Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2018, 02:23 PM   #1
OffRoad322
Registered Member

Stupid Question - Water Change

Hi All,
Still a newbie, but I was thinking about setting a quarantine tank. Can I use water from water changes in the main tank to fill my quarantine tank.

Is that a stupid question?

OffRoad322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

If it's pretty clean---and if you're sure you're clean of parasites. Here's a trick to ease your new arrivals. Find out the salinity they're coming from (sometimes 1.019 and sometimes 1.024 depending) and set your qt to that. Then when your fish arrive, float them 15 min with the bag sealed to equalize the temperature, then open the bag, test their water salinity to be SURE, then pop them right on into the qt. Acclimation is all about salinity, and if you're spot on, there's no need to acclimate.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 03:04 PM   #3
kiMxD
Registered Member

Can you provide some study about what you're saying? I got interested.

kiMxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Study? You mean acclimation? It's just done to equalize salinity, if you're ok with temperature. If your refractometer (which is real good to have!) shows identical salinity, they can go right in. Bagged fish that are shipped have ammonium in the bag due to respirationn, and opening the bag can release co2, causes a ph shift which turns the ammonium to toxic ammonia--read Death In Bags, at the top of the forum. That'll explain it in more detail.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Indymann99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoad322 View Post
Hi All,
Still a newbie, but I was thinking about setting a quarantine tank. Can I use water from water changes in the main tank to fill my quarantine tank.

Is that a stupid question?
I do this all the time. I setup my WC system so that I can pump DT WC water to drain OR to the QT.

Typically I run the QT for 4-6 weeks with Fresh mixed SW (pumped from Mix Tank -Brute trashcan). Then for weeks 7-9 I use water from the DT. This gets the QT acclimatized to the same params as the DT.

My "fish room" is under the stairs in the basement so its a bit cramped but it works.

Indymann99 BWC system jpg******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

IMG_1220******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Unread 02/24/2018, 10:26 AM   #6
OffRoad322
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymann99 View Post
I do this all the time. I setup my WC system so that I can pump DT WC water to drain OR to the QT.

Typically I run the QT for 4-6 weeks with Fresh mixed SW (pumped from Mix Tank -Brute trashcan). Then for weeks 7-9 I use water from the DT. This gets the QT acclimatized to the same params as the DT.

My "fish room" is under the stairs in the basement so its a bit cramped but it works.

Indymann99 BWC system jpg******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

IMG_1220******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">
That's a great setup, thank you for the ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OffRoad322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 01:04 PM   #7
mwilliams62
Registered Member

I am not new to the hobby but you guys gave awesome advice about QT setups acclimating and using DT water. I hardly setup QT only because I don't buy fish very much. But when I buy my next fish I will definitely do this.

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Jekerry
Registered Member

What about a culmination of corals and inverts? Is all about temperature and salinity for them too?

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 02:00 PM   #9
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerry View Post
What about a culmination of corals and inverts? Is all about temperature and salinity for them too?
For corals and probably depending on the type they should be dipped and treated for any type of parriste that could be on them. Inverts not sure on. Probably acclimate them to temp and water. By the drip method. At least that is what I do.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 02:48 PM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I too use tank water to fill my QT tanks, regardless of whether it contains parasites or not (since the fish are going into it eventually, they may as well get used to it). Think of it as a water change.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 02:52 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerry View Post
Assume you meant combination .....

What you will find is that most fish you buy, whether LFS on online are kept in much lower salinity than you run your tank (some vendors are as low as 1.015) so acclimation is very important. SK8r is spot on that the BEST WAY is to adjust the QT to incoming salinity and then raise it back up over the course of a few weeks. Most inverts you buy are kept in salinity levels much closer to your tank (nominally 1.024) so acclimation is much less important - though you should still check.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote