesting and is likely the same thing as FWS though in a different concentration (and a lot less money!)? I current dip with Bayer, but thinking about adding a Melafix dip to my regime.

Unread 05/24/2018, 05:54 PM   #39
f3honda4me
Registered Member

I can add another datapoint. I received a colony that was afflicted with aefw, and since it was the only coral in my small QT I did a quadruple dose of FWS. 4 weeks later and I see no more bites, eggs, or FW. Haven’t seen them since after the first week actually. I am repeating this test again with another acro frag I tracked down and have switched to double dose of FWS. The original colony is still in QT as well. Will see how this pans out and if it works again. Documenting with pictures this time.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 08:24 AM   #40
Piper27
I love bengals

Diving the world, melafix marine is the best dip for aefw ime. And a good all around dip as well. It was used a while back a lot and got pushed out of use by a lot of new products flooding the market made for coral dipping specifically. At least that's how I saw it at the time.

Unread 06/03/2018, 04:06 PM   #41
Hebby
Registered Member

Just reading this thread as i saw it posted to a facebook page that was on my feed. Its always good to read stuff even when it hasn't effected you because at some point it prob will :/
Anyway on the subject of Melafix dips. i use melafix and contacted API about the marine version as i had been sent just the normal one from my supplier. I was told there is no difference in ingredients between any of the versions from Pond to marine. the only difference is strength. Normal melafix is .25 stronger than the marine version that is all

Just on the AEFW subject too. Melafix knocked AEFW off a small colony i received knowing it had AEFW is i could do a couple of tests with melafix and camel shrimps. Melafix knocked the worms off in seconds and the camel shrimp munched them like cookies. once finished with the colony it went in the bin where the OP was chucking it anyway.

Hebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 09:14 AM   #42
naecO.rM
Registered Member

Thank for info sharing.
Could anybody add a link to original threat please?

naecO.rM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 09:21 AM   #43
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

It is the same info. You cannot post links to R to R on here.

Unread 06/11/2018, 09:32 AM   #44
naecO.rM
Registered Member

Quote:
It is the same info. You cannot post links to R to R on here.
I read the original topic ages ago , but can't find it.
That will be great, If you could pm me a link for original topic from where that recipe is. Cheers.

naecO.rM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 03:36 PM   #45
nogascans
Registered Member

Personal experience with previous tank I had set up. Always was religious with Bayer but somehow some AEFW got thru. I tried the cut/remove colonies and dip. It was just too hard on colonies and individual frags.

Finally went thru the process of figuring how much FW Exit I needed to kill them in gallon of dip, and then factored it up to what I needed for 90 gallons water volume (estimated). Saw results right away including better colors and growth, though I could still kick some AEFW loose with power head/baster. I ended up at 3 x dose I started with, and did the dosing every 6 days for a total of 60 days. Continually saw a reduction in eggs and AEFW, and by end of cycle I couldn't find any AEFW. This was in 2016, and at end of 2017 I was still AEFW free. No wrasses/PP shrimp were present so I'd have to say the in-tank treatment was successful.

As a side note, I no longer take in any frags on frag plugs, and cut them loose, discard the plugs for vinegar and Acid dip for reuse later, re-glue frags after Bayer dips.

Sincerely,

David

nogascans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 03:43 AM   #46
Piper27
I love bengals

Flat worm exit? Or flat worm stop?

Unread 08/15/2018, 12:22 PM   #47
BruceWayne
Registered Member

Great info thanks for sharing.

BruceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2018, 08:46 AM   #48
takayan
Premium Member

any update? I am interesting in this method.

takayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2018, 08:49 AM   #49
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Totally worked. No more worms in the ground-zero tank. I have gotten a few PMs on both boards with thanks for their successes.

It is not fast, but also perfectly safe. Capp had some of the stuff from UWC (Purge?) that works faster, but there are a few folks that have had some die-off from it.

I am just up the road if you ever want to chat about it.

Unread 10/13/2018, 01:10 PM   #50
macdaddynick1
Registered Member

Quote:
Totally worked. No more worms in the ground-zero tank. I have gotten a few PMs on both boards with thanks for their successes.

It is not fast, but also perfectly safe. Capp had some of the stuff from UWC (Purge?) that works faster, but there are a few folks that have had some die-off from it.

I am just up the road if you ever want to chat about it.

I am wondering if it is a good idea to do both treatments at the same time.