Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2018, 12:39 AM   #1
BClute
Registered Member

T5 Ballast Question

If a t5 ballast is marked as 24 watts or 36,48 or whatever does that mean it can run up to a bulb of that wattage or will it only run that specific wattage. Like can a 24 watt ballast run a 18 watt light? I'm looking for a 18watt t5 retro kit but having trouble finding one, but have no issue finding 24watts and above. Also, if I'm going to piece together a t5 setup what would I need? Ballast, wires, end caps, and a bulb? I'm planning on running one T5 as supplemental light in addition to the LEDs I already have. I've never used t5s before. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 06:27 AM   #2
alton
Registered Member

18 watts is an odd ball size, lamps are hard to come by. And ballast has to match lamp size and number example; 2 - 24 watt or 1 - 54 watt lamp

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 06:41 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

What size tank? This will help because the 24w is designed for a 2ft long, 39w for 3ft, and 54w for 4ft.

Here is an example of a kit: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-ho...-lighting.html

Unread 02/23/2018, 07:09 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yeah why 18W?
Where are you finding an 18W bulb with a decent reef spectrum?

as stated you need an 18W ballast.. but why not 24W (2ft)?

Unread 02/23/2018, 01:36 PM   #5
BClute
Registered Member

T5 Ballast Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
yeah why 18W?
Where are you finding an 18W bulb with a decent reef spectrum?

as stated you need an 18W ballast.. but why not 24W (2ft)?

It's for a biocube.. I have Retro LED setup on there right now that takes up most of the space and most likely is plenty of light. With that being, said about 2 months ago I added a 10k 36watt day light PC into the limited real estate i had left in the hood and it seemed like it helped with growth on some of my shrooms and softies. I believe it provided a lower spectrum that the LEDs do not. The space is so limited that i actually had to turn the PC sideways to fit. So instead of the PC laying flat it's on its side.

unfortunately I made an error when wiring up the PC and added a light switch that evidently was only rated for AC and
I believe it blew the ballast. So instead of just adding another PC I was looking at other Options such as adding a T5.
And just to add that 32watt PC bulb is 16 inches long so I don't have move room/length to work with; I.e why I was looking for a 18watt bulb which I read fell into the length category..

That being said, could a 24watt ballast run a 18watt bulb or would it burn it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BClute; 02/23/2018 at 02:09 PM.
BClute is offline   Reply With Quote