Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2018, 03:33 PM   #1
duganderson
Registered Member

Cheaper / generic version of Vortech MP 10????

Is there a circulation pump with the power cord on the outside of the tank that is cheaper than a Vortech MP 10?

duganderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 03:47 PM   #2
jamie1981
Registered Member

nope

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 03:48 PM   #3
dtapke
Registered Member

Haven’t ever seen any pump similar to the MP. Should be able to find some old mp10’s that are pre-quiet drive to use.

AI and Reef Octopus have some slick low profile powerheads but the wiring is in tank with them, and they aren’t exactly cheaper. I think the Reef Octopus starts at $200.

Fwiw, the Ecotechs are wonderful pumps. There’s a reason they’ve got such a long standing fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981 View Post
nope
That's the first thing I thought of.

Unread 11/19/2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
Is there a circulation pump with the power cord on the outside of the tank that is cheaper than a Vortech MP 10?
Not yet !

If I was to buy a Vortech MP 10 here in australia, i'd pay at a minimum of $355 AU.

To put that in context, I could buy several swimming pool pumps for under $150.

Vortech are a rip off (IMO)

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 05:45 PM   #6
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Not yet !

If I was to buy a Vortech MP 10 here in australia, i'd pay at a minimum of $355 AU.

To put that in context, I could buy several swimming pool pumps for under $150.

Vortech are a rip off (IMO)
They are great pumps, I can't argue that. However, I also feel that they are WAY overpriced (as is everything Ecotech). Once their patent expires I think you will see the market flood with similar products at half the price. Until then, you either have to go with Ecotech, or have the cord in the tank.

Unread 11/19/2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
They are great pumps, I can't argue that.
I've been stunned to read several people complaining about the magnets rusting on them.
Not sure that exact model, but that brand.

Unread 11/19/2018, 08:00 PM   #8
dubmaneh
Registered Member

They are good of pumps but I’ve never been really happy with them. Not as silent as some would say (even the QD) and lining them up after moving them is a pain. Don’t do it right and expect to go through wet sides/dry sides which aren’t cheap.

Switched out to Tunze pumps which I couldn’t be happier with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dubmaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 03:46 AM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
I've been stunned to read several people complaining about the magnets rusting on them.
Not sure that exact model, but that brand.

Handful of magnets over hundreds of thousands(possibly millions) of units sold. I would say thats a fairly decent and acceptable failure rate.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 04:11 AM   #10
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Probably a lot more than a handful from probably a lot less units than you're suggesting. Its not rocket science. If your charging so much for a pump, get the quality to match.

Unread 11/20/2018, 04:48 AM   #11
homer1475
Registered Member

Actually I just did a google search, just the initial production line was 15k. Of which had a 90% failure rate.

To date ecotech marine has produced more then 25 million vortech pumps(15 years in production). Which I would argue that most are probably still in operation. Heck every once in a while you see the original mp40 for sale in the classified section, and it still works!

Show me any other propeller pump that has that kind of non failure rate. Or better yet, show me any other company that will replace said broken wet side most times for free regardless of the age, and regardless of whether they are still under warranty or not.

That alone speaks volumes to their customer service, something very lacking in this hobby.

There is a reason mp's are the gold standard in propeller pumps in this industry. Unfortunately being the gold standard, regards a much higher price point. No one complains about the price of an abyzz pump, sicce pump, royal exclusive pumps, or any other pumps with a ridiculous price point. Simply because they work, with very low failure rate, same as an MP.

No one says you have to buy MP pumps, but if you want the gold standard in this hobby, you pay for the gold standard. Just like anything else in this world, quality = $$.

EDIT:
Best part about ecotech, american born company making products right here in america. You can't say that about too many companies this day and age.

Unread 11/20/2018, 04:58 AM   #12
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Show me any other propeller pump that has that kind of non failure rate. Or better yet, show me any other company that will replace said broken wet side most times for free regardless of the age, and regardless of whether they are still under warranty or not.
Ok. I didn't know they basically had a forever warranty.

Unread 11/20/2018, 05:13 AM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

Not a forever warranty, but they stand behind their products and I would assume they hate to have negative press such as magnets rusting. So to save face with their customers they often replace these wet sides for free.

least from the few posts I have seen about the magnets rusting, the OP's usually have the wet sides replaced for free.

Heck I had a wet side fail 2 years out of warranty(plastic that holds the magnet in had the little tabs break off), called ecotech, they sent me a new one overnight for free.

I'm not totally disagreeing with anyone here, they are ridiculously priced, but so are a lot of things in this hobby. The warranty, and CS in my eyes are worth the few extra $$.

Unread 11/20/2018, 06:54 AM   #14
dtapke
Registered Member

The new AI Nero is similar in size to the MP40 and it’s $300 to the mp at $350

The similarly sized Reef Octopus is $280.

So you’re paying a pretty small premium to get the electronics out of the tank, which considering we’re mostly in this for the enjoyment of what’s in the tank, I’m gonna spend the extra $50-70 to get that ugly cord out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 10:42 AM   #15
steallife904
Registered Member

if we are talking wires in the tank I switch from MPs to the gyre a couple years ago. The flow the gyre makes is un matched. I love them. I have run 2 on my tank for 2 years. had 1 issue a year ago and coralvue just sent me another motor without even asking a question.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 02:56 PM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
They are great pumps, I can't argue that. However, I also feel that they are WAY overpriced (as is everything Ecotech). Once their patent expires I think you will see the market flood with similar products at half the price. Until then, you either have to go with Ecotech, or have the cord in the tank.
Maybe. Separate dry and wet sides introduces a lot of additional challenges. I’d frankly not expect Chinese clones even once the patent expires; plus companies like Jebao haven’t been been particularly respectful of existing patents in other areas, so if they could do it I would think they would have already.

Chinese stuff aside, vortech seems no more expensive than Tunze, as example. You want overpriced, check out hydro wizard.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 03:11 PM   #17
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
check out hydro wizard.

1779.00$ Holy crap!!

Unread 11/20/2018, 03:31 PM   #18
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
1779.00$ Holy crap!!

Crazy on its face, but 13k gph. Would need 9 mp10 for that flow, which would set you back 2100. Though 2 mp60 would cover that flow for 1300. So not insane really.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 05:22 PM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

ECM 75 is around $5K - though it does move about 40,000 GPH.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 01:30 PM   #20
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtapke View Post
The new AI Nero is similar in size to the MP40 a.....
If I can find a good B.F. deal on this AI Nero, I think I am going to get one. The design/app control looks really nice and so far I have been very pleased with the AI Prime HD.

As of right now, I can't seem to find any place selling it for less than $300.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 10:36 PM   #21
biecacka
Registered Member

3 of my 4 MP40’s have rusted out and busted magnets in the last few years. I replaced the wet side on the first to go and the next 2 they upgraded the whole unit to the QD model....none of them were done free though. They were done at a discount but NOT free.
Now, I’m not complaining and I enjoy their product but the statement above about doing it for free is inaccurate in my experience.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 12:46 AM   #22
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
3 of my 4 MP40’s have rusted out and busted magnets in the last few years. I replaced the wet side on the first to go and the next 2 they upgraded the whole unit to the QD model....none of them were done free though. They were done at a discount but NOT free.
Now, I’m not complaining and I enjoy their product but the statement above about doing it for free is inaccurate in my experience.

Corey
Very interesting!

Unread 11/22/2018, 04:26 AM   #23
homer1475
Registered Member

Yes not free because of the complete upgrade(assuming driver? But the dry side remained?). The couple I have read about, had the wet side replaced for free.

Even at a discount(assuming these are older and out of warranty since they are not QD models), thats still better then ecotech telling you to go pound salt and buy new ones like some companies would tell you. Customer service such as this is hard to find with equipment in this hobby.

Curious though, how old are these MP40's?

Unread 11/22/2018, 10:16 AM   #24
biecacka
Registered Member

I’m not saying they didn’t take care of me or do right. Yes they are older. But the statement was replaced for free...I replaced the wet side on 2 other MP40’s as well and both cost me money. I have no qualms with Ecotech at all, I enjoy their product. I’m just saying the word “free” didn’t apply to me.
That is all I am saying.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 07:03 PM   #25
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Buy used if the sticker price is too high. That's what I did. I got tired of replacing Koralea powerheads and bought some used Vortechs. I've had mine for about 5 years, and I'm sure they have 3-5 years beyond that on them. I had my first failure a few weeks ago (dry side). I'd say that's worth it, especially given the price drop now that the QD line is out there.

In the end, there is no 'best' in this hobby. It's all about what works, fits your wants and fits your wallet. the first is easy. Matching the second and third can be quite a challenge. Buy what you want, but make sure it's one of the many in the 'works fine' category. Beyond that, the extra features are just gravy, no matter the item.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote