Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2019, 11:41 PM   #1
WVfishguy
Registered Member

External overflow; CS150 or CS 102

I have a 90 gal. mixed reefer with a 75 gallon sump. I'm running two Mag Drive 9.5's from the sump to the display. The two return hoses are only about 3.5 feet long, flexible hose, 2" OD I believe, with no bends until they reach the top of the tank, then there are three pvc elbows on each return.

The flow is pretty stiff. I need a new overflow. I'm currently using two overflows, one with two exhaust hoses (back to the sump) and another with one hose. I believe all three are 2 inch ID.

Would a CPR Aquatics Deluxe CS150 with Lid and Aqua Lifter handle this? I'm a little confused; the 150 appears to have one hose going to the sump, the CS 102 with less flow has two hoses. This seems backwards to me.

Is the return hose on the CS150 really large?

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Personally I would not use CPR, BECAUSE they require a separate pump to purge air from the box.
Lifereef is what you need.

Unread 01/14/2019, 12:03 AM   #3
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Thank you Vinny Kreyling for this info!

I've done a pretty extensive internet search and it looks like Lifereef is exactly what I need. The amount of flow I now have sounds like Niagara Falls, but it's in the basement and I don't care.

I don't quite get the comments I read of too much flow affecting the efficiency of the skimmer - my skimmer works very well, and the flow is massive.

Unread 01/14/2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

As as the skimmer goes --
The diameter of the neck is what determines it's rating according to Scott.
There is one basic principal though.
The longer the "dwell time' or time the water spends inside the chamber the more can be taken out of it. So a fast flowing skimmer might not be as efficient.

Unread 01/14/2019, 08:06 PM   #5
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
As as the skimmer goes --
The diameter of the neck is what determines it's rating according to Scott.
There is one basic principal though.
The longer the "dwell time' or time the water spends inside the chamber the more can be taken out of it. So a fast flowing skimmer might not be as efficient.
The part which baffled me was the indication that if there was too much turnover in the sump - that is, if there was too much water flowing through the sump - the skimmer would not work as well. I may have simply misunderstood.

I was contacted by Lifereef today. The guy I spoke to was an old fart like me, which made me feel better. I've got a Lifereef overflow headed my way.

Thanks again!

Unread 01/15/2019, 09:03 AM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Water into the skimmer is usually controlled by a separate pump or a valve so technically it has little bearing on it.
Jeff has been around for a while.

Unread 01/15/2019, 01:13 PM   #7
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Water into the skimmer is usually controlled by a separate pump or a valve so technically it has little bearing on it.
That's what I thought as well. I probably misunderstood the inference, or the poster is incorrect.