Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2012, 01:07 PM   #201
FrogfishFeeder
Registered Member

So Ive had my blue ring for 2 weeks today...
I gotta say, Im not really worried about it biting me or escaping.
It is the most boring creature I have ever purchased, it doesnt move, it doesnt explore, it just sits there and blends into the rock and you cant even see it.
It doesnt actively hunt the shrimp i feed it, it waits like an ambush predator.

It is in a divided tank and can 100% fit thru the weirs in the dividers, but it is still in the same section I put it in 2 weeks ago...

All in all, I thought it would be a kinda fun adventure to keep such an amazing creature, but now I am of the opinion that they should probably stay in the ocean as they d not make very good display animals whatsoever...

Unread 05/22/2012, 01:03 PM   #202
ItzJustinN
Nano-Reefin' Newbie

pics?

150G Mixed reef in the works!
34G RSM130d & 38G Nuvo for sale!
ItzJustinN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2012, 08:50 PM   #203
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogfishFeeder View Post
So Ive had my blue ring for 2 weeks today...
I gotta say, Im not really worried about it biting me or escaping.
It is the most boring creature I have ever purchased, it doesnt move, it doesnt explore, it just sits there and blends into the rock and you cant even see it.
It doesnt actively hunt the shrimp i feed it, it waits like an ambush predator.

All in all, I thought it would be a kinda fun adventure to keep such an amazing creature, but now I am of the opinion that they should probably stay in the ocean as they d not make very good display animals whatsoever...
Sadly, this is an all too common situation. There are lots of pretty pictures of cephs doing amazing things, but the reality of keeping them can be quite different.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2012, 11:04 PM   #204
hiredgun18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzJustinN View Post
pics?

Might be kind of hard when all it does is sit there and blend in with the rock,just sayin.

hiredgun18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2012, 08:27 PM   #205
Chris Witort
Registered Member

Wow, I started this thread three years ago and it is still crawling along! Cool.

Chris Witort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2013, 03:14 AM   #206
Caronte
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonodactylus View Post
I know the photographer who made the film and who staged the shot in an aquarium. The stomatopod and the blue-ring are from different parts of Australia. It is quite possible that the octopus was damaged in repeated interactions with the stomatopods and may have "leaked" some TTX.

Roy
Gonodactylus, seems like you know a lot about the Hapalochlaena lunulata; let me ask you something:
Assuming you have the right size tank for your pets, which other species can be compatible with them? Researching a little be I found that Moray eels are their mortal enemies, but How about a Volitan lionfish, Anglers, Frogfish or Scorpionfish? Are they suitable with them to live in harmony?

Caronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2013, 09:17 PM   #207
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caronte View Post
Gonodactylus, seems like you know a lot about the Hapalochlaena lunulata; let me ask you something:
Assuming you have the right size tank for your pets, which other species can be compatible with them? Researching a little be I found that Moray eels are their mortal enemies, but How about a Volitan lionfish, Anglers, Frogfish or Scorpionfish? Are they suitable with them to live in harmony?
All of those predator fish would gladly make a meal of any cephalopod they could fit into their mouths. The general rule of thumb is that any tankmates will either become food for the ceph or eat the ceph. Almost always, cephs are species only tank animals.

Here is a good write up on this issue: http://www.tonmo.com/content.php?144...til-It-Doesn-t

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 05:03 PM   #208
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Cephalopods like the blue ring should be housed in a species specific, tight fitting lid aquarium

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2013, 10:54 PM   #209
Blue Ring Sting
Registered Member

I agree. Blue rings should not be imported due to the nature of them venom and the possibility of them biting you. I have myself ordered common octopuses from Indonesia only to received 1 or 2 blue rings instead and by the time you cut the bag open you see it too late. I flushed both instantly. Its so sad that I had to do something like that to beautiful creatures from the ocean but rather that than sell it to someone and worry about there well being. Ill defend the store to an extent, its not there fault that they received it if they ordered a common octopus but I do not support the fact that you can resell it a hobbyist that may have a family, thats completely irresponsible! The sad thing is people dont care, money is money. Here in South Africa we have people selling publicly copperhead vipers for $ 50, cottom mouths for $ 250 and gaboon vipers for $ 400. And no matter what the law is, how many lives are lost and how will law enforcement ever stop these sort of dangerous imports?

Blue Ring Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2013, 01:46 PM   #210
scubakid3
Registered Member

This is a fascinating thread. Learning about legal things and octopuses all in one.

125 gallon reef, 8 gallon nano, 1 Odontodactylus scyllarus, 1 Lysiosquillina maculata
scubakid3 is offline   Reply With Quote