Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2017, 02:44 PM   #51
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyd View Post
Was there any ill effects on refugium macro algae like calerpa or chaeto?
Everyone reports no die off or slowdown to MACRO algae.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 10:15 PM   #52
kjonulak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyd View Post
Was there any ill effects on refugium macro algae like calerpa or chaeto?
The reason that it doesn't affect macro algaes is that the biological processes are different vs Bryopsis and hair algae, so the fluconazole does not kill the macro algaes.

kjonulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 08:09 AM   #53
magictalk
Premium Member

Unhappy

Sorry I forgot I could not post link to competing site but this is The biggest news for reef hobbyist in years. It's a true miracle and I'm living breathing proof that it worked in my tank!

Last edited by magictalk; 03/12/2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Adding
magictalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 08:37 AM   #54
magictalk
Premium Member

No cyano detected

Unread 03/18/2017, 11:36 PM   #55
full sinthetik
Registered Member

I just finished this treatment and it worked great.. I went through gallons of Kent magnesium which helped a bit, raising my mag to over 1500. Some still remained, but the flucanozole seemed to finish it off

full sinthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 01:24 AM   #56
magictalk
Premium Member

I finally did a wc tonight after fluconazole in tank for 21 days. Not a trace of Bryopsis or gha in tank. No cyano either. Now if someone can come up with another miracle cure, this time for those clear glass aiptasia!

Unread 03/19/2017, 02:51 PM   #57
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictalk View Post
I finally did a wc tonight after fluconazole in tank for 21 days. Not a trace of Bryopsis or gha in tank. No cyano either. Now if someone can come up with another miracle cure, this time for those clear glass aiptasia!
Lasers. Plus, they are so much fun to play with.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 04:56 PM   #58
dream54ing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
Lasers. Plus, they are so much fun to play with.
Do you have one for rent? I'm thinking about getting one, but the one I was looking at runs about $200+. Not sure if I want to invest That much in a tool I only use once or twice a year

Current Tank Info: 96x36x30
dream54ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 06:08 PM   #59
Mageau11
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread closely. I've been battling GHA in my 54 gallon corner bowfront tank for months.

My tank is not drilled, so I'm running a Fluval 406 Canister Filter, along with an Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer and CPR HOB Refugium with a deep sand bed, rubble rock, and Chaetomorpha.

I'm running 2 bags of ChemiPure Blue in the top tray of my canister filter, one bag of Purigen and one bag of PhosGuard in my second tray of my canister filter.

I've been dosing 4ml of NOPOX daily for the past 4 weeks, along with 5ml of VIBRANT 2x/week. My Nitrates have finally dropped from 25ppm down to 5ppm, and my Phosphates have dropped from 1ppm down to 0.25ppm.

I'm at my wits end with this GHA as I do a weekly water change of 15 gallons and spend 30+ minutes each week pulling GHA off my rocks, but I haven't made a dent!

After reading this thread, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Fluconazole treatment.

Based on what I've read on this thread, I need to remove the Purigen from my canister filter, and stop dosing VIBRANT.

Should I also remove the ChemiPure Blue bags since it has carbon in it?

Is there anything else I need to do, or consider since I am not running a sump?

Sounds like I can continue to run my skimmer to oxygenate the water, and keep my collection cup in?

No water changes for 14 days?

Then how much (%) of a water change should we do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mageau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 08:57 PM   #60
magictalk
Premium Member

Please read the information below before you began!!!
Remove Purigen, Phosgard, carbon and Chemipure!!!
You can continue to run Vibrant at the same time.
Take the cup off your skimmer for the first five days.
This is a single dose only treatment that stays in your tank for 14 days for Bryopsis and 21 days to kill all green Hair Algae.
Make at least a 25% water change after 14 days of all your algae is gone. I went an extra week with the same water to make sure all the roots were gone because my tank was showing no problems.
You would know all these answers if you had read the information on the treatment below.
Bryopsis Cure FAQ's Sheet

****This treatment seems to work best in well lit areas of the tank. Some people are noticing quicker results by adding light to the shaded areas of their tank.*****

Q: Will Fluconazole kill Bryopsis?
A: YES. As of 2/2/17 Fluconazole is completely killing all Bryopsis. There have been no reports of it NOT working.

Q: How does Fluconazole work?
A: Fluconazole blocks the enzymatic pathway for the production of ergosterol. Ergosterol is essential for maintaining the cell wall integrity of plants. Ergosterol (ergosta-5,7,22-trien-3β-ol) is a sterol found in cell membranes of fungi and protozoa, serving many of the same functions that cholesterol serves in animal cells.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill anything else in my system?
A: So far Fluconazole has not killed anything other than bryopsis and GHA. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING else is unaffected.

Q: Where do I get Fluconazole?
A: There are many sources online. The most popular/best choice is to purchase the medication in 200MG CAPSULE.

Q: How much Fluconazole do I use?
A: The suggested dose is one SINGLE dose in the amount of 20mg per gallon of water. There are reefers who are experimenting with using 10mg per gallon right now, but none with completing the 1st "round".

Q: Do I do a WC before treatment?
A: Yes. It would be a good idea as the treatment is for 14 days and expect an increase in NO3.

Q: How do I prepare the the medication?
A: I have noticed with the capsules it is very tough opening them without crushing the capsule. This is what I did. Use a razor blade and cut off the rounded end of the large outer half of the capsule. Then you can very easily pour the contents out into a glass of RODI water or tank water. The amount of water doesnt matter, but make it enough to be able to mix the med up. The med isnt very soluble, but mix it up best you can. Preferably dose at night when fish are asleep. Then pour the entire dose into the DT, or sump. Some have put it into their sump socks. I dosed directly into the DT.

Q: How long is the treatment?
A: 14 days.Maybe up to 21 days if you still have GHA present in the tank.

Q: Do I remove my carbon?
A: Yes.

Q: Do I remove my skimmer cup?
A: Its suggested for at least the first few days if not the entire treatment remove your cup. If you pull your cup you may continue to run the skimmer, or turn the skimmer down as to not allow the skim to enter the cup. You do not want to remove the med.

Q: Do I take my ATS offline?
A: Yes. Completely sanitize it, and reintroduce it after all the bryopsis is 100% gone.

Q: Do I take my bio reactor offline?
A: No.

Q: Do I take my GFO offline?
A: No GFO will not remove the meds.It will also help to remove the po4 from dying algae.

Q: Do I continue to dose H2O2?
A: Yes. It will not interact with this med.

Q: Do I continue to dose Vibrant?
A: Yes. This SHOULD not interact this med. It may help to dose Vibrant as it will assist in NO3 export.

Q: Do I continue to dose colors, alk, calcium, and magnesium?

Q: Should I change my lighting?

Q: If I take my carbon reactor, or any other equipment off line/out of the tank, do I just put them back into the system after treatment?
A: No. Do not reintroduce the algae. It would be best to sterilize any equipment and throw away old media for reactors.

Q: Is it ok to take out my chaeto, or other algae's then put back after treatment?
A: No. this may reintroduce the algae. Leave the macros in the tank.

Q: Do I take my carbon reactor offline?

Q:Should I stop using Purigen during treatment?
A:Yes.

Q: Do I take my UV Sterilizer offline?

Q: Do I do a WC during treatment?
A: No. Unless it cannot be avoided and a WC needs to be done to save life.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill my chaetomorpha or other beneficial maco's?
A: The treatment has not harmed any macro algae.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill the parasitic algae known to burrow through LPS corals?
A: This is currently being researched.

Q: What other nuisance algae's will be killed by Fluconazole?
A: Fluconazole kills the green algae Derbesia also known as GHA. It seems that GHA takes longer to kill than the bryopsis but it still dies. Bubble algae is unknown due to most reefers treating their tanks have been using Vibrant. Vibrant kills bubble algae very well.

Q: When do I do a WC?
A: At the end of the full 14 day treatment. After treatment has completed you will go back to your normal running system. Do a WC as your NO3/PO4 levels may be high from a lot of dead algae. Carbon goes back online to remove the medication. Skimmer cups back on.

-Stevo

This treatment has been a huge success.For so many years we have had to deal with this terrible algae. Well now we can finally say that beating Bryopsis is a reality. No more tearing down your tanks. No more endless hours of pulling and picking at this mess. Fluconazole has made the eradication of Bryopsis from our tanks quick,easy and painless.Please let everyone you know in the reefing community about this treatment. The more people who know,the better.

Testing by @twilliard will be ongoing to determine a minimum effective dosing plan in the near future.

Unread 03/20/2017, 09:56 AM   #61
kjonulak
Registered Member

I had 2 stubborn GHA spots in my 45 gallon which did not completely die after the first treatment. I did need a 2nd treatment, which did the trick. GHA is slower to die, so be patient.

Unread 03/21/2017, 06:20 PM   #62
drtrash
Registered Member

Any issues with sps mine just went pale

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 09:32 PM   #63
kjonulak
Registered Member

I dosed 2 mainly SPS tanks with no issues. In my nano tank during treatment I even added some SPS corals I got that really needed some TLC. Even those corals colored up nicely during the treatment.

Unread 03/22/2017, 07:42 AM   #64
sensei
Registered Member

Great information, thank you all.

I understand that you should not make water changes during treatment becuase you would be lowering the concentration of fluconazole in tank, but what about if you dose the water that you are using for water change?

I have read that sometimes 14 days is not enough and some people wait 21 days for bryopsis to be completelly erradicated, if this is the case I could still do the 10% weekly water change if I dose with fluconazole the water for the water change and keep treatment for 3 weeks in tank. In this way I can still be controlling nutrients through WC and treat with fluconazole at same time.

can you tell me if this sounds apropriate??

Thanks

Unread 03/22/2017, 09:57 AM   #65
kjonulak
Registered Member

I have an AWC on my 45 gallon. I dosed the fluconazole in my clean SW bucket and let the system run as normal. So I would think if you wanted to do water changes, as long as you add back in the amount of fluconazole removed.

Unread 03/22/2017, 10:05 AM   #66
sensei
Registered Member

Thanks a lot.

leaving the fluconazole in the tank for 21 days would be best?
I ask to be sure all bryopsis is totally killed?

or even with 21 days, it could reappear and you could need a second dose?

Unread 03/22/2017, 11:17 PM   #67
kjonulak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Thanks a lot.

leaving the fluconazole in the tank for 21 days would be best?
I ask to be sure all bryopsis is totally killed?

or even with 21 days, it could reappear and you could need a second dose?
Each tank is different. My nano tank which had a lot of Bryopsis took 14-16 days for the Bryopsis to die. My 45 gallon only had a couple of spots of Bryopsis, was Bryopsis free in 4 days. My GHA took 2 doses in both tanks.

Unread 03/23/2017, 01:11 PM   #68
sensei
Registered Member

Thanks for your answer,
how many days did you leave fluconazole in your 45 g for the first dose?
did you completely removed fluconazole form the water with Water changes before doing the 2nd dose?

Unread 03/23/2017, 03:19 PM   #69
kjonulak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Thanks for your answer,
how many days did you leave fluconazole in your 45 g for the first dose?
did you completely removed fluconazole form the water with Water changes before doing the 2nd dose?
My 45 gallon has an AWC system. So it continued to do daily changes during the treatment. The replacement water had fluconazole in it for the first 14 days. I waited to day 21 to do the 2nd dose so for 7 days the replacement water did not have fluconazole in it. During that time it would have done a 10% water change.

I then did the 2nd fluconazole treatment for another 14 days with the replacement water having fluconazole in it. After the 14 days I went back to just my plain SW in my fresh SW bucket and I have been running that way since.

Unread 03/23/2017, 04:40 PM   #70
sensei
Registered Member

how long has it been since you did this treatment?
you have not seen bryopsis in your tank since then?
what about GHA?

I ask because GHA can be a matter of nutrients and even if you kill I suppose it would come back if the underlying cause is still there.

Unread 03/23/2017, 05:59 PM   #71
kjonulak
Registered Member

I started treatment late December. Bryopsis and GHA are gone and I haven't seen any signs of it returning. I had very little Bryopsis and GHA in my 45 gallon. My nano had a lot of Bryopsis and very little GHA. I did the 2nd treatment just to see if the fluconazole would kill off the GHA, which it did.

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:11 PM   #72
sensei
Registered Member

Thanks a lot.
I will dose my frag tank today.

Unread 03/24/2017, 09:30 AM   #73
Mael
Registered Member

All algae in my tank is gone except for some turf/hair that is still clinging on. 2nd dose happens monday and I will be dosing the frag tank as more of a preventative measure and to clean up some algae in the sump.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 05:57 PM   #74
sensei
Registered Member

will fluconazole also attack bubble algae?

Unread 03/24/2017, 07:24 PM   #75
Mageau11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictalk View Post
Please read the information below before you began!!!
Remove Purigen, Phosgard, carbon and Chemipure!!!
You can continue to run Vibrant at the same time.
Take the cup off your skimmer for the first five days.
This is a single dose only treatment that stays in your tank for 14 days for Bryopsis and 21 days to kill all green Hair Algae.
Make at least a 25% water change after 14 days of all your algae is gone. I went an extra week with the same water to make sure all the roots were gone because my tank was showing no problems.
You would know all these answers if you had read the information on the treatment below.
Bryopsis Cure FAQ's Sheet

****This treatment seems to work best in well lit areas of the tank. Some people are noticing quicker results by adding light to the shaded areas of their tank.*****

Q: Will Fluconazole kill Bryopsis?
A: YES. As of 2/2/17 Fluconazole is completely killing all Bryopsis. There have been no reports of it NOT working.

