Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2018, 02:20 AM   #3176
tkeracer619
Registered Member

It won't damage the tube. The only issue is how long a run you'll be making. Use large diameter poly to reduce back pressure. Definitely test calibration at those speeds to make sure you are getting equal transfer. The head you have is a good option for what you want to do. While that tube is proprietary and expensive, it is also very high performance, and will do better in your application than the tube we normally use.

Just make sure to use pharmed BPT. It has the longest operational life.

I would definitely use a conductivity probe and leak detector in a system where I was going to do a rapid AWC like this.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 02:26 AM   #3177
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Someone semi-local is selling a calcium reactor setup including a MTC Mini Cal, a Carbondoser regulator with tank and a Cole-Parmer Masterflex 7523-60 with easy load. As far as I can tell the only thing I need to purchase is media, LS17 tubing and the items from the first group of post #3 in this thread?

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this thing even though I'm fairly intimidated by setup. My tank is only 120g but I'm using quite a bit of 2 part and looking for increased consistency.

ReefTron5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 08:55 AM   #3178
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

The MTC MINI is a good choice.

Unread 12/27/2018, 03:49 PM   #3179
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefTron5000 View Post
Someone semi-local is selling a calcium reactor setup including a MTC Mini Cal, a Carbondoser regulator with tank and a Cole-Parmer Masterflex 7523-60 with easy load. As far as I can tell the only thing I need to purchase is media, LS17 tubing and the items from the first group of post #3 in this thread?

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this thing even though I'm fairly intimidated by setup. My tank is only 120g but I'm using quite a bit of 2 part and looking for increased consistency.
Be sure the head you are getting will work for LS 17 tubing.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 09:06 PM   #3180
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Yes the MasterFlex comes with a Easy-Load pump head. The website lists L/S 17 as one of the tubing sizes accepted.

About to place my order from US Plastics now. Stoked!

Last edited by ReefTron5000; 12/27/2018 at 09:20 PM.
Unread 12/27/2018, 11:12 PM   #3181
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Be sure the head you are getting will work for LS 17 tubing.
It will
Quote:
Yes the MasterFlex comes with a Easy-Load pump head. The website lists L/S 17 as one of the tubing sizes accepted.

About to place my order from US Plastics now. Stoked!
You should be

This thread will dial in everything for you.

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 11:37 PM   #3182
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Awesome! Welcome to the club!!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2018, 01:23 AM   #3183
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Just placed my order from US plastics for the items in post 3. I'll also get some polyethylene tubing from Home Depot. Couple dumb questions.

1) I've got an Apex but I'm unclear if I need a second pH probe or not. As I understand it the Apex wouldn't actually be connected to the reactor to control anything.

2) Throughout the thread I keep reading "use the special tubing for the pump and poly for the runs". I'm assuming "the runs" is referring to the distance the tank water is travelling to and from the reactor?

3) What is the recommended media? I'll be using an MTC Mini Cal. Just trying to line up all the bits before I get the thing.

Thanks

Unread 12/28/2018, 11:00 AM   #3184
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Just placed my order from US plastics for the items in post 3. I'll also get some polyethylene tubing from Home Depot. Couple dumb questions.

1) I've got an Apex but I'm unclear if I need a second pH probe or not. As I understand it the Apex wouldn't actually be connected to the reactor to control anything.

2) Throughout the thread I keep reading "use the special tubing for the pump and poly for the runs". I'm assuming "the runs" is referring to the distance the tank water is travelling to and from the reactor?

3) What is the recommended media? I'll be using an MTC Mini Cal. Just trying to line up all the bits before I get the thing.

Thanks
I would use a pH probe in the reactor and in the case of the Apex, a PM1 with an additional probe would be a good thing. You will use that as a failsafe. Especially as you fine tune the reactor. Once you get the reactors effluent rate and Co2 rate dialed in, the Apex should not intervene unless the pH falls below your set point. You can also use that pH probe to notify you when the Co2 runs out as the pH in the reactor will climb.

Special tubing for the pump is likely referring to the pharmed LS17. Most of us use RODI type polyethylene tubing between the tank and reactor, reactor and pump and pump and tank.

As for media, I like TLF Reborn with Remag in the main reactor and ARM Fine media in the 2nd chamber. Reborn is coral skeletons and as it dissolves, it will release not only calcium and alk but also the trace elements the corals used to grow. It’s good stuff, clean and very effective. Remag also by TLF will add magnesium to the system.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2018, 01:52 PM   #3185
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Thanks.

I will order this probe holder from BRS and install like this picture below with a T.

I'll go with the TLF media as well. Do you know if one 8.8 lbs bag of reborn is enough? I guess I can just get the 44lb bag -- just sounds like a lot.

Unread 12/28/2018, 02:17 PM   #3186
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

That's not a Mini -Cal.
That's the large Pro - Cal

Unread 12/28/2018, 02:21 PM   #3187
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Yes I know, I was just referencing that image to show how I will install the ph probe holder in the mini cal. Wanted to make sure this was okay.

Unread 12/29/2018, 03:53 PM   #3188
hkgar
Registered Member

Here is how the LS 17 pharm tubing is used.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xLZTdYcY7H9g356QA

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 03:43 PM   #3189
biglurr54
Registered Member

Got everything set up and running with the reactor. I'm waiting for my second head so I can fire up the kalk reactor.

I'm pulling through the reactor and pushing through the secondary gas off chamber. The pump on the kalk reactor will pull through it as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 04:30 PM   #3190
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Picked up the mini cal. I've got it in a vinegar bath right now. Apparently US Plastics uses super slow shipping so john guest fittings and LS17 tubing don't arrive until next week. The questions begin.

1) I'm trying to understand the basics of my setup. Without the Masterflex water comes in through the blue line right? Would that just sit somewhere in the sump and the Eheim would draw the water in to the reactor? Then it gets mixed up and pushed out through the red line at the top of the secondary chamber?

With the Masterflex, I'd have a section of poly tubing sitting in my sump, that would connect via the john guest adapters to one end of the MF, then the other end of the MF line would connect to the blue line on my calcium reactor. Air line from the bottom of the CarbonDoser connects to the bottom of the bubble counter. Is that right for the basic plumbing?

2) I'm trying to figure out how to plumb the T for the ph probe. I was thinking about cutting off about a 1/4" from each end of the T so that I could fit it right there after the union? Any issues with that? Other than that I'm not sure where to put the thing.

Unread 01/02/2019, 04:41 PM   #3191
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Picked up the mini cal. I've got it in a vinegar bath right now. Apparently US Plastics uses super slow shipping so john guest fittings and LS17 tubing don't arrive until next week. The questions begin.

1) I'm trying to understand the basics of my setup. Without the Masterflex water comes in through the blue line right? Would that just sit somewhere in the sump and the Eheim would draw the water in to the reactor? Then it gets mixed up and pushed out through the red line at the top of the secondary chamber?

With the Masterflex, I'd have a section of poly tubing sitting in my sump, that would connect via the john guest adapters to one end of the MF, then the other end of the MF line would connect to the blue line on my calcium reactor. Air line from the bottom of the CarbonDoser connects to the bottom of the bubble counter. Is that right for the basic plumbing?

2) I'm trying to figure out how to plumb the T for the ph probe. I was thinking about cutting off about a 1/4" from each end of the T so that I could fit it right there after the union? Any issues with that? Other than that I'm not sure where to put the thing.

I’ve cut T’s and elbows down many times in an effort to fit them into tight places. Just be sure to clean the glue points well and add glue to both the pipe and the inside of the fitting to insure a good bond and you will be fine. I use rubbing alcohol when I don’t have PVC cleaner handy. In the picture below, I cut 3/4 of an inch off each side of this 2” T to make it fit the drain intakes on this sump during a custom install I did a few weeks back. I also had to cut about 1/2” off the reduces going into the T.

As for your plumbing, I would just put the Masterflex in front of the reactor and let it push through the first chamber and then the first chamber feeds the second and the second one returns to your sump. No point in over complicating it. That’s how I run mine. Or if you want to pull, then put the Masterflex after the 2nd chamber and let it pull through the reactors from the sump. I perfer pushing simply because it makes finding a leak easy and I’ve never encounter any issues pumping through the reactors in several years of using feed pumps on calcium reactors.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70FD999A-7481-4AB6-BE48-DE9491C8A1A4.jpg (45.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg C3938CBE-44EF-4F3F-B3CB-A028105F9B93.jpg (67.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 430D1902-AB1C-4DDC-8B30-F03542237373.jpg (58.8 KB, 20 views)

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/02/2019 at 04:54 PM.
Unread 01/02/2019, 05:02 PM   #3192
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

I also cut the T down on the drain intakes on this custom install as well. This one wasn’t cut as much as the one above but you do what you need to to do make things fit and PVC is very forgiving when it comes to these kinds of modifications. Especially since there will never be much pressure involved.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92398C2A-3BF4-480D-ABBB-34D352DF8583.jpg (62.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg EC4CD705-F15F-4ED2-B896-CAB41C76ADC7.jpg (30.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg CD128163-DD6D-4980-92EE-1835AF0D0ABA.jpg (40.0 KB, 19 views)

Unread 01/02/2019, 05:13 PM   #3193
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You are correct on the flow from the blue line in to the red line out.
However, you should prime the blue line to get a suction into the pump.
I have found out the hard way -- put 2 JG shut off valves in line before the pump.
This way when servicing & refilling the line from the water supply (sump) remains full & the other valve keeps the water in the reactor avoiding water all over.

Unread 01/02/2019, 05:31 PM   #3194
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
As for your plumbing, I would just put the Masterflex in front of the reactor and let it push through the first chamber and then the first chamber feeds the second and the second one returns to your sump. No point in over complicating it. That’s how I run mine. Or if you want to pull, then put the Masterflex after the 2nd chamber and let it pull through the reactors from the sump. I perfer pushing simply because it makes finding a leak easy and I’ve never encounter any issues pumping through the reactors in several years of using feed pumps on calcium reactors.
Okay so just to confirm, for the PUSH method, the input side of the masterflex is pulling water from the sump and the output side is pushing it into the bottom of the first chamber through the blue line?

IF I wanted to do PULL, I would connect the MF input line to the red line at the top of the second chamber. Then the blue line would go into the sump. This would pull water through both chambers. The output line of the MF would go back into the tank.

Sorry for being thick about this I just want to make sure I understand it right.

Unread 01/02/2019, 06:21 PM   #3195
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Okay so just to confirm, for the PUSH method, the input side of the masterflex is pulling water from the sump and the output side is pushing it into the bottom of the first chamber through the blue line?

IF I wanted to do PULL, I would connect the MF input line to the red line at the top of the second chamber. Then the blue line would go into the sump. This would pull water through both chambers. The output line of the MF would go back into the tank.

Sorry for being thick about this I just want to make sure I understand it right.
If you want to push, the input for the masterflex goes to the sump so the masterflex can pull water from the sump. The output from the masterflex goes to the bottom of the first reactor (blue line) to feed the reactor. The green line at the top of the first reactor goes to the bottom of the 2nd reactor and the red line at the top of the 2nd reactor (effluent) would go back to the sump as well. You will remove that valve though or open it up all the way. This is the way I would run it. As Vinny mentioned, it’s wise to put John Guest valves at all connections so you can do maintenance without the water draining from the lines so you don’t need to prime the lines everytime you do mainenance or change hoses or media.

If you want to pull, the input for the masterflex connects to the red line of the second reactor (valve removed or open all the way) with the output of the masterflex going to the sump for the effluent. The blue line on the bottom of the first reactor would also go to the sump where it will draw/suck water. The green line at the top of the first reactor goes to the bottom of the 2nd reactor.

Also as Vinny mentioned, I would suggest filling both reactors all the way to the top with water so they are primed. Then run the masterflex at full speed to purge any remaining air. Let the masterflex run for 24 hours without any Co2 to purge any air. Keep the circulation pump off during the first 24 hours as well though I usually fire the circulation pump up for the first couple minutes after the initial priming. I also shake the reactors while the pump is off to get any remaining air out of the media.

Unread 01/02/2019, 06:37 PM   #3196
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Thank you so much, that clarifies a lot. I think I'm good on the basic stuff I was confused about. I've got to wait until I get the rest of my gear then I'll have a whole other batch of questions!

Unread 01/04/2019, 12:14 AM   #3197
FishProf
Registered Member

please comment on my schematic for AWC

Hi all,

I'm quite exited about this thread and the possibilities it presents.

Here is what I have: I snagged a Masterflex model 7551-00. It's a newer model with remote control capabilities (and the RPM that correspond to the voltage can be changed). I can control it through the varspeed port of the Apex. I have a dual channel head (model 7536-02) that takes size 35 tubing (flow of 2300 mL at 600 RPM = .61 gallon/minute = 36.45 gallon/hour).

The challenge is - I want to be able to do BOTH slow continuous water change (say, about 3.5 gallon per day; my tank is 300 gallon) AND a more rapid water change, say, 60 gallon, which will take about 2 hours to drain and 2 hours to fill back the sump.

I want to program Apex to do both. Please see the schematic attached. I would have: two normally-closed solenoid valves, two normally-open solenoid valves, one top-off valve (my top-off is reservoir fills the sump by gravity; I use a normally-open zero pressure to stay open solenoid valve). All valves are 110 volt, controlled by the Apex through an EB8. Plus the VarSpeed control.

V1 = returns NSW back to its reservoir; Normally-closed
V2 = directs NSW to the tank; Normally-open
V3 = circulates Old SW from the sump to the tank; Normally-closed
V4 = Old SW to drain (sewage pipe); Normally-open

I still need to figure out how to trigger the profiles, but I foresee three profiles as follows:

Profile 1: Normal operation, continuous slow water change (in this profile, all solenoid valves are in their normal "off" position - that is, V1 and V2 are Normally-Closed valves, and V2 and V4 and TopOff are Normally-Open valves)
V1=Closed; V2 = Open; V3 = Closed; V4 = Open; TopOff = Open; VarSpeed = low

Profile 2: Drain the sump
V1 = Open; V2 = Closed; V3 = Closed; V4 = Open; TopOff = Closed; VarSpeed = high

Profile 3: Fill back
V1=Closed; V2 = Open; V3 = Open; V4 = Closed; TopOff = Closed; VarSpeed = high

The idea is - when I want to do a rapid water change, I'll first activate profile 2, then profile 3.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cont Auto Water Change schematic.jpg (15.5 KB, 15 views)
FishProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 07:40 PM   #3198
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
As for media, I like TLF Reborn with Remag in the main reactor and ARM Fine media in the 2nd chamber. Reborn is coral skeletons and as it dissolves, it will release not only calcium and alk but also the trace elements the corals used to grow. It’s good stuff, clean and very effective. Remag also by TLF will add magnesium to the system.
I'm assuming TLF Reborn in both chambers is okay? I didn't get any ARM Fine, just a big ole box of Reborn and a small bag of Remag.

Unread 01/05/2019, 07:52 PM   #3199
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I'm assuming TLF Reborn in both chambers is okay? I didn't get any ARM Fine, just a big ole box of Reborn and a small bag of Remag.
That’s fine. The ARM fine is being discontued. I prefer the fine because I think the added surface space does a bit better job buffering the pH of the effluent at a much lower cost but I doubt you’d see much of a difference anyway and reborn is great stuff.

Unread 01/07/2019, 03:35 PM   #3200
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

Tubing arrives today so I'll be setting this up in a bit. I'm going to go with the push method as you suggested slief.

Is there any trick to installing the LS17 tubing into the pump? Lift lever, drop tubing in place, close lever then go into settings somewhere and select proper size?