Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Can I keep a small (1"-1.5") tank raised hippo tang in a 60 gal until it gets larger?
Yes 58 31.87%
No 99 54.40%
Maybe 25 13.74%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2010, 02:25 PM   #26
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

I had a feeling his mind was already made up. The scariest part to me, is that there are so many folks on RC that think a hippo in a 60 gallon tank is a good idea.

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 09:56 PM   #27
StripestheEel
Premium Member

Can't believe they went to the trouble to create another username.

No matter how much knowledge is available on these forums, people still don't listen.

Current Tank Info: 7'x5'x2.2' SPS Reef
StripestheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 07:28 AM   #28
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripestheEel View Post

No matter how much knowledge is available on these forums, people still don't listen.
Some people don't but there are many that do! I know I've learned a lot from this site. Heck, I used to have a yellow tang in my 55. I didn't know any different. I got it with the tank that I inherited. I'm sure the person that previously owned it was told it was fine by the LFS. As the yellow tang got bigger it definitely got more agressive.

Sometimes you can not blame people that don't listen either. It is much easier to trust someone in person then it is someone behind a keyboard. I did the worse thing anyone ever could based on the advice of the LFS. My LFS sold me a hippo blue tang. He assured me that it being only 2" it would not be able to outgrow the tank.

After being on this site for a little while now and reading all I can I would have done things a lot different. For one, that yellow tang would have found a new home very quickly and I certainly would have never gotten the second tang.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 10:00 AM   #29
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripestheEel View Post

The thing I don't get that I see repeatedly is why would someone ask a question if they are just going to completely disregard the advice?

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 11:28 AM   #30
jubjub
Registered Member

IBTL..haha getting a lil vicious... i read a study somewhere that was posted on this forum about basically pretty much tangs/anthias(what he tested) arent stupid fish they know where the food is and the reason they say they need so much swimming space is cause they were constantly on the move in the ocean because a big school of fish would just decimate any food source fast... although if they have a food source thats in the same place all the time they would stay in that area. if i remember right the guy tested in a huge tank and the fish stayed in the corner of the tank.... go figure....either way i'd say he could keep a tang for 6-12months if he got it small like in the 1-1.5" range (i've seen some .25-.5" hippos before) then might have to find it a hew home

Unread 04/02/2010, 06:08 PM   #31
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
IBTL..haha getting a lil vicious... i read a study somewhere that was posted on this forum about basically pretty much tangs/anthias(what he tested) arent stupid fish they know where the food is and the reason they say they need so much swimming space is cause they were constantly on the move in the ocean because a big school of fish would just decimate any food source fast... although if they have a food source thats in the same place all the time they would stay in that area. if i remember right the guy tested in a huge tank and the fish stayed in the corner of the tank.... go figure....either way i'd say he could keep a tang for 6-12months if he got it small like in the 1-1.5" range (i've seen some .25-.5" hippos before) then might have to find it a hew home
The hippo tangs small enough for this 'experiment' are very bad specimens to purchase...and even if one made it, what would be the point for 6 months?

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2012, 07:03 PM   #32
mcjlance
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer.lol View Post
LOL! Ok that was a good comback. But seriously my mind wasn't made up. If 11 people told me yes and 2 told me no I probably wouldn't get a tang. I've always been the type to rebel or go against the grain. That's just me.
Wow! In practical psychology you're called a mismatcher. You have a subconscious need to disagree with whatever you hear regardless of the message. You comprise a smaller segment of society who consistently stonewall and irritate those around you. Your need to be "right" even when you're not will ultimately damage and potentially ruin the relationships you have. However, you probably don't have many to begin with. Except of course for your mom.

mcjlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2012, 10:24 PM   #33
jcolletteiii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjlance View Post
Wow! In practical psychology you're called a mismatcher. You have a subconscious need to disagree with whatever you hear regardless of the message...
And in interwebz slang-ology, you're called a necrobumper!

Current Tank Info: 16g biocube

Last edited by jcolletteiii; 09/09/2012 at 10:30 PM.
jcolletteiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2012, 03:32 PM   #34
mcjlance
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolletteiii View Post
And in interwebz slang-ology, you're called a necrobumper!
you're right, I didn't realize it was such an old thread. My apologies to the community.

mcjlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 05:19 PM   #35
Nofskee
Registered Member

Im starting up a 24" x 24" x 22" and trying to plan out my lighting.

I was planning on going with a single EcoTech Radion XR15w PRO...but was wondering if the EcoTech Radion XR30w G3 PRO would be overkill.

Im new to the Radions, just unsure about their power.

Thanks!

Nofskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 09:14 PM   #36
fishhuman
Registered Member

Set up a thread

fishhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2014, 02:40 PM   #37
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhuman View Post
Set up a thread
In the proper forum.

Unread 08/28/2015, 11:22 AM   #38
Drewl117
Registered Member

Stock for the tank you have, and not the one you plan on having someday.[/QUOTE]

Great advise!!

Drewl117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 07:49 AM   #39
webslinger
Friendly Neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boatnut View Post
MOST Tangs should be left in the ocean.

Those who think they are giving certain species of Tangs a better quality of life because they put them in a 6' tank are delusional. A better life would be to leave them in their natural habitat.

That said,nothing will change
+1

Every Tang i see in a tank (no matter what size) swims back and forth the length of the glass like they are in jail. Tank size really doesn't matter. Not much difference if they swim 2 ft turn around and swim back or 6 ft turn around and swim back. Bristletooth are an exception.

Last edited by webslinger; 05/11/2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling
webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 07:16 PM   #40
brad
Registered Member

That's bigger than my quarantine tank. A small blue tang should be fine for a year or so, as long as you don't get attached. Very easy fish to find a buyer for.

brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safe, tang, tank size