Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Bill_Moorman
Registered Member

Complete clam noob

Hi all-

Just was doing some browsing and came across some beautiful photos of clams. Never had one before and don’t know what they require.

Doing my research BEFORE even thinking about getting one.

I’m running a 40B mixed reef with successful growth and growing coraline on rocks and the back glass. Acans are growing new heads monthly, frogspawn has split into an over 15 head colony, montis have grown 1/4inch all around in just over a month.

Last parameters (tested on Monday)
Salinity 35
Alk 9
Calc 450
Mag 1440
pH 8.3
Temp 77-78
Nitrate 2
Phosphate: >.25 (getting a hanna soon, this is the only api test I have)
No ammonia or nitrates.

Dosing two part.

Currently have two AI Prime HDs. Not sure if clams have light requirements.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_Moorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 07:02 AM   #2
theschwenkster
Registered Member

Hey Bill,

Sounds like you have some SPS going in your tank already. Clams are at least as demanding with crocea and maxima being more demanding in most instances. T. Derasa is likely a good starting point for you but they can out grow your tank. Do you have any idea on your par numbers? BRStv put together a nice little piece that could give you a ruff estimate if not.

https://youtu.be/WWc3dUwQuWI

I think you would need to be running near 100% with a maxima or crocea near the top or add a third light to the mix. A derasa may be slightly more forgiving.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

theschwenkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 07:07 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

clams absolutely have light requirements. most of them require more light than your typical SPS corals.

two AI Primes over a 40b are a great setup for clams. i've had both of mine (crocea and derasa) under AI Vegas for years, and they're happy as a... well... clam.

the only other real considerations are:

1. do you have any fish that may harass it? typically angels and butterflies can be cause for concern. but many of them aren't a problem
2. what are you using to supplement your alk/cal? clams can suck a surprising amount of alkalinity and calcium once they get established. two part of kalkwasser is preferable to hand dosing.

have you thought about what kind of clam you might want? derasa get very large, so they might not be a great candidate for a 40b. however crocea, maxima, or sqaumosa are all potential contenders.

some get larger than others, some require more light than others, so plan accordingly.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 07:19 AM   #4
Bill_Moorman
Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I am dosing BRS two part. My alk only drops about .3 a day, so I am hand dosing. I am ordering an apex soon as well as dosing pumps to automate the process.

As for tank inhabitants, I’ve only got two clowns, and a typical CUC, 15 hermits, 1 astrea snail, 2 trochus snails, 4 nassarius snails, and a fighting conch named Eddie.

I haven’t really researched what type of clam, but the maxima looks pretty cool!

How would you go about QTing the clam? I added a bunch of corals over the last few months and foolishly didn’t QT them, I think I avoided a disaster but that’s an odds game I’d rather not keep playing.

Are clams photosynthetic?

Thanks again! I look forward to your reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_Moorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 09:01 AM   #5
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Tridacna spp. and Hippopus sp. (the "Giant Clams") are all photosynthetic. they will also absorb nutrients in the form of N/P/K directly from the water, and some species will filter feed to varying extents, but only to supplement their carbon intake, not replace it.

you can QT clams, but it would have to be in a stable system. you can't dip them or anything like that. i consider them about the same risk as adding rock or frag plugs. you're more likely to get a clam specific pest in with a clam than probably anything else.

AA has some really excellent reading:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/sort/clams

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote