Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Ruu
Registered Member

Is there a small reliable DC pump option?

I'm looking for something controllable to replace my somewhat old waveline on my new system, which has been very reliable, but is just pumping too much water (and isn't configurable enough - it goes from pushing nothing to pushing way too much in a single power increment in the new tank).

I'm really looking for something that can be reliably tuned down to less than 1000gph.

Thoughts?

Dave

Ruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 03:11 PM   #2
gargoylenest
Registered Member

depends on your budget. But ecotech Vectra would be a dependable one. Or you can pay less and get a jebao, which is, imao, a great pump for the price.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Navig8tr
Registered Member

Tunze 1073.050

Navig8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 03:36 PM   #4
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylenest View Post
But ecotech Vectra would be a dependable one. .
Probably one of the worst DC pumps for reliability is vectra.

Jebao seems to have a better track record, but what I have found is that none of the cheaper DC pumps out shine one another.

Almost all of these cheaper DC pumps are Chinese made and all suffer a lack of long term reliability.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 04:47 PM   #5
scuzy
Registered Member

Red dragon has a mini one that just came out. But it's bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 05:24 PM   #6
HBtank
Premium Member

Reef Octopus, Ecotech, and Skimz have smaller DC pumps sold by reputable sellers that will provide good service. There are more options (more are released every day, such as Apex, Current USA, etc..), and I would stick with a company/seller that has solid warranties or returns when it comes to DC. Other cheaper brands are a gamble, since you are on your own if it does not work.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 06:38 PM   #7
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
Other cheaper brands are a gamble, since you are on your own if it does not work.
Not true, fishstreet offers returns and is a usa distributer.

All cheap DC pumps are a gamble.

Nice thing about Jebao is that they are 3 X less price wise, and have the same reliability as every other brand you mentioned. They are all Chinese in origin and many come out of the same factory as Jebao

#1 pump sold right now is the second gen DCP line on ebay.

Unread 02/07/2018, 06:57 PM   #8
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
Not true, fishstreet offers returns and is a usa distributer.

All cheap DC pumps are a gamble.

Nice thing about Jebao is that they are 3 X less price wise, and have the same reliability as every other brand you mentioned. They are all Chinese in origin and many come out of the same factory as Jebao

#1 pump sold right now is the second gen DCP line on ebay.
The manufacturers warranty.... good luck with that.

http://m.fish-street.com/returns_and_refund

Quote:
Defective Item:
Be sure to read the manufacturers warranty on any product you purchase. Most manufacturers prefer to deal directly with the end user on any warranty issues. If you find an item to be defective, please fill out our RMA Request Form .
Like I said, it’s a gamble. I don’t know why you are trying to pretend Jeboa is going to be replacing pumps.....

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
Unread 02/07/2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Ruu
Registered Member

Most of the options I have seen from Ecotech, Reef Octopus etc are probably a bit too powerful (and the Neptune isn't readily available yet) - when I say under 1000 gallons I mean well under 1000 gallons (I think I would be happy in the 500 range). The Jebao ones actually look to be sized for what I want to do, and since I'm using a pair of pumps it wouldn't be a disaster to have one quit. It's either that or the Tunze for the gph range I'm looking at, and the Tunze is $200 for something that has no controller (a quick read of the manual says *maybe* it is controllable manually via a screw - be nice if it was a bit clearer on exactly how that might work, since I might be more inclined to buy it if I could be sure). I could have a Jebao and one for backup and another one for backup of the backup for the same price.

I don't mind spending money to get something that is just right, but the more expensive options are seemingly too big. If I had the money for a Red Dragon or an Abyzz, I probably wouldn't be talking to you peasants on here.

Dave

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:06 PM   #10
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu View Post
The Jebao ones actually look to be sized for what I want to do, and since I'm using a pair of pumps it wouldn't be a disaster to have one quit.

Dave

That's the whole point, same quality, and you can buy 2 for the price of one of the other cheap Chinese pumps.

With DC pumps your plumbing is key, and the beauty is you can turn them down.

If you go DC and go Jebao, make sure you get the second gen DCP controller.

at 9' I'm getting 600 gph using only 55W with a DCP 10000

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:09 PM   #11
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post

Like I said, it’s a gamble. ..
Like I said 3 X less price, for the same reliability, not a gamble when you can buy 3 pumps for the price of one with a hair better warranty.

Quote:
The manufacturers warranty....
No different then any other cheap Chinese pump

Jeboa sells more DC pumps than all the others combined, and there are very few complaints about the DCP line of sine wave DC pumps that use much less wattage then older style DC pumps.

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:11 PM   #12
LQT
Registered Member

The newer Tunze DC 1073.05 have a dedicated controller and is easily controllable. Plus, Tunze reliability and service through Roger Vitko is second to none!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 09:19 PM   #13
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Like I said 3 X less price, for the same reliability, not a gamble when you can buy 3 pumps for the price of one with a hair better warranty.

No different then any other cheap Chinese pump

Jeboa sells more DC pumps than all the others combined, and there are very few complaints about the DCP line of sine wave DC pumps that use much less wattage then older style DC pumps.
You are saying the warranty and service from Ecotech and Jeboa are the same............... really

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:22 PM   #14
Ruu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
The newer Tunze DC 1073.05 have a dedicated controller and is easily controllable. Plus, Tunze reliability and service through Roger Vitko is second to none!
Erm.. do they? I've looked through everything I can find, including a read of the manual (hell, I read the manual more thoroughly than if I had actually bought the damned thing), and I see no mention of it coming with a controller (feel free to link me to something). I suspect that somewhere in a box I have at least one, if not two Tunze wave controllers that might work (back from when men were men, and Tunze's were square), but now I'm spending $200 dollars and I have to go and fight a squirrel in the shed as well.

Dave

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:33 PM   #15
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Erm.. do they?
but now I'm spending $200 dollars and I have to go and fight a squirrel in the shed as well.

Dave
Not only that you may not get 400gph at 6' head height for 200 bucks. Pass its a small pump.

for $75 you get triple the flow almost the same head height and a controller

proves my point 3 X cheaper and its actually a decent product.

I purchased a DCP 10000 and was impressed so I purchased a DCP 2500 for my GEO calcium reactor. Its dead silent and I'm only using 6.9W

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:45 PM   #16
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Erm.. do they? I've looked through everything I can find, including a read of the manual (hell, I read the manual more thoroughly than if I had actually bought the damned thing), and I see no mention of it coming with a controller (feel free to link me to something). I suspect that somewhere in a box I have at least one, if not two Tunze wave controllers that might work (back from when men were men, and Tunze's were square), but now I'm spending $200 dollars and I have to go and fight a squirrel in the shed as well.

Dave
Here's my newer generation. I bought it new for $170 using a coupon. My tank is not set up yet. Regardless of what others say, I have no issues paying for Tunze reliability and service.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 10:47 PM   #17
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Simplicity dc return pump has a 2 year warranty, price is fair

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 12:47 AM   #18
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
Simplicity dc return pump has a 2 year warranty, price is fair
They are rebranded jebao

Unread 02/08/2018, 08:33 AM   #19
cincyjim
Registered Member

I used a Tunze 1073.05 for years. It's dead silent and completely controllable (out of the box) not to mention you get several battery back up options. The only reason I'm not using it anymore is because I upgraded from a 75g to the 150g and I didn't feel it was pushing enough water for me. You will not be disappointed in this pump!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 09:50 AM   #20
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Probably one of the worst DC pumps for reliability is vectra.
Certainly there have been a lot of reports of the L1 failing, not so much for the M1. The smallest model, the S1, hasn't been out long enough to know .... unless you are just 'assuming' it will be unreliable based on the L1.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:09 AM   #21
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I suspect the actual number of L1s sold vs failure rates is rather low, you just hear more about it than someone who bought a pump with the intention of tossing it in the trash when it died early.

I've been running mine without issue in the sump. It's a sweet pump!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:33 AM   #22
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Certainly there have been a lot of reports of the L1 failing, not so much for the M1. .
That's what I'm basing my opinion from. If a brand fails early or people have a problem, they come here and we hear about it. People have a good experience you may never hear from them.

I think the only reason we see these reports is because that brand sells so many pumps, and is probably in the top 3 brands sold.

I'm sure its a fine pump and it has designs details I like better then the two DC pumps I run.

Unread 02/08/2018, 11:34 AM   #23
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I suspect the actual number of L1s sold vs failure rates is rather low, you just hear more about it than someone who bought a pump with the intention of tossing it in the trash when it died early.

Agreed. They sell a lot of these pumps.

Unread 02/08/2018, 11:38 AM   #24
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
The only reason I'm not using it anymore is because I upgraded from a 75g to the 150g and I didn't feel it was pushing enough water for me.
That's my problem with this $175 pump, not enough flow for as real return pump, and a high price. Its why I don't own a single bit of tunze equipment.

In 25 years I have heard nothing bad and more complements then one can list, less price.

Unread 02/08/2018, 11:58 AM   #25
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post

Maybe, no way to know of course. I also get the privately happy-publicly unhappy notion, but there do seem to be a disproportionately high number of reports of problems with the L1. My M1 has run flawlessly for me for 2 1/2 years now.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 02/08/2018 at 12:59 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote