Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2016, 11:59 PM   #1
gveng
Registered Member

Tunze 1073.040 Loud Hum... HELP!

Bought it two months ago because I thought it was supposed to be one of the quietest return pumps on the market.

When I first set it up I noticed a hum but people told me that it would go away over time, well it hasn't.

Two months later it still has an audible hum. I've cleaned the pump, made sure the rubber ends were secure, tried soft plumbing it, etc... I'm not sure what else to do.

Help!

Unread 04/18/2016, 09:40 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The two bushings on either end are a ceramic sleeve inside a silicon bushing, they need to be seated in their sockets fully and the bottom one needs to be pushed in with a dowel, pen, butt of a small file or screwdriver first, before the impeller is installed. If that has been done, the issue has to be the impeller if the pump has no hard surface contact (suction cups used, not touching a side pane, soft plumbing). We can send one, but please check the bushings, where most people go wrong is they assume the impeller will push it in, it won't, it has to be pushed in with a tool.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2016, 03:18 PM   #3
gveng
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The two bushings on either end are a ceramic sleeve inside a silicon bushing, they need to be seated in their sockets fully and the bottom one needs to be pushed in with a dowel, pen, butt of a small file or screwdriver first, before the impeller is installed. If that has been done, the issue has to be the impeller if the pump has no hard surface contact (suction cups used, not touching a side pane, soft plumbing). We can send one, but please check the bushings, where most people go wrong is they assume the impeller will push it in, it won't, it has to be pushed in with a tool.
Hi Roger,

Thank you for getting back to me. I just got home from work, so I apologize for the late response.

The pump is sitting on the 4 suction cups provided and is soft plumbed using vinyl tubing. It's not touching any walls of the sump. I pushed in the inner bushing with the butt end of a pen and it's still humming pretty loud. Where can I get a replacement impeller?

Thank you!

Last edited by gveng; 04/18/2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
gveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2016, 03:36 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

This would be a warranty issue, just forward me your receipt- Tunze at sbcglobal dot net.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 04/18/2016, 04:09 PM   #5
gveng
Registered Member

Quote:
This would be a warranty issue, just forward me your receipt- Tunze at sbcglobal dot net.
Hi Roger,

I don't have a receipt. I still have the box and paperwork that came with it. I bought it from a local mom and pop LFS by my house. I just called them and unfortunately since I paid with cash they cannot reproduce a receipt for me. Not sure why.

Unread 04/19/2016, 08:48 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

On the front of the pump, usually on one of the four corners or in the impeller chamber will be a 4 digit date code, you would have to have the cover off the front to see it, we could work from that.

Unread 04/19/2016, 03:23 PM   #7
gveng
Registered Member

Quote:
On the front of the pump, usually on one of the four corners or in the impeller chamber will be a 4 digit date code, you would have to have the cover off the front to see it, we could work from that.
Hi Roger,

I don't see a 4 digit date code. I found 2 digits on the upper right corner. Please see the attached picture.

picture:

Thank you!

Unread 04/19/2016, 03:28 PM   #8
gveng
Registered Member

Sorry about the slightly blurry picture, my phone had trouble focusing on the numbers.

Unread 04/19/2016, 03:40 PM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

April 201? is their any chance their is a faint impression, it looks like a missed strike for the year, if not don't worry about it, email me your address.

Unread 04/19/2016, 04:04 PM   #10
gveng
Registered Member

Quote:
April 201? is their any chance their is a faint impression, it looks like a missed strike for the year, if not don't worry about it, email me your address.
Will do.

Thank you again.

Unread 04/22/2016, 04:38 PM   #11
gveng
Registered Member

Big thank you to Roger!

Recieved the new impeller today and I'm happy to report that the hum is gone.

Unread 04/25/2016, 08:33 AM   #12
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Great news!