Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Impeller on a skimmer

Does it make sense to change one every year?
My Icecap has been changed now twice in the two years. It keeps making a vey loud humming noise. The pump is a Sicce 1000.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 06:39 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Unless something breaks on it no, it doesn't make sense.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Thanks. Coralvue replaced it once including the pump. But will no longer help due to the warranty being expired. $550 bucks worth of a skimmer.
Time to offload it.

Unread 08/23/2018, 08:27 PM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Ouch. How is it failing? Do you soak it in vinegar regularly?

Unread 08/24/2018, 05:37 AM   #5
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

I have soaked it a couple of times, to no avail. Thanks

Unread 08/24/2018, 06:31 AM   #6
pecan2phat
Registered Member

I was going to get a K2 based on your review Mike but ended up getting a Skimz instead!
Hope you can figure out why the impeller is failing.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat View Post
I was going to get a K2 based on your review Mike but ended up getting a Skimz instead!
Hope you can figure out why the impeller is failing.
You would think that, based on the amount of money we reefers spend, that the supplier would just send a part that cost them next to nothing, at no charge and be done with it.

Instead, we waste our time going back and forth. Now, Coralvue is asking that I remove the pump. They want me to send it to California for inspection. If they deem that it's faulty they will send me a new impeller no charge.

Unread 08/24/2018, 10:31 AM   #8
ghostman
Registered Member

That is a shame. I am very tired of vendors not providing quality service for their equipment that is supposed to be saltwater safe. I've read a couple articles this week about Ecotech and now Coralvue not standing by their products. If the pump was abused, I get it, but reefers are usually good about maintaining their systems and caring for their animals. Sorry to hear that Mike, I hope it gets resolved quickly.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 10:46 AM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
reefers are usually good about maintaining their systems
The average reefer is out of the hobby in less than a year with a tank full of hair algae and a couple hermits. Taking care of equipment might be the norm for people here but I question that statement in general.

Unread 08/24/2018, 11:02 AM   #10
ghostman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
The average reefer is out of the hobby in less than a year with a tank full of hair algae and a couple hermits. Taking care of equipment might be the norm for people here but I question that statement in general.
Really??? I guess I associate with abnormal reefers then. Most reefers that I know are meticulous about maintenance, dosing, and care for their livestock. This isn't a cheap hobby. Reefers that spend thousands do whatever it takes to care for their animals. I'm sorry to disagree with you...

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
Unread 08/24/2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

I’m also a dry goods junkie, and have spent a ton on equipment. It only makes sense to look after them.
I hate taking my skimmer apart. But it happens every couple of months.
When one is trying to keep an sps tank you have to keep all equipment in optimal condition.

Unread 08/24/2018, 11:06 AM   #12
ghostman
Registered Member

Regardless of our disagreement, an impeller should last longer than 1 year. If it doesn't, it's not due to maintenance, its due to a bad product. I don't think any maintenance issues should cause a failure within 1 year on a piece of hardware.

Unread 08/24/2018, 11:10 AM   #13
ghostman
Registered Member

On the same note, does a car need a new part every year? Does a refrigerator need a new part every year? Even though they operate 365 days a year... They are usually built to last for at least a reasonable time period. I think the same should be given to our reef tanks. I'd pay more for a quality product, and so would many people in this board....

Unread 08/24/2018, 11:10 AM   #14
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
Regardless of our disagreement, an impeller should last longer than 1 year. If it doesn't, it's not due to maintenance, its due to a bad product. I don't think any maintenance issues should cause a failure within 1 year on a piece of hardware.
I don't disagree. Though with moving parts such as impellers. Sometimes they run dry and people try to use the warranty for that. I do think that companies need to protect themselves from abuse of a warranty but at the same time take care of their customers. It's a tough balance. No doubt CV needs to look into this.

Unread 08/24/2018, 11:14 AM   #15
ghostman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I don't disagree. Though with moving parts such as impellers. Sometimes they run dry and people try to use the warranty for that. I do think that companies need to protect themselves from abuse of a warranty but at the same time take care of their customers. It's a tough balance. No doubt CV needs to look into this.
Agreed. I've run dry a couple times on accident, and never blamed it on the manufacturer. I've always sucked it up and paid for replacements when necessary. I suppose not every reefer does the same. Maybe I'm naïve about the people on the board.... I'm happy to say I'm wrong if that is the case....

Unread 08/24/2018, 11:30 AM   #16
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

It’s unthinkable for me to run my skimmers dry lol.
Oh no! ATO on a fritz!
On second thought how do you run them dry? My return pump would be burnt before that happens.

Last edited by Mike de Leon; 08/24/2018 at 11:54 AM.
Unread 08/24/2018, 12:15 PM   #17
ghostman
Registered Member

I ran a pump dry on a zero edge tank because it lost a lot of water from evaporation, and was running dry for a day. I bought a new pump, no questions asked. It was my fault. Maybe not everyone deals with things like that, but I doubt you would want an unwarranted "freebie" Mike. You've been on here ling enough to deserve some respect...

Unread 08/24/2018, 09:13 PM   #18
pecan2phat
Registered Member

When the Water Blaster pumps first came out, I ended buying 4 different sized pumps from CoralVue. I was on the "save electricity" mode back then and changed out all my Iwakis, Blue Lines and PanWorld magnetic pumps.
15 months to 2 years down the line, every one of the impellers swelled and rusted. CoralVue told me they have new designed magnets for their impellers but I had to pay for every impeller I needed which was 4.
Another product that should have not made it pass beta testing.
The biggest joke is that you need to submit a pump serial number in order to even buy a impeller for those pumps.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 09:30 AM   #19
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Water change day.....unfortunately my video won’t load