Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2007, 04:20 PM   #1
c.rob
Registered Member

How long till Hair algea defeated?

With reduction in feeding.
Aggresive water changes.
Larger cleanup crew.
Use of Phos media.
How long should it take to see a differance or erradicate the stuff?

c.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2007, 04:23 PM   #2
JRod
Registered Member

It all depends:

-on how bad the problem is.
-on how much phosphate is locked up in the system.

By defeated I take it you mean all wiped out, could be 4 weeks if all is good.

JRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2007, 04:27 PM   #3
c.rob
Registered Member

It was pretty bad untill I scrubbed the rock where I could. Did all the mentioned items above. Still some on the rocks and around some delicate corals. "have some frags now due to the cleaning of the rock". I am running the phos media through an AC500. Will be purchasing a reactor soon.

Unread 06/30/2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Paul B
Premium Member

Well let me see. My reef was started when Nixon was President and I still get cycles of hair algae so I would say maybe 37 years

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2007, 06:14 PM   #5
c.rob
Registered Member

Well lets see... I was 1 when Nixon was President.

How long do your cycles seem to last ? and what are you doing to casue them.

I was overfeeding and Coaching Little Leauge... two teams....oh yeah and subing for coaches on two Soccer teams. MAN kids are a lot of work. wouldn't live without them though!!!

c.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

you need a refugem (even if it's a "makeshift"), and change out your iron based phosphate removal frequently. Also, test phosphate with ROWA or Deltec or colormeter.

Unread 07/14/2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Paul B
Premium Member

My cycles of hair algae can last a month or two and the tank could stay clear of algae for a year or two sometimes longer.
It is a cycle and if you have a tank long enough you may see it.

Unread 07/14/2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Reefbox
Registered Member

c.rob,

Also make sure you know what your tds is on your supply water. If you r feeding your algae with high tds makeup water and water changes it may never go away.

Also may want to look into the convenience of an automatic feeder.

Reefbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2007, 05:48 PM   #9
fatdaddy
Registered Member

I'm at 6+ months. I've gone from a complete forest of hair algae to well under 10% coverage. It's all about controlling nutrients although a little mechanical removal can go a long way.

Unread 07/14/2007, 05:50 PM   #10
cristhiam
Registered Member

My battle lasted it like 6+ months and finally gone. I did water changes, less feeding, added more sand to a deep sand bed 5 inches, mannually removing it, sea hare, more clean up crew, denitrator (not in use now), I added a foxface but I don't think eat much of it (likes corals and clams thou ), and finally a 40G sump/fuge with cheato. now nitrates are at .5 (salifert) no traces of phosphates. Good luck with your battle.

Current Tank Info: 125 AGA, 3 40W 6500K, 3 110W URI Actinics, running on 2 IceCaps 660, CSS125
cristhiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2007, 07:43 PM   #11
specialkb
Registered Member

yeah im going threw an outbreak right now, im slowing my feeding down, and added more to the clean up crew, an in one night my new MEX Turbos have done a nice amount of work. thinking about adding a fuge to my setup some time soon and a phosban reactor is also one of the nexts.

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef, setting up 230G Reef
specialkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2007, 11:12 AM   #12
dieselkeeper
Registered Member

I added a fuge to rid my tank of it. Never came back in almost a year.

Unread 07/15/2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Coffman34
Registered Member

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I mentionioned a little while back about me taking on some aptasia one day with some lemon juice. When I was done with this certain rock that had hair algae on it, and only this rock had it, i squirted a little lemon juice on the hair algae. After about 2 weeks, it eliminated all the hair algae on that rock, and the patch was about 1" wide by 3" long. So it did a decent job.

The only thing I can say is, be careful. It will harm inverts if you do it to them, had a brittle starfish that didn't like it to much, and you have to watch your ph the next couple of days.

Another thing, when you do it, try to remove the rock from the main tank and place it in a makeshift tank with no water flow. This will let the lemon juice settle into the hair roots and kill it better. And then you don't have to worry about the ph of your main display.

Coffman

PS if you try it, let me know if it worked for u also.

Coffman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2007, 04:28 PM   #14
fatdaddy
Registered Member

I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here. As I type, this "thing" has been in my tank for 48 hours and has stripped about half of the hair algae. It's ugly as sin, but I'm starting to fall in love with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-GREEN-BA...QQcmdZViewItem

This thing has a vent on it's back, so it looks a lot like a sponge when it's sleeping/digesting. It prefers hair algae and so far has ignored everything else.

My rocks are a lot cleaner. I also upped my flow to 20x tank size.

Good luck. I hope it's going well.

Unread 07/15/2007, 06:14 PM   #15
Paul B
Premium Member

That is a common sea hare

Unread 07/15/2007, 08:01 PM   #16
fatdaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
That is a common sea hare
Common Sea Hare, good to know. I bought 3 lettuce sea hares before I found this one thinking that they would eat hair algae. They didn't.

Unread 07/16/2007, 03:16 AM   #17
Paul B
Premium Member

This is a lettuce slug, is this what you bought? They don't eat hair algae.
Paul

Unread 07/16/2007, 03:21 AM   #18
uscharalph
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdaddy
I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here. As I type, this "thing" has been in my tank for 48 hours and has stripped about half of the hair algae. It's ugly as sin, but I'm starting to fall in love with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-GREEN-BA...QQcmdZViewItem

This thing has a vent on it's back, so it looks a lot like a sponge when it's sleeping/digesting. It prefers hair algae and so far has ignored everything else.

My rocks are a lot cleaner. I also upped my flow to 20x tank size.

Good luck. I hope it's going well.
Before my sea hare lost a battle with a powerhead, my lawnmower blenny was attacking it. I can't see giving another one a try.

Current Tank Info: 80 Gallon Reef Tank
uscharalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2007, 04:26 AM   #19
njdevilsfan
Registered Member

a bali sea hare will wipe it out
but just buy a ton of mex snails you wont have to return them to the lfs like the bali when the hair is gone

Current Tank Info: 210lps,75anemone,60frag,20
njdevilsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2007, 07:30 AM   #20
fatdaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by njdevilsfan
a bali sea hare will wipe it out
but just buy a ton of mex snails you wont have to return them to the lfs like the bali when the hair is gone
I'm already thinking of giving it up. I thought I'd have plenty for it to eat, but it's proving me wrong.

I need to cure some rocks, but I don't know when I'll have hair algae again. I know the LFS is having hair algae problems. I'll have to rent him out.

Unread 07/16/2007, 07:07 PM   #21
sarahdae
Registered Member

I discovered the awesomest natural control for hair algae...red leg hermit crabs. I AM ABSOLUTELY positive they eat green fuzzy hair algae, because I stuck one in my nano which had it, and a day later it was nearly gone. Since he is in the nano, I got to watch him up close...his little pincher claws would grab and rip the hair algae off the rocks and he would eat it...crawling along, until the rock was clean. I wondered why when I moved some Live rock from my main display, it started growing hair algae in my nano when I have never had hair algae in the display!
Now I know why, the red leg hermits in my display are always on the rocks picking and eating, never allowing it to grow. THe hermits love it. You have to get the "mexican red leg hermits". Not blue legs, not scarlets, because I can't guarantee those kinds will work the same. TRY IT!

Current Tank Info: 90 gal, mixed tank, 2 250w HQI/2X110w actinic, Deltec MCE600 skimmer
sarahdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2007, 08:11 PM   #22
uhuru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uscharalph
Before my sea hare lost a battle with a powerhead, my lawnmower blenny was attacking it. I can't see giving another one a try.
did your lawnmower blenny eat the hair algae? maybe it didn't want the sea hare eating all of it's food...

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote