Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2011, 10:40 PM   #151
beuchat
Registered Member

OK, thank you

beuchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 12:28 PM   #152
beuchat
Registered Member

Updated, this afternoon photos. The gig in DT and the hadonni in QT with antibiotic:

´

I will wait for two days and then reintroduce the blue hadonni back to DT. If the gigantea deflates them I think allelopathy is present between them.

Any ideas, thoughts?

Unread 02/02/2011, 01:35 PM   #153
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Allelopathy could very well be the culprit. I used to have Macrodactyla doreensis in my tank, but when I introduced a blue haddoni the Doreensis almost completely deflated looking like death, and they never opened up fully again when sharing the tank with the haddoni. The haddoni probably shed some nematocysts into the water when being dropped in my aquarium. In the end I had to give away the doreensis to ensure their best health. It is also possible that your gigantea could very well be suffering from a bacterial infection, and the presence of the other anemones is adding further stress to the animal due to allelopathy. Just my thoughts.

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 01:48 PM   #154
beuchat
Registered Member

Thanks ocellaris123

Do you think is there a significant degree of consenus between aquarists about allelopathy among anemones?.

I never hear about it outside this forum.

Unread 02/02/2011, 02:20 PM   #155
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Not sure what others think, but i'm sure allelopathy occurs when mixing different anemone species. Some people have had luck mixing anemone species together, some with multiple species coexisting with out any negative reactions. Than there are those who have had bad experiences with mixing different host species. The first time I read about the negatives about mixing different anemone species was from A. Calfo on wetweb.

Unread 02/02/2011, 02:49 PM   #156
beuchat
Registered Member

OK, would be so interesting to understand how it works. I tried with google search but I only could find articles about allelopathy between anemones and algae.

Then, can I assume no problems of chemical warfare with another gigantea placed in my tank?

Unread 02/02/2011, 03:40 PM   #157
Fishy_Clown
Registered Member

I have never had success mixing Haddonis and Gigs. Multiple Gigs OR multiple Haddonis no problem, but not been lucky mixing them. After a while (in my case) the Gig would always deflate and become unhealthy until removed.

Unread 02/02/2011, 05:09 PM   #158
beuchat
Registered Member

What about giganteas and magnificas?.

I would like to to that if I finally remove the blue hadonni

Unread 02/02/2011, 07:18 PM   #159
ocellaris123
Registered Member

There could be chemical interactions between a gigantea and magnifica. I would focus on getting this gigantea to 100% before you try the mix.

Unread 02/05/2011, 12:06 PM   #160
beuchat
Registered Member

The hadonni will be picken up by a friend next weekend. I hope he does ok in his tank.

Now I am trying to feed the gigantea for first time. I stop the vortechs and place some krill near the mouth but the nem does not make any movement...

I added a vial of reefbooster and he inflated just a bit more.

Unread 02/05/2011, 06:59 PM   #161
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

Well I am at it again. I should have probably let well enough alone. I picked up a green gigantea yesterday. It was well inflated, great looking foot with a closed mouth. The tank it was in had several other giganteas in it, and a couple were not fairing well. so... I decided to try a prophylactic dip with enrofloxacin. I did a 12 hour bath(without waking at 5 on Saturday it ended up being 15 hours). The mouth has stayed closed the whole time. In the LFS, in the bag, in drip acclimation, during treatment and now in the tank. So this is promising.

Here is the anemone right out of the bag:
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/IMG_0145.jpg

Here is the anemone in treatment, no lights as UV will break down enrofloxacin:
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/IMG_0146.jpg

Here is the anemone first thing this morning in the DT:
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/IMG_0148.jpg

Here is the anemone now:
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/IMG_0149.jpg

The trumpeting behavior seems a bit odd, it did this in the LFS too. Mouth looks great. It is so tight, I honestly can't see the mouth in the tank right now, as the tentacles seem to run right up to it. I have tried different flows, as IME and from my reading, that usually the trumpeting behavior is a sign of a lack of oxygen, or a desire for more flow. Nothing seems to make much difference, and high flows seems to beat it around more since it is protruded out. I have seen pictures of Haddoni (I think Todd's maybe?) doing this when sexually reproducing but I don't think that is the case here, no smoke.

I have incredible control over the flow. I have a closed loop with a movable y jet on the floor of the tank, maybe a foot from the anemone. I have an Oceans Motions four way to alternate flow, and I have a valve to adjust just how much flow I want out of the jet. Any suggestions?

jeffreylesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 07:12 PM   #162
5Starreef
Registered Member

It Looks very good !!!

Good luck this time!!

Unread 02/05/2011, 08:57 PM   #163
this is me
Registered Member

Jeff, that's a great looking gigantea. My purple gig also elongate the column 2 to 3 inches sometime during the lights on cycle. I have a ton of flow(mp40 at full blast in a 30"x20" tank).
I know mushrooms do this when the light is not enough. I'm not sure if this is the case but I have 250w DE 6" from the water and the gig is probably 14" from the water surface.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 09:20 PM   #164
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

I have a ton of light. It is on the bottom, so maybe 21" from the surface. I am running two radium 20K 250 Watt SE, and 4 39 watt t5s over a 4x2x2 tank. They are maybe 7" from the surface. It is possible it wants more light, they are light hungry. It is a good idea for sure. Duh, I just realized while typing this that I have a few pieces of screen on top of eggcrate on the top of the tank. Those are now moved. I will try pumping up the volume on the flow again.

Unread 02/06/2011, 05:51 AM   #165
beuchat
Registered Member

Hi Jeffrey, good to hear that! . The anemone looks very healthy

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress

Unread 02/07/2011, 10:42 AM   #166
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

The anemone is deflated this morning. Although you can see in the pictures the mouth is closed, if you look close you can see the barley like strucutre(s) I believe to be the siphonoplyphs(?). Not a great sign, but I will wait and see how it progresses today. The last one to get antibiotics from me smoked out green a few days after treatment I believe. Maybe this happened in the middle of the night as well, a sort of antibiotic water change?

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/IMG_0151.jpg

My fingers are crossed...

I may need an intervention and placed in a facility like The Stichodactyla Ford Clinic, or Giganteas Anonymous.

Unread 02/07/2011, 03:43 PM   #167
beuchat
Registered Member

Yes I think they are the siphonoglyphs, I can see they also in my gig. This a picture from one hour ago:

He has not increased the inflation or deflation since I reintroduced him in DT from QT with antibiotics.

I think the name "The Stichodactyla Ford Clinic" is a great marketing strategy, maybe we could add:

"Come and learn more about our health insurance program for your anemone, because deflation happens".

Unread 02/07/2011, 03:52 PM   #168
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

Update: The anemone has inflated since the lights came on. The mouth is nice and tight now. I tried to get a good shot in low flow, to show the level of inflation, and it seems to be doing well.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/aad24b9d.jpg

I removed the eggcrate completely from the top of my tank, and cut a custom piece to let me continue light acclimation in another part of the tank while giving full light to the anemone. I also cleaned my braces up top too. There is not much else in terms of light I can do except lower my fixture, or move the anemone up. I moved the anemones rock a couple of inches towards being directly under one of my MH. I think I will let it stay where it is for now.

On a side note, my clowns are going bezerk. They have eaten some tentacles from the anemone and they are on it 24/7. They have even gone so far as to nip at my tangs if they are close by. My powder blue does not find this amusing and has gotten dangerously close to being stung by the anemone.

Unread 02/08/2011, 08:00 AM   #169
beuchat
Registered Member

Sounds good. I hope he continues in the right direction

My gig was today with the mouth a bit open... let´s see what happens. Probably he will deflate again.

Unread 02/08/2011, 01:55 PM   #170
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

The gigantea was deflated this morning, but the mouth was still closed. As soon as the lights came on it has inflated again. The mouth is closed and the foot is well attached. I am hoping this is just a sign of it acclimating to the tank. The column is still stretching but not quite as trumpet shaped as before. I think I am ready to give the anemone a little more flow. My only hesitation is how much flow since it is on the smaller side. I have seen very small gigs(2-3 inches) actually move out of high flow situations, so I think flow may be a little Dependant on size(a guess for sure). I have seen videos of large giganteas in tremendous flow. What are your thoughts out there in RC land? Any help would be great.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/IMG_0158.jpg

Unread 02/08/2011, 06:27 PM   #171
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylesser View Post
The gigantea was deflated this morning, but the mouth was still closed. As soon as the lights came on it has inflated again. The mouth is closed and the foot is well attached. I am hoping this is just a sign of it acclimating to the tank. The column is still stretching but not quite as trumpet shaped as before. I think I am ready to give the anemone a little more flow. My only hesitation is how much flow since it is on the smaller side. I have seen very small gigs(2-3 inches) actually move out of high flow situations, so I think flow may be a little Dependant on size(a guess for sure). I have seen videos of large giganteas in tremendous flow. What are your thoughts out there in RC land? Any help would be great.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/IMG_0158.jpg
I would be more concerned with light than flow. If you have enough flow to keep the tentacles moving you should be good. Are you able to move the anemone closer to the light without taking it off the rock?

elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2011, 10:54 PM   #172
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

I moved the anemone up in the rock work, but alas I fear the downward spiral is starting. It has deflated multiple times today, and is no longer sticky. I tried feeding chopped clams today, but there was absolutely no response. It is still attached to the rock, but that is about the only good news. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Unread 02/11/2011, 10:08 AM   #173
beuchat
Registered Member

Good luck, mine has attached and move a bit over one rock. He is still throwing away some brown stuff. Not completly inflated (50%)

Unread 02/11/2011, 10:55 AM   #174
R33f3r
Anemones Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylesser View Post
I moved the anemone up in the rock work, but alas I fear the downward spiral is starting. It has deflated multiple times today, and is no longer sticky. I tried feeding chopped clams today, but there was absolutely no response. It is still attached to the rock, but that is about the only good news. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Usually when this happens, it's pretty much a goner with this species. Attaching is still a good sign like you said. Hopefully it makes it

Unread 02/11/2011, 11:55 AM   #175
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

Here are some shots from this morning. It is still not sticky, and I can see a slow trickle of zooxanthalea. The foot is starting to detach. On the bright side the mouth is still closed and I see no signs of infection. So there may be some promise with the 12 hour enroflaxacin bath. At this point I think I am seeing a failure to thrive. It has been at some level of inflation all morning. I hope the initial low placement in the tank is not the culprit.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/IMG_0159.jpg

Here is the foot:
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/IMG_0160.jpg

Flow is low at this point, I think if I bumped it up it may detach.