Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2008, 06:41 PM   #1
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Borbonius Anthias With Other Anthias?

Been thinking of purchasing a trio of these guys, in the 2-3" range if I can find them. Does anyone have any experience mixing them with other Anthias? I've got both Bartletts and Bimacs and they are well established. Tank is 500g.

ToTM 3-03

Current Tank Info: Between tanks. Searching for a home
64Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Chooch1
Registered Member

Liveaquaria has several and they lowered the price recently so you could put together a trio that way. Last I looked they were $199.00 each. I don't have any personal experience with them.

How do your Bimacs get along with the Bartlett's?

Chooch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Kigs
Moved On

64Ivy, they get along pretty well with other anthias but not along with each other. They are very solitary, and often act aggressive towards their own kinds. My trio rarely hangs out together, but I'm guessing in a tank as big as 500g, aggression should be real low since they won't run into each other as much.

Kigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2008, 04:14 AM   #4
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chooch1
How do your Bimacs get along with the Bartlett's?
For several months after I introduced the Bimacs, each species pretty much kept to its 'own' side of the tank. But now, they intermingle like they grew up together...at least for most of the day. Many evenings, right round dusk however, the Bimacs go into spawning behavior and the males (I have two) will run any Bartlett female away from their particular area. It's not violent or relentless harassment but they do make it clear that they party is for Bimacs only.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kigs
64Ivy, they get along pretty well with other anthias but not along with each other. They are very solitary, and often act aggressive towards their own kinds. My trio rarely hangs out together.
I'd never heard that before regarding this species. Are yours juvies or adults?

ToTM 3-03

Unread 05/04/2008, 06:00 AM   #5
flameangel88
Registered Member

I added 4 Borbs and a female yel anthias in early March with 4 sizes, Tiny, Small, Medium and Bully (Large). Med & Large died within a week and Tiny & Small still with me since. Small eats alot and grew one-third in size in less than 2 months. I do agress they tend to like to have their individual spaces and have their moments and the bigger one is the aggressor every time. But the chase is not constant and more of get out of my area. The one thing I would say is buy them from a good source and that they had them for for at least 3-4 weeks. So far from all the readings here on RC the ones that died are usually within 2 weeks they had them.

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Kigs
Moved On

ivy, I've kept both juvies and adults. Their solitary personality remained pretty constant regardless of size and age. Though not to the point of clownfish interspecies aggression level, they prefer to be by themselves from what I've observed.

Unread 05/12/2008, 06:51 PM   #7
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Well, they're here. Got one about 3" and two 2"ers. Arrived five days ago. At this point they spend most of their time hidden in one of the rock islands (although there has been no discernible aggression by their tankmates) but when it's feeding time, they have no problem joining in the frenzy. Afterwards, one in particular will hang outside as if expecting a second wave, which is when I snapped the photo below.

Man, I had no idea how beautiful the markings on these fish were. Yes, you have to look close and be quick about it but the rewards are definitely there. The photo has been enlarged somewhat but color enhanced in no way. In fact, it could've done with a bit of Saturation but instead, I just played a little with Levels, Curves, and, of course, Sharpening. Very cool fish.

ToTM 3-03

Unread 05/13/2008, 05:16 AM   #8
Bax
Premium Member

Beautiful fish!

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2008, 01:01 AM   #9
Kigs
Moved On

Fantastic shot Ivy, any updates? How are the trio getting along? From my trio, two of them has singled out the 3rd and constantly abuses it... getting ready to remove it before it gets bad.

Unread 07/10/2008, 04:00 AM   #10
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kigs
Fantastic shot Ivy, any updates? How are the trio getting along? From my trio, two of them has singled out the 3rd and constantly abuses it... getting ready to remove it before it gets bad.
After some of the usual welcoming hi-jinks (one of the Anthias had half of its tail bitten off, I suspect by one of my Crosshatches), they have assimilated wonderfully as far as I can see. No aggression by them towards their tankmates nor each other. The smallest of the trio still likes to stay in or near structure and is hidden most of the day but never fails to swim freely through the water column at feeding time. Wonderful additions and the bitten tail has since healed.

ToTM 3-03

Unread 07/11/2008, 12:15 PM   #11
flameangel88
Registered Member

After 2 months of chasing the bigger one has finally accepted the smaller one and they hang out next to each other.

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote