Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2007, 08:49 PM   #1
matttaylor
Jeeper in my free time

Flatworms that eat algae?

I have a ton of flatworms in my tank that i thought were going after some zoo's i have, but as it turns out they are eating green algae on my rocks. Has anyone seen this before? I'll post some pics a little later. They are eating algae in straight lines across my rock, and after hours of observation today, i am positive that they are in fact only eating algae and not affecting any of my corals, as there aren't any flatworms on my corals. Any thoughts or similar experiances?

Current Tank Info: 150 softie garden
matttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 11:05 AM   #2
coralnut99
Registered Member

A pic would help. What color are they?

Current Tank Info: way too much to list, and still adding more!
coralnut99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2007, 10:33 AM   #3
SpektralerSpeer
Registered Member

Yes, I have flatworms like that. They don't cause me any problems but they seem to have some relationship with isopods because I've noticed that their population levels are closely linked.

Paul

Current Tank Info: 1,300 l (340 g) reef: lighting 4 × 400 W metal halide; 8 × 56 W T5; flow 20,000 l/h + Tunze Wavebox; temp. 26 deg. C; den. 1.0240; pH 8.15; alk. 10 dKH; Ca 410 mg/l; Mg 1,300 mg/l
SpektralerSpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2007, 11:08 AM   #4
matttaylor
Jeeper in my free time

There is not really a way for my to get a pic due to my camera not zooming in well in the tank. They are clear with white splotches on their backs. At first i thought they were small snails since my cerith snail are constantly reproducing, and the newly hatched snails look almost the same without a magnifying glass. However, once the flatwoms migrate to the glass i can inspect them with the magnifying glass, and that is how i was able to identify them as flatworms. I'm not worried about them anymore. I am however keeping a watchful eye on my corals, and if i see any signs of flatworm activity on them it's time to take up arms. So for now, it's a very interesting development that i've never seen before, and i'll keep this thread updated.

Unread 02/11/2007, 11:20 AM   #5
barron
Registered Member

Red planarians irritate your zoas and corals. Especially posilapora and some monti digis. Flatworm exit works great when done perd directions. Get rid of the flatworms they are doing a lot more damage than you can imagine. It is silent but nasty.

barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2007, 12:37 PM   #6
matttaylor
Jeeper in my free time

Actually right now they aren't doing any damage to anything other than algae on the rocks. I have yet to find one on any of my corals, in fact all corals are in exceptional health and growing wildly. Unless i have proof that they are damaging anything in my tank, they are a welcome algae control device.

Unread 03/28/2021, 09:39 AM   #7
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

I would like to know if there is an update to this...it has been several years...
I have just recently encountered a flatworm species in my tank that seems to have zero interest in my coral...it is in my frag tank, they are tiny orangey red, approximately 1mm wide by 3mm long...I have a wide variety of frags in my tank ranging from montis, acros, acans, toadstools, gorgonians, zoas...not one of them shows any sign of stress, I have never seen a worm on any of the corals...they stick to the rocks, racks, frag plugs and glass...
I am convinced they are dealing algae, though they are so small I cant see what they are eating, but it is the only thing that makes sense, since I havent seen any on my coral.

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote