Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:59 PM   #1
micmacg
Registered Member

Just want good led no special stuff

I am looking for good led for 65 gallon. Nothing special just good to grow my sps. Not particular - Don't want to sell my first born grandchild - Any suggestions?

micmacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:13 PM   #2
micmacg
Registered Member

leds

have 65 gallon and 30 gallon want some good led nothing special no phone apps etc. . . not a techie just want to grow my sps and leathers.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:26 PM   #3
jdraider75
Registered Member

Look into Ocean revive or reef breeders, or sb reef lights.

jdraider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:44 PM   #4
ajoe
Registered Member

Their motto is "keep it simple". Sounds just up your way.

http://www.maxspect.com/index.php?op...id=483&lang=en

Might be a bit more than you want to spend but the investment in your time and all those SPS will pay off. Likely find a nice used one at a discounted price over here in the selling forum. Check it out and/or run a quick search.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

enjoy grandpa ;-)

ajoe

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:31 PM   #5
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Mars aqua are like $95 on eBay and work good. A lot of people use them and there is a huge thread on here about them if you search.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 07:06 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraider75 View Post
Look into Ocean revive or reef breeders, or sb reef lights.
^^ If you want something that has legs that will mount on the top of your tank then those listed are where you should direct your attention..

If you want (or are ok with) hanging ceiling mount then Amazon/Ebay,etc... have multiple "black box leds" specific for reef tanks under brands like "Mars Aqua, Viparspectra, Phlizon,etc..".. Most of those are basically the same only minor differences are built in timers, multiple power cords vs one, etc... all very minor differences though really..

Unread 02/23/2018, 04:51 PM   #7
micmacg
Registered Member

I keep asking if the Mars Aqua or Viparspectra are UL Approved Power Source and no one will respond so I'm hesitant to use one of the black box leds. Do you have any thoughts?

Unread 02/23/2018, 06:00 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmacg View Post
I keep asking if the Mars Aqua or Viparspectra are UL Approved Power Source and no one will respond so I'm hesitant to use one of the black box leds. Do you have any thoughts?
They typically are not...
They will state UL in some of the advertising but its only certain components like the wire used,etc.... that will carry a UL recognition and not the light nor is the power supply..
Its that good old Chinese deceptive marketing..

A few of the ads do say what is UL though.. But its said to make the unaware buyer happier when it doesn't mean squat..

Quote:
HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS
Low-noise fan with dual-bearing blade and high rotating speed to offer effective cooling. UL certification wires inside the panel. 100% safe! You may check numbers on the wires with that on UL website
Having said all that though there are TONS of them out there and very few reports of issues.. none serious that I've seen on any of the ones now..

I own 3 and am not worried about it..
My house is equipped with AFCI breakers though so any arcing and power goes out.. They are also on a GFCI circuit too..
I run the mars aqua as my fuge light now..

Unread 02/23/2018, 09:44 PM   #9
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I have not heard of any fire or electrical issues with the black box leds. All reviews seem good. if you want led and want low cost a d basic Mars is hard to beat.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:16 AM   #10
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I would say maxspect razor led would be your best bet, good lighting no special affect, but have 6 points to set.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:23 AM   #11
micmacg
Registered Member

Hey thanks everyone for your input. It has really helped me make a good decision for my little system.

Unread 02/24/2018, 10:38 AM   #12
ericarenee
Registered Member

vispar spectra ... a bit more expensive then mars but much better lights...

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 08:47 PM   #13
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

I have an ocenarevive arctic T-247 and I love it. You would need two units. They sell for around $175 each and are well worth it

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 09:33 PM   #14
Bpb
Registered Member

Just want good led no special stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Reefin View Post
I have an ocenarevive arctic T-247 and I love it. You would need two units. They sell for around $175 each and are well worth it

Are they even still in business? They’ve pulled their sponsorship, from what I’ve heard aren’t answering emails or phone calls, and their products are listed as out of stock on their website. I’d recommend going with at least a more active merchant like reef breeders or sb reef in the class of American warranty’d Chinese black boxes

One thing that bothered the heck out of me about OR is that they bundled the 450 and 470 nm diodes on the same channel. 470 has a MUCH lower absorption rate for photosynthesis than 420nm does. It makes so much more sense to put the 450 and 420nm diodes together on one channel that you’ll run very high, and put the 470nm diodes with the white red and green since you just don’t need as much of that. But...I digress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote