Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2010, 03:03 PM   #1501
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
FWIW, sneeyatch was able to control his pest algae which AF did not control at the recommend dosage with minor negative reactions from his coral. If you are willing to take a chance you may want to follow his procedure to see if this will control your pest algae. Sneeyatch simply dosed AF at the recommend amount but every other day instead of every three days. This could be risky, but as a last resort may be worth a try.
Yep - it's gone and it doesn't look like it's coming back either. It took a little while before seeing results but it seemed like once you noticed a die-off, it happened very quickly. I've maintained a maintenance dose once weekly to be on the safe side, but I think I'm good to go.

Although I noticed some withdrawn corals, I actually think it was more flow related than AFX related. I started playing around with flow direction and my LPS corals opened back to where they were within a couple of days.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 03:15 PM   #1502
Ycore
Registered Member

Well, I'm on my fifth dose of this stuff, and it's done absolute wonders for my algae problem. It's successfuly nuked my Dinoflagellates, green furry algae, and brown furry algae. Stuff just slowly turned whiter and crustier after each successive treatment, eventually being blown off the rock and substrate by my vortech to be filtered away. I will say that it does NOT effect bubble algae (which I had a tiny bit of), nor the more wiry stiff hair algae (which is easier to yank out).

Any reason why not to just continually dose this stuff as a prophylactic?

Ycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 04:49 PM   #1503
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeyatch View Post
Yep - it's gone and it doesn't look like it's coming back either. It took a little while before seeing results but it seemed like once you noticed a die-off, it happened very quickly. I've maintained a maintenance dose once weekly to be on the safe side, but I think I'm good to go.

Although I noticed some withdrawn corals, I actually think it was more flow related than AFX related. I started playing around with flow direction and my LPS corals opened back to where they were within a couple of days.
I appreciate that you have kept us up to date regarding your procedure.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 04:52 PM   #1504
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycore View Post
Well, I'm on my fifth dose of this stuff, and it's done absolute wonders for my algae problem. It's successfuly nuked my Dinoflagellates, green furry algae, and brown furry algae. Stuff just slowly turned whiter and crustier after each successive treatment, eventually being blown off the rock and substrate by my vortech to be filtered away. I will say that it does NOT effect bubble algae (which I had a tiny bit of), nor the more wiry stiff hair algae (which is easier to yank out).

Any reason why not to just continually dose this stuff as a prophylactic?
I had dosed AF for a very long period of time at the three day interval. It did kill my chaeto somewhere after 12 or so doses. I say no other effects. Other hobbbyists have reported the prolonged use killed their chaeto and some other macroalgae that were not identifiable. If you still have algae left that is living and being affected, I would continue dosing.

Unread 10/28/2010, 11:14 AM   #1505
SimonSKL
Registered Member

Here is an update to my Derbesia/Bryopsis problem. As I stated earlier I tried in two different occasions using AF to eradicate my algae problem without any success.

1. 5 doses of AF at recommended doses and intervals in Aug - no improvement
2. 10 doses of AF at recommended doses and intervals in Sep PLUS raising Mg level to 1800 with mixture of MgSO4 and MgCl2 - no improvement.

This was the picture taken 10/15/10

I ordered a gal of Kent Tech M about two weeks ago and started using it on Friday 10/16/10. Using a Aqua Lifter pump, I sprayed the algae every 1-2 days while keeping my Mg level below 1900. In addition, I resumed dosing the AF with the recommended dose but every other day instead of every 3 days. With daily pruning and brushing of the live rocks, this is what the same spot looks like today.

I still have quite a way to go before all the algae are gone but I am pleased with the result so far. I hope in another two weeks, my algae problem is gone. Even with the every other day use of AF, I have not noticed any obvious negative effect on my livestocks.

Mixed LPS and SPS corals
Camera - Canon T2i with EF100mm 2.8f USM macro lens

Current Tank Info: AG 92g corner tank and Marineland 125g, RKE controllers, Maxspect and Eshine LEDs, MP40WES, Jebo WP40 & WP25
SimonSKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 03:08 PM   #1506
legendboy
Registered Member

I am pretty excited to try this stuff.

I was bummed out when I found it was not available in canada, but I easily found an ebay seller willing to ship it.

My 16oz bottle arrived today. So tonight, I am going to prune and start dosing! Will post a before pic when I get home

legendboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 03:53 PM   #1507
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Thanks for sharing your results with us. I like pics.

Unread 11/01/2010, 07:28 PM   #1508
legendboy
Registered Member

Just about to do the first dose

legendboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2010, 09:11 AM   #1509
SimonSKL
Registered Member

Well, I have the first casualty this morning. My clam is dying or already dead. You can read my post this morning about my clam. I don't know if the high level of Mg and AF is the cause but since my other clam is doing okay so I assume it is not. Just to give everyone an update of my struggle with Derbesia / Bryopsis. I am so disappointed.

Here is the link to my post re clam:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1#post17873471

Mixed LPS and SPS corals

Current Tank Info: AG 92g corner tank and Marineland 125g, RKE controllers, Maxspect and Eshine LEDs, MP40WES, Jebo WP40 & WP25
Unread 11/03/2010, 02:46 PM   #1510
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Can't be certain exactly what caused your clam's demise. Sorry to hear about your loss.

The only thing I can add is I had 3 different clams in my tank and dosed AF per the directions for quite a long period of time and the clams showed no negative effects. We have had others that had the same experience with their clams as I when dosing AF.

One thing about mag supplements is that they do contain contaminates like copper and other heavy metals. If you raise your mag level more than 100 ppm in one dose this could possibly cause problems. Perhaps the effects of increasing mag levels and dosing AF at the same time might somehow have a negative effect we don't know about? I really have no idea. It is something that other hobbyists may want to take into consideration.

Unread 11/03/2010, 02:55 PM   #1511
SimonSKL
Registered Member

One thing that I forgot to mention is my Derbesia/Bryopsis are still receding and very easy to remove. I am going to let my Mg drop to 1500 and continue to use AF every other day. I will be keeping an eye on the other clam which seems to be doing okay.

Mixed LPS and SPS corals

Unread 11/03/2010, 03:13 PM   #1512
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I appreciate you keeping us posted on your results especially with derbesia and bryopsis and the concern about your clams.

Unread 11/04/2010, 01:25 AM   #1513
lbaldrey
Registered Member

Had a bit of an algae issue and I've been dosing for about 2 weeks now according to the recommended dose and my tank has exploded with cyano.

Strangely my fish have had an outbreak of ich too. I havent had ich issues for a long time.

Doing a blackout for 3 days so it doesnt choke my corals out.

Current Tank Info: 175G Mixed Reef, Aqua Excel Skimmer, 2x150w 20K Radium, 200w VHO Actinics, MP40x2
lbaldrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2010, 06:13 AM   #1514
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Unfortunately, AF does not kill most cyano. After the algae dies, you are left with the cyano that was present before the treatment and now has no competition.

Unread 11/04/2010, 08:29 AM   #1515
wwu123
Registered Member

I did both Algaefix and magnesium treatments a few months ago for hair algae and bryopsis respectively, and both my clams were fine, as were the hermit crabs, snails and other inverts.

wwu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2010, 09:12 AM   #1516
SimonSKL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
I did both Algaefix and magnesium treatments a few months ago for hair algae and bryopsis respectively, and both my clams were fine, as were the hermit crabs, snails and other inverts.
How high did you keep your Mg level and how long did you do both treatments? Were you able to get rid of the HA and bryopsis?

Mixed LPS and SPS corals

Unread 11/04/2010, 10:51 AM   #1517
falconut
Registered Member

This product seams to have aided in the removal of my algae for the most part. I used it as directed (10 ml every 3 days) for about 6 doses. My mushrooms didn't look their best, so I went to 10 ml once a week. The algae did start to die off after a few doses. There were apparently different types of algae, because some died immediately and some is still dying.

I've also been using WM EcoBAK pellets and GFO to lower my NO3 & PO4 along with the Algaefix Marine. I also started skimming more wet and added 100 micron filter bags. But, the algae is really disapearing and my glass is staying cleaner way longer (about once a week between cleaning and it's not anywhere near what it was). Plus, no losses to report.

I'll keep using this at the once a week rate until it's all gone.

falconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2010, 01:00 PM   #1518
chem368
Registered Member

I can see my rocks again!!!!

I love this stuff, GHA had taken over my tank, I wish I had taken a picture to show the changes but I was embarrassed with how bad my tank had gotten. I have yet to see a picture in this thread that was as bad as mine.

I saw this thread and started dosing AF every 2 days for a week and then every 3 day once the die off started and am now at once per week. There is still a little left but I can see all my corals again and its been about 6 months since I could see my LR whcih is now back and the GHA is nearly all gone.

I love this stuff and now that the algae is gone I have been able to properly get my water parameters in check.

chem368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2010, 05:11 PM   #1519
Jmason95
Registered Member

I'm going to start dosing this stuff tomorrow. I read through most of this thread, but have a couple questions:

1. I'm currently dosing Prodibio and running GFO and GAC. Should I stop these three until I'm done with the AlgaeFix? It appears it really doesn't matter?

2. Once I'm done dosing the AlgaeFix (when the algae hopefully subsides) should I keep dosing the AlgaeFix once a week as the instructions indicate?

If I do take the Prodibio, GFO and GAC off line while I dose, I was intending on starting the three back up once the algae is gone (and continue to dose Algaefix once a week?)

Thanks guys...

Current Tank Info: 35x28x20 starphire Lee Mar
Jmason95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2010, 05:35 PM   #1520
sneeyatch
Registered Member

I would leave everything running as you have it now.

As for the maintenance - I would just go once a week for maybe a few weeks to a month to wean yourself off it.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2010, 05:08 AM   #1521
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I agree with sneeyatch.

I would continue dosing AF on the weekly basis for a while after eradicating the algae, but would stop after that. If the algae does make a come back after that, I would start at the every three day dosing schedule again, until eradicated.

Unread 11/06/2010, 08:31 AM   #1522
Jmason95
Registered Member

Alright guys that's what I'll do. Hopefully this will rid me of the remaining algae that by all other means I just can't seem to shake. Thanks again...

Current Tank Info: 35x28x20 starphire Lee Mar
Jmason95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2010, 01:40 PM   #1523
SimonSKL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSKL View Post
Here is an update to my Derbesia/Bryopsis problem. As I stated earlier I tried in two different occasions using AF to eradicate my algae problem without any success.

1. 5 doses of AF at recommended doses and intervals in Aug - no improvement
2. 10 doses of AF at recommended doses and intervals in Sep PLUS raising Mg level to 1800 with mixture of MgSO4 and MgCl2 - no improvement.

This was the picture taken 10/15/10

I ordered a gal of Kent Tech M about two weeks ago and started using it on Friday 10/16/10. Using a Aqua Lifter pump, I sprayed the algae every 1-2 days while keeping my Mg level below 1900. In addition, I resumed dosing the AF with the recommended dose but every other day instead of every 3 days. With daily pruning and brushing of the live rocks, this is what the same spot looks like today (10/28/10).

I still have quite a way to go before all the algae are gone but I am pleased with the result so far. I hope in another two weeks, my algae problem is gone. Even with the every other day use of AF, I have not noticed any obvious negative effect on my livestocks.
I thought I would update my battle with derbesia/bryopsis with a new picture taken today (11/7/2010)

I have been dosing AF every other day since Oct 16 and keeping my Mg around 1800 with Kent Tech M. The algae is not completely gone but at least they are not growing back. I wish the result is quicker and I am a little nervous in dosing AF so frequent and maintaining such a high level of Mg in my tank.

Mixed LPS and SPS corals

Unread 11/08/2010, 03:40 PM   #1524
Ycore
Registered Member

Just wanted to say that after about 10 treatments are so, my GHA has been totally wiped out..

HOWEVER, the dinoflagelates, which I initially thought were being controlled by Algaefix, have literally exploded to plague proportions in the absense of competing algae. So Algaefix has no effect on Dinos, or at least not my variety.

Ironically, the dinos are WAY worse than the GHA. The GHA was unsightly, but the brown snot is simply ghastly and have taken over every available surface in my tank. Siphoning and scrubbing has proven futile, they just grow back the next day, coating the glass, powerheads, and sand. Snails have kicked the bucket though hermits seem unneffected.

Nitrates are undetectable and Po4 registers .05 with a Hanna Meter.

Going to try lights out for three days, as it's my last resort.. These Dinos are like a cancer.

Ycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2010, 04:25 PM   #1525
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd stop feeding entirely, and try siphoning as much of the dinoflagellates as possible before and during the dark treatment. Having a lot of water on hand for changes might help as well. A lot of GFO and carbon might do a lot for cleanup. As the dinoflagellates die, the nutrients and any allelopathic compounds could end up in the water column, not necessarily in skimmable form.

Tags
ganjero