Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Taylorcz
Registered Member

Clownfish pairing and mushroom ID

I have a dark perc clownfish about an inch long and have been waiting for the lfs in my area to get some more in so I can get another but I've been told they rarely get them. I've also been told many different stories from different staff as to whether I could try pair him with a occellaris however he does have a little bit of fight in him, as in he does stand up for himself against my six line wrasse. I am considering seeing if I can get one online however I just don't know whether to get one bigger or smaller than the one I have. I've had this little guy for about 2.5 months and he hasn't really grown all that much.
Am I taking too big of a risk if I choose to get an occellaris?

Also, I have a mushroom that was given to me but I don't know what type it is To be able to research it s needs. I will post a photo if anyone knows what it is that would be a big help.

Taylorcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Taylorcz
Registered Member

Unread 11/22/2017, 08:57 PM   #3
drysea
Registered Member

Do you know for sure that your little guy is a perc? Often fish called black percs are really occellaris. I would go for one on the smaller side, then the biggest one will mature into a female. They will work that dominance out on their own. If you take good care those fish they should live for years, so be patient and make sure you get what you want. I would not pair a true perc with a occellaris.

Mushrooms ID, I don't know the specific species but generally they don't need any special care outside normal soft coral reef parms.

drysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Taylorcz
Registered Member

Thankyou, I'll post a picture of the clownfish, I have been told he is a true perch by the store but I wouldn't know how to tell on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/23/2017, 10:10 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

You sure that's a mushroom? If it has a skeleton, it's more likely a plate coral, or maybe a torch.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 01:04 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Percs and ocellaris do not mix. Provided you know which you have, if you mix, they will fight and one will lose.
You can mix colours between species but that's it. That how they get designer clowns like snowflakes.....
To pair, you need to have a female, biggest one, or put the unknown by itself for 6 weeks. Then it will be the female.
Then introduce smaller one, watch, if fight, remove for 48 hours, repeat.
Hopefully the smaller one will submit to female and presto....you have a pair and you will know because they will spend all there time together....good luck

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, identification corals, pairing