Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Can a clownfish kill an anemone

I recently picked up a RBTA that split from the main body. Next morning I find my female maroon clown hosting it already. But she is about 3in and way too big for the anemone. The male would have been fine since he's only about 1".

Since then it has never really stayed in one place. It seems every time it found a suitable place the clown will find it, agitate it and it will move again. Each time it's looking more and more shriveled up.

How do I get her to stop? No matter where it moves to she will swim around the tank until she finds it. I guess I can get a clear plastic cup or bowl to protect it but I don't know about having something that ugly in the tank for months.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquavaj View Post
I recently picked up a RBTA that split from the main body. Next morning I find my female maroon clown hosting it already. But she is about 3in and way too big for the anemone. The male would have been fine since he's only about 1".

Since then it has never really stayed in one place. It seems every time it found a suitable place the clown will find it, agitate it and it will move again. Each time it's looking more and more shriveled up.

How do I get her to stop? No matter where it moves to she will swim around the tank until she finds it. I guess I can get a clear plastic cup or bowl to protect it but I don't know about having something that ugly in the tank for months.
Hi....yea a clown can kill a nem if they are too big for it and stress it out. I had a large very agressive Maroon clown. He was hard on my RBT nems, I have 3 of them. Luckily they were bigger than him. Then he decided to split his time between my large blue carpet nem. My carpet nem didn't like the clown, so it started to get stressed. I removed the clown and traded it in to my LFS. I decided no more clowns. Now my nems are as happy as can be.

There is no way to stop a determined clown from wanting to host a nem. You can either cover the nem like you mentioned until it grows large enough for the clown, trade the clown in at your LFS, or do the same with your nem. Sorry for your troubles. Been there and done that!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Yea that's what I was afraid of. My tank isn't all that big so it doesn't take much for her to find the anemone. If the RBTA isn't too far gone when I check on it tonight I'll probably go ahead and get rid of her. I think it's for the better too since she is a total ***** to the small male. He seem very sociable at the LFS (swims up to the glass) but she really put him in his place and now just hides in the back.

Unread 07/26/2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea that's what I was afraid of. My tank isn't all that big so it doesn't take much for her to find the anemone. If the RBTA isn't too far gone when I check on it tonight I'll probably go ahead and get rid of her. I think it's for the better too since she is a total ***** to the small male. He seem very sociable at the LFS (swims up to the glass) but she really put him in his place and now just hides in the back.
Yea I know what you mean! Mine was a terrible, I couldn't even put my hand in the tank without getting bit by her. She terrorized all of my leopard Wrasses even if they were on the other side of the tank from her. Then shortly after that she would bounce from my RBTs to my carpet. When my carpet got stressed, that was the last straw. I took her back to the LFS with a warning.......

Unread 07/26/2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Mine definitely made her presence known by thrashing and swimming wildly when I added 2 cardinals. Didn't attack them unless they came close to the RTBA though.

I've never traded in a fish to a LFS before but I'm assuming if one did take them they'll just give you store credit? And probably nowhere close to what you initially paid right?

Unread 07/26/2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Mine definitely made her presence known by thrashing and swimming wildly when I added 2 cardinals. Didn't attack them unless they came close to the RTBA though.

I've never traded in a fish to a LFS before but I'm assuming if one did take them they'll just give you store credit? And probably nowhere close to what you initially paid right?
Yea it depends on the LFS. A good LFS will usually give you 50% of what you paid. I would try and go to where you bought her if you can. They usually only give you store credit. It helps if you know them. Now this only applies to LFS not Petco.....I have never bought fish from Petco, but I am sure they don't take trade ins on fish. All LFS by me take fish as a trade in though. If you are unsure, I would call around to LFS in your area before you head out!

Unread 07/27/2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Looks like I'm a day late in saving the rtba. I wasn't feeling well on Wed after getting off work and went straight to bed when I got home. By the time I saw it yesterday after work it was a shriveled up mess hiding under an overhang. It was about the size of gumdrop and fully receded. The shrimp was picking at it too.

I covered it with a small plastic bottle with the top cut off and holes drilled to allow flow through. Before I went to bed it inflated slightly and looked the same this morning. I think it's trying to hang in there but it may be too far gone. I should have been more diligent in looking after it. It was such a nice piece too.

Unread 07/27/2018, 01:52 PM   #8
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks like I'm a day late in saving the rtba. I wasn't feeling well on Wed after getting off work and went straight to bed when I got home. By the time I saw it yesterday after work it was a shriveled up mess hiding under an overhang. It was about the size of gumdrop and fully receded. The shrimp was picking at it too.

I covered it with a small plastic bottle with the top cut off and holes drilled to allow flow through. Before I went to bed it inflated slightly and looked the same this morning. I think it's trying to hang in there but it may be too far gone. I should have been more diligent in looking after it. It was such a nice piece too.
Oh man.... sorry to hear that! Is it looking any better? I have had decent luck bring RBTS back from the brink. As long as his foot is still attached firmly to the rock or glass I leave them in the tank.

Unread 07/27/2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Yes, when I tried to move it, it was still securely attached to the rock so I left it. So I guess there's hope. I will have to wait until I get home today to see if it improved. If not I just hope it's not worsening.

Unread 07/27/2018, 10:19 PM   #10
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, when I tried to move it, it was still securely attached to the rock so I left it. So I guess there's hope. I will have to wait until I get home today to see if it improved. If not I just hope it's not worsening.
Yea there is still hope! As long as it is still attached to the rock, also you can try feeding him a small piece of Mysis tomorrow and see if he grabs it. Keep me posted on how he is doing! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and the nem!

Unread 08/06/2018, 04:47 PM   #11
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Over a week now and not much improvement. It's still in the same place and still attached to the rock but I removed the bottle over it. I fed it coral food (sprayed with a syringe around it). It won't open so I can't get anything directly into its mouth. A few tentacles stick out like little nubs but not much else.