Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Where do you keep your marinepure?
In the bottom of the tank 2 6.67%
Low flow area of the sump 21 70.00%
High flow area of the sump 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2016, 02:16 AM   #1
Kaera
Registered Member

Marinepure - High or low flow?

Hi guys!

I would like to know where you keep your marinepure in the sump (or even tank) and why you've chosen that place.

Some say that the best place is a high flow area and some say its a low flow area, but wouldn't using the media in a high flow area (like between sump baffles) be considered nitrification where ammonia is turned into nitrite and then nitrate (i.e not actually removing the end product from the tank)?

So in that sense denitrification (low flow) is best, since nitrate is turned into gas over time?

Kaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 01:29 AM   #2
MiddletoM
Registered Member

low flow for denitrification and anywhere else for nitrification. Pretty sure it needs low flow for denitrification because the bacteria utilize the bound oxygen in nitrate leaving nitrogen behind. any flow will introduce readily available oxygen which the bacteria will use instead of the bound oxygen in the nitrate. *not a scientist*

Mine is in my sump in the lowest flow area. I have no idea if its the marinepure or chaeto but my nitrates are undetectable.

MiddletoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 03:48 AM   #3
Kaera
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 10/19/2016, 07:06 AM   #4
NewbReefer316
Registered Member

I'm currently planning a sump for my system that will use Marinepure to increase surface area for nitrifying bacteria, since I'll be doing a minimalist rock scape and will also have 2 bare bottom frag tanks plumbed in, as well as to help reduce nitrates so the idea is to run a couple blocks in the baffles after my return and a brick in the section either before or after the skimmer in order to utilize it for both methods.

Not sure if it will work or not though.

NewbReefer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Bluefish9
Registered Member

In terms of flow through a sump, unless you have a separate fuge valved off or something, isnt the flow rate through the sump the same regardless of which compartment? I mean correct me if Im wrong (it wouldnt be the first time) but it would seem only logical that the drain compartment is filling at the same rate the return pump compartment is emptying, thus all compartments in between are subject to that flow relationship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 11:31 AM   #6
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

I use the marinepure balls in the first chamber of my sump. I primarily use them for nitrifying bacteria as I've removed a lot of rock from my display.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 03:59 PM   #7
skiingfast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish9 View Post
isnt the flow rate through the sump the same regardless of which compartment?
Yes, but the rate of flow, speed can vary.

Put it this way. If you have two boxes a 50 gallon DT and 10gal Sump and a 500gph pump between the two. You would see obvious current in the sump but not the DT. Likewise a small overflow running at max with water up to the rim or a big overflow where water is a thin layer over the weir and trickle down the pipe.

So if you want to denitrify you need very slow water. It mostly happens deep into rocks or in the tiny contact area between remote sand grains. So if you have a slab of micropure it would happen in the part nearest the glass where water is most slowed down.

Let the rock do it in the DT, use Marine pure in the sump if you need to supplement the DT.

skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 04:05 PM   #8
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseymour View Post
I use the marinepure balls in the first chamber of my sump. I primarily use them for nitrifying bacteria as I've removed a lot of rock from my display.

Thats sort of how Im setting up my current build (well, skimmer compartment). Only planning on about 60-80lbs of rock for a 150g tall.

Unread 10/21/2016, 06:16 PM   #9
gotfrogs
Premium Member

Sump looks great!

gotfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2016, 02:17 AM   #10
Kaera
Registered Member

Does anyone know where the nitrifying bacteria reside in a reef tank, if denitrifying bacteria reside in DSB or LR?

Unread 10/23/2016, 11:30 AM   #11
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfrogs View Post
Sump looks great!

Thank you!

Unread 10/23/2016, 02:58 PM   #12
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaera View Post
Does anyone know where the nitrifying bacteria reside in a reef tank, if denitrifying bacteria reside in DSB or LR?

It resides on pretty much any surface in the tank. Sand, glass or rock. It's just that some rocks, deep sand beds and marinepure offer more surface area for the bacteria to live.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote