Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:25 PM   #26
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiD View Post
So MED, are you using a Metal Halide \ T5 Fixture now?
Yes. I do miss a lot from the LEDs though. The tank ran cooler, I miss the natural cycle from the Radions. I miss the moon Cycle and the controller from the AI's. I miss the Royal Blue LED's for 7-10 pm viewing. I miss using 1 power strip with two cables instead of 3 power power strips with 3 hulking timers. I miss the light spread (Using 2 radions or sol blues allowed me to get light to all sides of my spires, the MH light doesn't really reach the far sides of my spires that well.)

I just couldn't live without my colors being the best they could be. A bonus is that all of my corals seem happier now. Zoas took off, Ricordeas have better color, SPS are growing quicker and have better color. I need to take a new picture, my colors are even better now.

Last edited by MedRed; 05/05/2012 at 12:59 PM.
MedRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 12:41 PM   #27
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
Yes. I do miss a lot from the LEDs though. The tank ran cooler, I miss the natural cycle from the Radions. I miss the moon Cycle and the controller from the AI's. I miss the Royal Blue LED's for 7-10 pm viewing. I miss using 1 power strip with two cables instead of 2 power power strips with 3 hulking timers. I miss the light spread (Using 2 radions or sol blues allowed me to get light to all sides of my spires, the MH light doesn't really reach the far sides of my spires that well.)

I just couldn't live without my colors being the best they could be. A bonus is that all of my corals seem happier now. Zoas took off, Ricordeas have better color, SPS are growing quicker and have better color. I need to take a new picture, my colors are even better now.
I've also been toying with adding 2 - 250W 20K Reeflux metal halide bulbs to run for 4 hours a day.... I don't really want the heat though... This is the first time I've "Haven't" had to run a chiller. It's just sitting there collecting dust. I don't know why I always have to tinker with things and just can't allow it be left alone.

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 01:00 PM   #28
WiscoReefer
Registered Member

These look amazing! Can't wait for more info!

WiscoReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 01:10 PM   #29
rl225
Fish R Cool M'Kay

Hmm. I'm thinking the existing AI sol control will not work on these. Will the new vega controller work on Sols?

I'm so getting these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rl225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 01:11 PM   #30
rl225
Fish R Cool M'Kay

Google: /2012/05/04/full-spectrum-ai-vega-color/ to see the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/05/2012, 02:34 PM   #31
reefsurfing
Registered Member

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=79

I have owned Sol Blue and Ecotech radions; the above referenced link helps point out the downfall of AI's. You get 500-600 par in the middle but 100 par 12" away so in order to get the type of uniformity you see the radion producing it takes at least double the units. You run four Ai's sols on a 40 breeder and I run two radions that max at 20% power at midday. For my tank, I wanted SPS in every corner, No limitations on placement and no hot spots that can torch or shock SPS. The units that delivered the best look and value for my needs is the radion. Ai is learning from their past mistakes and creating wider spread optics, 80 degrees, the newest optic go into the vega.

AI, Ecotech and Kessil are going to push each other to continuously provide newer and better products. I would be happy to own any of them but still feel my radion is the best to be had.

Ecotech wont comment but I guarentee you see new pucks available within six months and hopfully they will make the decision to go with Nuetral white colors rather than cool white. That is the only part of the Vega I disagree with!

Other than that I am glad to see AI come out with a much more competitve product like the AI Vega. AI, if your listening, change it to NW and add more "very deep blue".

reefsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 04:57 PM   #32
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefsurfing View Post
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=79

I have owned Sol Blue and Ecotech radions; the above referenced link helps point out the downfall of AI's. You get 500-600 par in the middle but 100 par 12" away so in order to get the type of uniformity you see the radion producing it takes at least double the units. You run four Ai's sols on a 40 breeder and I run two radions that max at 20% power at midday. For my tank, I wanted SPS in every corner, No limitations on placement and no hot spots that can torch or shock SPS. The units that delivered the best look and value for my needs is the radion. Ai is learning from their past mistakes and creating wider spread optics, 80 degrees, the newest optic go into the vega.
Changing to all 70 degree optics gave me a really good spread on the AI's. The radions just allowed a less harsh mixing of the light which was especially noticeable considering the radions mount much closer to the surface than the Ai's

Unread 05/05/2012, 05:01 PM   #33
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

^^^ Good points.

I prefer a bluer look in my tank. That's why I'm still using the AI SOL Blue modules. At the momment I'm maxxed out with corals... so now I must tinker with the equipment... This seems to be the never ending cycle for most of us reefers.

Just wondering would "You" Reef Central-ers rather I supplement my spectrum with 2 Radions or 2 Metal Halide bulbs?

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
Unread 05/05/2012, 05:08 PM   #34
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Quote:
Changing to all 70 degree optics gave me a really good spread on the AI's. The radions just allowed a less harsh mixing of the light which was especially noticeable considering the radions mount much closer to the surface than the Ai's
I already installed all 70 degree optics on my AI fixtures so that I could crank them up higher. My blues hit 100% at different times throughout the day but my whites never get above 25%.

With the fan on the bottom of the fixture I'd never mount my (if I bought them) Radions close to the water. They'd be 11 inches above the water line just like my AI units.

Unread 05/05/2012, 06:01 PM   #35
rl225
Fish R Cool M'Kay

What about depth? I didn't think Radions could punch as deep? My tank is 30" deep. Could radions punch as deep as AIs? Also, are you saying I could use 3 or 4 radions over using 6 or 8 AIs and get the same par on the sand?

Unread 05/05/2012, 06:25 PM   #36
rodneyri
Registered Member

more interested to see what the GHL unit has than this one.

Unread 05/05/2012, 06:49 PM   #37
jfingers8
Registered Member

I think 30" deep in a little much for the Radions. I would go with AI for a tank that deep. Not going to get as good as color with AI, but they will definitely punch further down.

jfingers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 07:13 PM   #38
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiD View Post
I already installed all 70 degree optics on my AI fixtures so that I could crank them up higher. My blues hit 100% at different times throughout the day but my whites never get above 25%.

With the fan on the bottom of the fixture I'd never mount my (if I bought them) Radions close to the water. They'd be 11 inches above the water line just like my AI units.
I think the fan thing is completely blown out of proportion. The fan is in its own housing and if you were to get spray on it, you'd just wipe it of. If fine droplets would be just as much of an issue with side mounted fans. I'm most likely to splash water when I'm adding new water after a change. My radions had zero evidence of sucking in salt water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl225 View Post
What about depth? I didn't think Radions could punch as deep? My tank is 30" deep. Could radions punch as deep as AIs? Also, are you saying I could use 3 or 4 radions over using 6 or 8 AIs and get the same par on the sand?
Radions won't punch as deep as Ai's. Even at 24", the radions will be less par.

Unread 05/05/2012, 08:18 PM   #39
reefsurfing
Registered Member

Quote:
The 70's were a step in the right direction but as the thread shows 135 degrees is a lot better. Remember, the AI units tested in the link had 70 and 40 degree optics and were still showing major hotspots. Even all 70's is tight unless its > 24" deep tank; case and point the new Tuna blue! They made 62 degree units for tanks greater than 24 inches deep and 140's for tanks < or = 24" inches. Who knows, maybe AI will suprise us and make wider optics available with the release!

radions will max out at 30"s while Ai's can go to around 40"s

Unread 05/05/2012, 08:25 PM   #40
lotusstar
Registered Member

Hmm, this video? Really? Looks like it'd be a great light for "da club" or a rave. Makes me think the video should be posted on a DJ forum instead of RC. Anyone else get that feeling? Am I the only one who noticed they didn't show the light on a tank? Anyway...

lotusstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 08:26 PM   #41
reefsurfing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfingers8 View Post
I think 30" deep in a little much for the Radions. I would go with AI for a tank that deep. Not going to get as good as color with AI, but they will definitely punch further down.
Vi* vid has radions on an 800 gallon 30" deep tank and they state they are getting 240- 300 par on the sand.

might be worth checking out to make a decision

Unread 05/05/2012, 10:02 PM   #42
Addiction2SPS
Registered Member

For those questioning the amount of AI units needed on a tank I use two on my 40 breeder while my cousin uses two on his 75. Mine are 31" from the sandbed and SPS milli frags are growing great. Don't underestimate these lights. People may think other fixtures are better but to me these are the best for me while other fixtures may be the best for them. Plus AIs only focus is creating LED fixtures.

Addiction2SPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 10:15 PM   #43
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefsurfing View Post
Vi* vid has radions on an 800 gallon 30" deep tank and they state they are getting 240- 300 par on the sand.

might be worth checking out to make a decision
Here is the photo of the tank with the measurements in place.

Take note of the text on the top right corner.

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 06:06 AM   #44
Guillaume
Another reef dependant

Everyone has its preference mixed of subjective and objective reasons! Sad to get aggressive then. If I can add something usefull to this, these articles from Sanjay helped me choose a LED fixture:
PAR from AI (not all 70 optics unfortunately):http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010...ure2#section-1
PAR from Radion: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/1/aafeature
Spectral tests:http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012...aign=clickthru

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 09:17 AM   #45
MedRed
Registered Member

I wouldn't even consider using an AI fixture without all 70 degree optics unless I had a deep tank. I originally mounted the hanging fixture from rails attached to my stand and couldn't get the height I needed to get a good light spread. I switched to all 70's which made everything much better. Eventually I hung the lights from the ceiling and thought great, I can go back to 40º optics. I put them back on, and my tank all of a sudden looked a lot darker and I had a LOT of areas and corals that were receiving light with 70º optics that were in complete shade using 40ºs.

And that is with 2 fixtures on a 24x24x24 tank.

Vivid's tank with the Radions seem to be growing everything just fine. The tank is deep and the Radions are mounted far higher up than the recommended distance from the surface. The aesthetic just isn't there for me. While not bad on the Radion side, the color of the tank and the color of the corals look better on the MH side.

Unread 05/06/2012, 11:52 AM   #46
jfingers8
Registered Member

Just like that photo says PAR meters can't accurately read blue light. So for example if you running your Radions at 100% for blue and royal blue, 50% white, 25 % green and red, you aren't even going to come out close to the PAR that the light is actually putting out because most of the light your putting out is blue. So, in my opinion what is the point?

Unread 05/06/2012, 11:57 AM   #47
jfingers8
Registered Member

If I can grow SPS on the bottom of my 75 gallon that is 18" deep and running it at 50% intensity natural mode, I think its putting out a little more than 50 PAR down there according to Sanjay's testing.

Unread 05/06/2012, 01:19 PM   #48
MedRed
Registered Member

I don't know about the absolute par of the Radions, but I do know they grew corals better than my AI's did... and the response was extremely noticeable within a two weeks.

Unread 05/06/2012, 06:02 PM   #49
mori
Registered Member

I always though that rations were for shallower tanks while the ai were for deeper tanks.
The only thing the ai were missing then was the multy colors. And it seems now they will have it. Hopefully they won't try to charge us an arm n a leg for them

mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 07:48 AM   #50
jfingers8
Registered Member

Radions are for shallower tanks. Anything 24" and under is ideal. AI's can punch deeper, but I think a lot of people under estimate the power that Radions can put out, because they use a 135 degree lens.