Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2018, 06:00 PM   #1
Mj75
Registered Member

Hippo tang weird behavior

Got back from a weekend trip to find 4 big frags all over the sand and some on the rocks. I figured must be the power head blowing it off or the fishes knocking it down.
So I put back all the frags on the rack.
Then after 1/2 hour 3 sps frags were either on the sand again and some in the rocks. These are bigger sps frags with plugs on.
Annoyed, I put them on the rack again, then same thing happened after a few minutes when I turned my back.

I finally saw the blue hippo tang pick up a large sps frag, put it on cleanly on a rock like nothing. The fish is about 8 y/o 6 inches long. I moved the frag rack under a power head instead on the front glass and so far it hassle happened again is this normal hippo tang behavior?

Mj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2018, 06:08 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Hippo tangs are idiosyncratic ..... and clumsy. Not unusual for them to do strange things.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2018, 07:04 PM   #3
Sam2832
Registered Member

Get a zen reef frag rack, no fishs or urchins will be able to mess with your frags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote