Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2018, 07:25 AM   #1
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Skimmer help!

I recently bought a TMC reef skim 500 dc, and I’m having an overflow issue, the foam flows right into the collection cup and also starts pushing the lid off and overflows. I’ve tried adjusting the air/water level/height of the skimmer and none of this seems to help! Dose anyone know why this could be? I’ve never used a skimmer before and I can’t figure it out

Ryan20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 07:42 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

They take some time to break in (several days to two weeks).

You can try removing the body cap if it has one. Otherwise set it on the lowest possible and just let it overflow back into the sump till it's broke in.

Unread 03/09/2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Ah so this is totally normal for a new skimmer? Good to know cheers!

Unread 03/09/2018, 10:29 AM   #4
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Turn down the flow on the controller. it's DC right?

best to set a new skimmer up with the water output wide open (lower internal water level inside skimmer) and just let it run without trying to adjust the foam head. Let it run like that for about 48 hours then adjust the foam head upwards (with wedge pipe) in very small increments and monitor for a couple hours after each tweek until the foam head is stable and right around the bottom of the cup. if you try to adjust it right away to push foam into the cup, as it breaks in, it will almost always overflow.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Yeah it’s a dc the pump is on the lowest setting, as well as the water level and air and also the water in the sump is around the recommended depth shown on the skimmer. I’m assuming the foam will die down as the skimmer breaks in?

Unread 03/09/2018, 06:13 PM   #6
reeftivo
Skim junkie

it should settle down

interesting skimmer!

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Here’s a picture it’s going pretty mental, it’s all pretty “clean” foam though

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB6EF5B5-EF30-4853-A00F-34199AFF57EB.jpg (46.3 KB, 34 views)
Unread 03/11/2018, 09:21 AM   #8
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Looks like it should be in deeper water, hard to tell exactly from that pic. Can u measure and check manufacturer specs?

Unread 03/11/2018, 01:51 PM   #9
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Random question, have you put any additives in the water before you added the skimmer?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 07:47 AM   #10
Ryan20A
Registered Member

The water level is actually very slightly above the recommended line but the manufacturer does claim that it can be in deeper water/shallow water the only thing I added was aqua pure reef balance balls and a piece of shrimp to get the cycle kicked off. This was literally at the same time as turning it on though so wouldn’t imagine this could be the cause? It’s been overflowing like that for around 4 days now

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:27 AM   #11
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan20A View Post
The water level is actually very slightly above the recommended line but the manufacturer does claim that it can be in deeper water/shallow water the only thing I added was aqua pure reef balance balls and a piece of shrimp to get the cycle kicked off. This was literally at the same time as turning it on though so wouldn’t imagine this could be the cause? It’s been overflowing like that for around 4 days now
Did you assemble correctly? Specifically the bubble plate? If backwards it can cause this issue.

This could also be caused by "something" in the water. As if there were chemicals or residue left on newly installed products, glass, etc. You could try this: get two 5g buckets. Fill one with newly mixed salt water. Let the skimmer overflow as much as possible through the drain line into the other 5g bucket. As the water level drops add the new salt water to compensate. This would allow the skimmer to pull out whatever is causing it to go nuts vs continuously recycling in the tank water. This process will take some time but you can spread it out over a day where you plan on being home. Check water loss every couple of hours and replace as needed. Mark the sump so you know where to return the water level to each time.

Unread 03/12/2018, 12:53 PM   #12
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Sounds like a good plan! Il give it a go tomorrow when I’m off work, it could be something on the glas etc as everything is brand new it was only filled with water for the first time last Wednesday. Cheers for the help!

Unread 03/12/2018, 03:25 PM   #13
Ryan20A
Registered Member

So I stuck the skimmer in a tub of freshly made salt water and it’s working perfect so clearly it’s something in the tank making it go crazy, any advice on what I should do from here? Do I just let it go crazy and hope that it calms down? (It’s been overflowing for 4 days now) or do I have to find another solution? Everything is brand new and the tank was filled and I started the cycling process at the same time as Turing the skimmer on using a piece of shrimp and some aqua pure reef balance balls. This is totally frying my brain

Unread 03/12/2018, 04:11 PM   #14
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Did you assemble correctly? Specifically the bubble plate? If backwards it can cause this issue.

This could also be caused by "something" in the water. As if there were chemicals or residue left on newly installed products, glass, etc. You could try this: get two 5g buckets. Fill one with newly mixed salt water. Let the skimmer overflow as much as possible through the drain line into the other 5g bucket. As the water level drops add the new salt water to compensate. This would allow the skimmer to pull out whatever is causing it to go nuts vs continuously recycling in the tank water. This process will take some time but you can spread it out over a day where you plan on being home. Check water loss every couple of hours and replace as needed. Mark the sump so you know where to return the water level to each time.
Do this ^

Put the skimmer back in the sump. Run the drain line out into an empty bucket. Use new salt water to replace what is being discarded.

Unread 03/13/2018, 07:48 AM   #15
Ryan20A
Registered Member

So I followed your advice and I’ve spend the day letting the skimmer empty into a bucket, it’s been a slow process like watching pain dry it’s not completely stoped yet but has made a HUGE difference so far!

Unread 03/13/2018, 07:51 AM   #16
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan20A View Post
So I followed your advice and I’ve spend the day letting the skimmer empty into a bucket, it’s been a slow process like watching pain dry it’s not completely stoped yet but has made a HUGE difference so far!
Glad to hear it. Yes it's a slow process but still cheaper and easier than doing huge water changes to dilute it.

Unread 03/13/2018, 08:08 AM   #17
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Yeah definitely, I don’t yet have an ro/di filter so I’ve been limited to the 25l of salt water and 24l of ro that I already have sitting, Il probably take a trip to get some more incase I need it again. Hopefully il have an ro filter soon to save the hassle, my arms are still sore after collecting 300l of it from the LFS Thanks for the help it seems to have sorted my issue

Unread 03/13/2018, 08:28 AM   #18
shred5
Registered Member

Looking at that you have something in your water most likely. did you use epoxy?

The other issue could be too deep of water or you have back pressure on the output causing the water to raise to high in the skimmer, but to me you have something in the water.

I would add carbon and polyfilters. Also when the cup fills throw out that water and add new saltwater.

Unread 03/13/2018, 10:36 AM   #19
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

Ive had that problem when I added a brand new filter socks, they have a chemical on them that makes skimmers overflow. If you have new socks take them out and rinse the heck out of them.

HTH

Joe

Unread 03/13/2018, 11:42 AM   #20
Ryan20A
Registered Member

I did use epoxy on the rock but it was over a month before the tank was actually filled so would be fully cured by then? I do also have a brand new filter sock, it’s definitely something in the tank as I put the skimmer in a tub of fresh salt water and it worked perfect. Since letting it drain into the bucket it’s not doing this anywhere near as much....I think another day or two doing this and it should sort it out? I’ve ran out of spare water for the moment though