Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2018, 04:20 PM   #1
mav.23
Registered Member

Valentini Puffer

Hey guys! I want to get a mated pair of coral banded shrimp for my DT. Only problem is I have an engineer goby, Valentini puffer and melanurus wrasse in that tank who are not always invertebrate safe. I had an emerald crab in that tank for a really long time without any complications, but I know they have big claws and a hard carapace so it would be hard for the fish to attack. (and that crab was a grumpy guy anyways) What I want to know is, will the coral banded shrimp be able to protect themselves with their massive claws? The ones I'm looking at are maybe 2 1/2- 4 inches (I haven't seen them in person yet), and my Valentini (to my knowledge full grown) is about 3 inches. Other tankmates- 5 to 7-inch long convict blenny, 2-inch long melanurus wrasse (still young), 2 ocellaris clownfish (one is only about two inches would the cbs catch and eat him? The other is 3-inches), and a yellowtail blue damsel (only about an inch but about 2 years old). Would my fish hurt the cbs/ would the cbs hurt any of my fish? I've heard of cbs killing young/small fish, but also have heard about fish killing and eating cbs. Any help is welcome! (PS this is 50-gallon deep)

mav.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I think your puffer will make fast work of the shrimp.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

I don’t think I would trust a valentine puffer. That said I kept a CBS with a flame hawk for 11 years, most of that time in a 30g. The CBS was much bigger than the hawk from the time it was added. The CBS not only was not eaten by the hawk, but also did not eat any of my fish. It didn’t even eat a cherub angel that died after a rockfall.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2018, 11:04 PM   #4
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly clownfish View Post
I don’t think I would trust a valentine puffer. That said I kept a CBS with a flame hawk for 11 years, most of that time in a 30g. The CBS was much bigger than the hawk from the time it was added. The CBS not only was not eaten by the hawk, but also did not eat any of my fish. It didn’t even eat a cherub angel that died after a rockfall.
Thank you so much! I think I will move my Valentini to a fowlr to be safe

Unread 12/15/2018, 11:05 PM   #5
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
I think your puffer will make fast work of the shrimp.
Thank you! I think I will move my puffer to a fowlr.

Unread 12/16/2018, 08:14 AM   #6
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

I kept mine ina FOWLR, but did keep some corals with her. I placed frags from my other tank isn’t there. She only seemed to both birds nest. She left leathers, frogspawn and scans alone. Your experience may vary, but I figured that when I pruned my aggressive growers, it was a way to reuse the trimmings. I did not try montipora or spongodes because they grow too fast and one of the benefits of FOWLR was not dosing calcium.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 07:28 PM   #7
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly clownfish View Post
I kept mine ina FOWLR, but did keep some corals with her. I placed frags from my other tank isn’t there. She only seemed to both birds nest. She left leathers, frogspawn and scans alone. Your experience may vary, but I figured that when I pruned my aggressive growers, it was a way to reuse the trimmings. I did not try montipora or spongodes because they grow too fast and one of the benefits of FOWLR was not dosing calcium.
Thank you! I think I'll probably keep her alone for right now and get everything situated, but eventually I'd like to add some corals in with her.