Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2018, 06:03 PM   #26
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilly2524 View Post
the sunlight might be a factor but it is only on the tank for maybe 40 minutes if that and there are parts of the tank that have cyano/GHA and that dont get hit with any of the sunlight. i will try blocking it out though. and as for my actual light schedule i have cut it back dramatically as well. it is now 8 hr instead of 12 hr. the T5s arent ran as much and the intensity of the kessils is at about 2/3s normal intensity. i will see about getting some flucolzone.
Cutting back photoperiod will definitely go in the right direction, ya 40 minutes not worried to much about, 8 is good, mine is 9, 12 is too long, watch those T5's when the get 8-12 months old, the spectrum turns more reddish, which algae loves.

So assuming these are all the causes, once the fluconazole is done, you should be cleaner...

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/12/2018 at 06:10 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 08:36 PM   #27
Lsufan
Registered Member

I agree with the others but one thing I will add is I would not start dosing photo. To me it will make the problem worse. If u where battling Dino then phyto could do some good. That is because when battling Dino u want other algea to grow to compete with the Dino.

Make sure u clean the tank well & syphon off as much as possible before treatment, whether u do a blackout, fluconazole or chemiclean

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2018, 07:40 PM   #28
reilly2524
Registered Member

Ugh, for a while it seemed like the GHA was fading a little but now It doesn’t like ok like it’s fading atnd it looks like it’s growijg back in some places. Also the cyano has gone crazy. It’s covered the sand bed with a thick mat and it’s all over the glass. Should I try a blackout again? Should I try red slime remover? Should I try and wait it out some more?

reilly2524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 09:14 AM   #29
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Always had issues with diatoms/cyano/or whatever the hell it was growing in my sand. Tried bio pellets with a proper recirc reactor, H2O2 dosing, reduced food, frequent sock changes, 3 day blackouts, water changes, refugium, chemiclean, the list goes on. Either no change, got worse, or just temporary improvement.
Started an algae scrubber 2+ months ago. Algae is getting lighter, I’m finding more broken pieces in my socks, and the sand is cleaning up. So far, so good, I’m hoping this will be a long term solution. Supposedly, scrubbing will take the place of all other filtration, although I’m not sold on that just yet.
I shopped around, finally bought from these folks:
https://www.expressions-ltd.com/coll...lgae-scrubbers
I thought it was weird that they’re not an aquarium business per se, but the product and lights are working well. I’m up to weekly scraping and maintenance is pretty easy. Way more successful than growing cheato

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyano, cyano bacteria, cyano outbreak, gha, gha green hair algae help