Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2010, 06:30 PM   #26
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7504 View Post
are those redi or erectus seahorses?
they are redi from ora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
Very nice!
thanks

mattkd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2010, 04:18 PM   #27
got2envy
hello fishy fishy

Beautiful tank!!

Current Tank Info: 28g JBJ HQI, 40g Long Mixed Reef
got2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2010, 09:04 PM   #28
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2envy View Post
Beautiful tank!!
thanks

Unread 02/05/2010, 08:09 PM   #29
mattkd5
Registered Member

my seahorses got a new tankmate

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2040779.jpg (84.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg P2040783.jpg (68.1 KB, 87 views)
Unread 02/07/2010, 09:47 AM   #30
Jason1979g
Registered Member

Very nice setup. Makes me want to get going on my seahorse tank. im doin a 60 hex.

Jason1979g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2010, 05:12 PM   #31
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1979g View Post
Very nice setup. Makes me want to get going on my seahorse tank. im doin a 60 hex.
get going you wont regret it thanks

Unread 02/07/2010, 05:54 PM   #32
nemo74
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkd5 View Post
my seahorses got a new tankmate
Very nice, what type of fish is that??

nemo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2010, 06:00 PM   #33
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

cool catalina goby!! I have always loved those! I remember the first TFH magazine I bought, I got because it had one of those on the cover!
Just out of curiosity, what temp do you maintain your tank at?

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Current Tank Info: 195 gallons of fun
ChadTheSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2010, 06:13 PM   #34
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo74 View Post
Very nice, what type of fish is that??
thanks catalina goby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadTheSpike View Post
cool catalina goby!! I have always loved those! I remember the first TFH magazine I bought, I got because it had one of those on the cover!
Just out of curiosity, what temp do you maintain your tank at?
thanks chad i keep my tank at 72 degrees

Unread 07/29/2010, 06:32 PM   #35
mattkd5
Registered Member

some new pics enjoy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7290133.jpg (74.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P7290141.jpg (47.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P7290162.jpg (42.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg P7290155.jpg (55.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg P7290143.jpg (63.5 KB, 60 views)
Unread 08/24/2010, 03:07 PM   #36
C-Rad
Registered Member

Quote:
i keep my tank at 72 degrees
A catalina goby is a temperate fish, and won't last long at 72 degrees. Unscrupulous or ignorant LFS's tell people they can handle warm water, but they can't. In the wild, the monthly average temperature where they live (southern California) ranges between about 57 (February) and 70 (August) with a few days at or slightly above 72. They can "handle" it in the sense that they won't immediately die, but it really taxes them, and they don't last as long, not to mention that it's not a nice thing to do to a fish.

You could take it back to the fish store, but they'd just sell it to the next guy who doesn't know any better, and maybe his tank will be 80 degrees, so if you can't find anyone with a cold water tank (<= 65 F), you might as well keep it and see how long it lasts.

C-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2010, 01:42 PM   #37
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rad View Post
A catalina goby is a temperate fish, and won't last long at 72 degrees. Unscrupulous or ignorant LFS's tell people they can handle warm water, but they can't. In the wild, the monthly average temperature where they live (southern California) ranges between about 57 (February) and 70 (August) with a few days at or slightly above 72. They can "handle" it in the sense that they won't immediately die, but it really taxes them, and they don't last as long, not to mention that it's not a nice thing to do to a fish.

You could take it back to the fish store, but they'd just sell it to the next guy who doesn't know any better, and maybe his tank will be 80 degrees, so if you can't find anyone with a cold water tank (<= 65 F), you might as well keep it and see how long it lasts.
Thanks for your concern but i knew it was a cold water fish when i got him. My buddy has had one in his tank for over two years now at 72 degrees so thats why i got one. I've had him for eight months now and hes doing great.

Unread 09/09/2010, 05:41 PM   #38
C-Rad
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for your concern but i knew it was a cold water fish when i got him. My buddy has had one in his tank for over two years now at 72 degrees so thats why i got one. I've had him for eight months now and hes doing great.
Thanks for adding your real world experience to the debate about how warm is too warm for Catalina gobys. The reports I based my opinion on were a bit vague about exactly what temps were too warm. They, and/or I, were playing it safe, and it sounds like drawing the line for a constant temp at 65 was overly conservative. It sounds like 72 is fine (But I'm sure that 73 would cause instant death )
So just to squeeze as much useful data out of you as possible, is your tank really at 72 all the time (plus or minus a degree), or does it vary with the seasons? Do you have a heater to enforce a minimum temp? What temp? Do you have a chiller to enforce a maximum temp? What temp? You've only kept yours for 8 months, so the more conclusive test was your friend's tank. What can you tell us about how his temp was controlled and whether it changed through the year?

C-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2010, 07:15 PM   #39
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rad View Post
Thanks for adding your real world experience to the debate about how warm is too warm for Catalina gobys. The reports I based my opinion on were a bit vague about exactly what temps were too warm. They, and/or I, were playing it safe, and it sounds like drawing the line for a constant temp at 65 was overly conservative. It sounds like 72 is fine (But I'm sure that 73 would cause instant death )
So just to squeeze as much useful data out of you as possible, is your tank really at 72 all the time (plus or minus a degree), or does it vary with the seasons? Do you have a heater to enforce a minimum temp? What temp? Do you have a chiller to enforce a maximum temp? What temp? You've only kept yours for 8 months, so the more conclusive test was your friend's tank. What can you tell us about how his temp was controlled and whether it changed through the year?
it doesnt matter what season it is chiller keeps temp at 72 + or -1 degrees heater is set at 68 but never gets that low my friends is set up the same way. So i guess you cant believe everything you read

Unread 09/10/2010, 08:58 AM   #40
kma408
Registered Member

thanks, nice tanks, I am looking for seahorse try to get some but I live in North California, could not find any in local stores.

kma408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2010, 05:39 PM   #41
asianer
Registered Member

nice

asianer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2010, 10:23 PM   #42
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma408 View Post
thanks, nice tanks, I am looking for seahorse try to get some but I live in North California, could not find any in local stores.
Almost all stores are selling wild caught, net pen raised, or tank raised seahorses and as such, don't have a reasonable chance of success when compared to true captive bred seahorses which cost more initially but in the long run end up being the cheaper way to go.
Instead, buy from a hobbyist who is raising theirs, or from a place like seahorsesource.com.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2010, 03:12 PM   #43
kma408
Registered Member

so nice and thanks for update your information

Unread 09/15/2010, 08:53 AM   #44
kma408
Registered Member

Very nice seahorse, I want to get couple but I dont find in local store.

Unread 09/15/2010, 09:01 AM   #45
rayjay
Registered Member

Local stores are not the best place to buy seahorses from.
Most don't sell true captive bred.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2010, 11:22 AM   #46
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

Mattkd5: how do the seahorses and brains do together? I bought a beautiful favia frag at MACNA and then realized later that maybe it wasn't the best idea because I'm starting a seahorse tank. I haven't finished building the system yet, and won't have seahorses for at least 6-9 months from now, so I'm trying to research tankmates. Seahorse.org gave favias a 1 threat level, which isn't bad. How do they react around the feeders? How long have you had the brain and the seahorses together and which was there first? Thanks for any advice!

Kay Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2010, 02:13 PM   #47
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Tickle View Post
Mattkd5: how do the seahorses and brains do together? I bought a beautiful favia frag at MACNA and then realized later that maybe it wasn't the best idea because I'm starting a seahorse tank. I haven't finished building the system yet, and won't have seahorses for at least 6-9 months from now, so I'm trying to research tankmates. Seahorse.org gave favias a 1 threat level, which isn't bad. How do they react around the feeders? How long have you had the brain and the seahorses together and which was there first? Thanks for any advice!
When i built my seahorse tank i had the seahorses first and then started adding corals from my main display tank frag here frag there. I dont think you should have a problem i got quite a bit of lps mostly acans with no issues for almost 2 years now. Good luck with your new build.

Unread 09/17/2010, 02:16 PM   #48
mattkd5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma408 View Post
so nice and thanks for update your information
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianer View Post
nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo8710 View Post
Looks great. Love the colors.
Thanks for the compliments

Unread 09/17/2010, 04:29 PM   #49
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardchaz View Post
Looks great...any problems with nitrates with the feedings seahorses require...thinking about adding a pair to my jbj 28g HQI but still want to keep some corals...how often do you feed?
Unless you're cooling the tank somehow, it's going to be way too warm for even tropical species SH. You'll want to get the temp down to 74*F max. Cooling one of these tanks is definitely doable, as we run ours at 63*F using a fan on the sump area and a 1/15 hp chiller.

SH should be fed at least once a day. They lack a true stomach, and as such, cannot hold food for digestion.

HTH

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2010, 06:25 AM   #50
Kay Tickle
Registered Member

Quote:
When i built my seahorse tank i had the seahorses first and then started adding corals from my main display tank frag here frag there. I dont think you should have a problem i got quite a bit of lps mostly acans with no issues for almost 2 years now. Good luck with your new build.
Thanks mattkd5. Your seahorses are beautiful!

Kay Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote