Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2018, 11:43 AM   #1
toruk
Registered Member

Planning a DSB Anemone Tank

Hey All,

So I really have fallen in love with the Amphiprion Polymnus and Haddoni combo and want to have a setup withe them as the centerpiece. I am planning on having a deep sand bed with minimal rock work in the tank. Maybe something like a live rock background to maximize floor space.

My question is with this setup and the predatory nature of Haddoni what some things I should keep in mind when attempting this? I know Haddoni can be very predatory and Polymnus can be hard on thier host. Is it possible that I can keep a pair of cleaner shrimp? And could I possibly keep some jawfish in the tank? Lastly what is a good size tank for this type of setup? I was thinking maybe a 40 gallon cube?

Thanks!

toruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 04:58 AM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

A. polymnus clowns are aggressive and can be very hard on the anemone hosts. They have the habit of digging into the Haddoni, going into the body cavity of the Haddoni and cause damage.
After a Polymnus pair kill my healthy green Haddoni, I have decided not to keep anymore of the aggressive clowns.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 06:24 PM   #3
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

What other clownfish would host in a Haddoni?

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 07:39 PM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

According the many experts, in the wild Haddoni are found to host the following species of clowns:
A. akindynos
A. chrysopterus
A. chrysogaster
A. clarkia
A. polymnus
A. sebae

In captivity I find that A. percula readily use Haddoni as host

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 07:56 AM   #5
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Thank you very much!

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 12:32 PM   #6
toruk
Registered Member

Hmmm is there another anemone that would work with Polymnus? Are are the pretty set on dooming any anemone I put them with ?

toruk is offline   Reply With Quote