Q: How does Fluconazole work?
A: Fluconazole blocks the enzymatic pathway for the production of ergosterol. Ergosterol is essential for maintaining the cell wall integrity of plants. Ergosterol (ergosta-5,7,22-trien-3β-ol) is a sterol found in cell membranes of fungi and protozoa, serving many of the same functions that cholesterol serves in animal cells.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill anything else in my system?
A: So far Fluconazole has not killed anything other than bryopsis and GHA. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING else is unaffected.

Q: Where do I get Fluconazole?
A: There are many sources online. The most popular/best choice is to purchase the medication in 200MG CAPSULE.

Q: How much Fluconazole do I use?
A: The suggested dose is one SINGLE dose in the amount of 20mg per gallon of water. There are reefers who are experimenting with using 10mg per gallon right now, but none with completing the 1st "round".

Q: Do I do a WC before treatment?
A: Yes. It would be a good idea as the treatment is for 14 days and expect an increase in NO3.

Q: How do I prepare the the medication?
A: I have noticed with the capsules it is very tough opening them without crushing the capsule. This is what I did. Use a razor blade and cut off the rounded end of the large outer half of the capsule. Then you can very easily pour the contents out into a glass of RODI water or tank water. The amount of water doesnt matter, but make it enough to be able to mix the med up. The med isnt very soluble, but mix it up best you can. Preferably dose at night when fish are asleep. Then pour the entire dose into the DT, or sump. Some have put it into their sump socks. I dosed directly into the DT.

Q: How long is the treatment?
A: 14 days.Maybe up to 21 days if you still have GHA present in the tank.

Q: Do I remove my carbon?

Q: Do I remove my skimmer cup?
A: Its suggested for at least the first few days if not the entire treatment remove your cup. If you pull your cup you may continue to run the skimmer, or turn the skimmer down as to not allow the skim to enter the cup. You do not want to remove the med.

Q: Do I take my ATS offline?
A: Yes. Completely sanitize it, and reintroduce it after all the bryopsis is 100% gone.

Q: Do I take my bio reactor offline?

Q: Do I take my GFO offline?
A: No GFO will not remove the meds.It will also help to remove the po4 from dying algae.

Q: Do I continue to dose H2O2?
A: Yes. It will not interact with this med.

Q: Do I continue to dose Vibrant?
A: Yes. This SHOULD not interact this med. It may help to dose Vibrant as it will assist in NO3 export.

Q: Do I continue to dose colors, alk, calcium, and magnesium?

Q: Should I change my lighting?

Q: If I take my carbon reactor, or any other equipment off line/out of the tank, do I just put them back into the system after treatment?
A: No. Do not reintroduce the algae. It would be best to sterilize any equipment and throw away old media for reactors.

Q: Is it ok to take out my chaeto, or other algae's then put back after treatment?
A: No. this may reintroduce the algae. Leave the macros in the tank.

Q: Do I take my carbon reactor offline?

Q:Should I stop using Purigen during treatment?
A:Yes.

Q: Do I take my UV Sterilizer offline?

Q: Do I do a WC during treatment?
A: No. Unless it cannot be avoided and a WC needs to be done to save life.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill my chaetomorpha or other beneficial maco's?
A: The treatment has not harmed any macro algae.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill the parasitic algae known to burrow through LPS corals?
A: This is currently being researched.

Q: What other nuisance algae's will be killed by Fluconazole?
A: Fluconazole kills the green algae Derbesia also known as GHA. It seems that GHA takes longer to kill than the bryopsis but it still dies. Bubble algae is unknown due to most reefers treating their tanks have been using Vibrant. Vibrant kills bubble algae very well.

Q: When do I do a WC?
A: At the end of the full 14 day treatment. After treatment has completed you will go back to your normal running system. Do a WC as your NO3/PO4 levels may be high from a lot of dead algae. Carbon goes back online to remove the medication. Skimmer cups back on.

-Stevo

This treatment has been a huge success.For so many years we have had to deal with this terrible algae. Well now we can finally say that beating Bryopsis is a reality. No more tearing down your tanks. No more endless hours of pulling and picking at this mess. Fluconazole has made the eradication of Bryopsis from our tanks quick,easy and painless.Please let everyone you know in the reefing community about this treatment. The more people who know,the better.

Testing by @twilliard will be ongoing to determine a minimum effective dosing plan in the near future.

Thank you for all the great information!

I did a 30% WC today, removed all my ChemiPure bags, Purigen, Phosguard, and Skimmer cup, and I just dosed my 54 gallon tonight with 1,000mg of Fluconazole over a 90 minute period with my AccuDrip acclimator.

Let the process begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mageau11 is offline   Reply With Quote