Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2016, 06:12 PM   #26
Skaters216
Registered Member

The crawl space on my addition to my house was filled with 32" of water from hurricane Irene the crawl space measures 40'x18' long and another section 16'x16', it took me 14 hours to pump it out and when the So called insurance company came he told me since it was down graded from a hurricane to a tropical storm I wouldn't be covered for damage to my electric duck work or for the damage to my main part of my houses basement which I lost all my furniture and carpets and some other stuff,, around 15,000 worth of damage,,, insurance companies are a scam,, there's a lot more to this story with damage to my siding and fencing around my property that I won't get into but wow how they screwed me!!!!

Skaters216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 06:13 PM   #27
Skaters216
Registered Member

Your better off breaking a water line after you shut the water main off and said that's how it happened cause they will cover you for that,,,, it's a dam joke what they get away with

Skaters216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 10:20 AM   #28
jmm
Registered Member

I had my livestock end up being covered. I had a 500 gallon and a 180 gallon. The hose behind the washer broke and filled the house with three or four inches of water. There was carpet under the tanks. I told the insurance company that the tanks would have to be emptied to be moved so the carpet could be replaced. I explained that I would have to "board" the livestock at local fish stores and that none actually had enough room for that much livestock so I expected losses from overcrowding their systems. I also expected losses from re-stacking the coral and live rock where things might get mashed.

They said write a letter explaining my fears and estimating my losses. I estimated $10,000 and they paid promptly.

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 10:40 AM   #29
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
I had my livestock end up being covered. I had a 500 gallon and a 180 gallon. The hose behind the washer broke and filled the house with three or four inches of water. There was carpet under the tanks. I told the insurance company that the tanks would have to be emptied to be moved so the carpet could be replaced. I explained that I would have to "board" the livestock at local fish stores and that none actually had enough room for that much livestock so I expected losses from overcrowding their systems. I also expected losses from re-stacking the coral and live rock where things might get mashed.

They said write a letter explaining my fears and estimating my losses. I estimated $10,000 and they paid promptly.
10k between 680g of water seems conservative to me... At least they covered it

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 10:50 AM   #30
NS Mike D
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freed View Post
I just checked with my insurance company a little while ago and my agent assured me I would be covered in the event my tank sprang a leak. Good to go!
Ask him/her to point out the section in the policy under which the damage of a tank leak is covered. At the end of the day, it's what is in the contract that counts. I prefer to read what is in writing over oral assurances. Also, write down the date and name of the agent and his/her exact words.in case it came down to a he said she said - and getting him/her to send you an email confirming this is also valuable.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 11:03 AM   #31
Butch01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaters216 View Post
insurance companies are a scam

They most assuredly are NOT a scam if you shop around and buy wisely. They're only a scam if you don't, and you don't get what you pay for. I had a devastating house fire (it burned right to the foundation) on 16 December 2013 at around 3 in the afternoon. I'm insured by USAA, and the USAA rep was in my driveway the next morning at 0830, and within an hour he'd electronically transferred $5k into my USAA checking account to tide me over and allow me to buy clothes, toiletries, and basic necessities. Even with all the investigation (which was inconclusive as to the origin of the fire) and the hoops I had to jump through, I had a full and complete settlement for the dwelling, the outbuilding lost, and my personal effects in the house within three weeks with not a single question about anything. I have NOTHING but good things to say about USAA from that standpoint.

Tell me how insurance is a scam.

Butch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 01:12 PM   #32
CindyK
Registered Member

We've used USAA for years, and had some good experiences, but we have come across some odd idiosyncrasies. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they wouldn't cover a fish tank; or if they were choosy about what they covered. When we had an issue with them (related to our car insurance) and I asked my attorney about it, he said that at the end of they day they can choose who and what they cover, and I can choose who I buy my insurance from.

Glad I read this. I'm going to have to check into this issue before I fill, and get the answer in writing.

CindyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 01:18 PM   #33
CindyK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathel View Post
USAA is one of the highest rated insurance carries out there ... I would chage if I were you ... however, I would ask them to add coverage to your policy for your fish tank. I would bet it's only a small cost upgrade.
We were told "no" when we tried to add a rider for our bicycles...we've spent minimally $15k on them

CindyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2016, 04:43 PM   #34
UCT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
Ask him/her to point out the section in the policy under which the damage of a tank leak is covered. At the end of the day, it's what is in the contract that counts. I prefer to read what is in writing over oral assurances. Also, write down the date and name of the agent and his/her exact words.in case it came down to a he said she said - and getting him/her to send you an email confirming this is also valuable.
Almost all homeowner's insurance policies insure the home for "all risks" of loss, which means all loses are covered unless excluded somewhere else in the insurance policy. Some insure contents against all risks and others insure only against "named perils." One of the named perils usually covered is plumbing leaks, so even under this type of policy contents might be covered depending on what happened.

UCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2016, 06:28 PM   #35
Aquaengineer
Registered Member

Be sure to review your policy and what is excluded or capped. An aquarium is considered a category 3 water damage. Some have microbial caps due to the amount of mold claims out there. You can always buy more coverage to increase caps on specific items. If they send you a letter do not just throw it away. It could be a notification of changes in your policy. I work as an independent disaster cleanup contractor and if you do not know the game Adjusters Play, you can get screwed. Especially by the big box insurance companies. If you have a fish tank you had better pay a little more premium for adequate coverage. Every carrier will try to get out of it or short pay it first. Never ask your broker. They are often told to tell you that your loss is not covered until you push it. Threaten to hire a public adjuster and see how fast you get service. Not that I would hire a PA they can be just as unethical.

Aquaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2016, 06:49 PM   #36
Squampton
Registered Member

I am a renter and in Canada, and insurance policies sure are not easy to read for us non-lawyer types...... No mention of aquariums, when I asked about this topic, they just sent the below which is the same as whats in the policy, I only have a small tank and landlord knows, but I imagine 20 gallons could still cause some unpleasant damage.

This is what the policy says...

Water damage exclusions.

Your Policy does not insure loss or damage directly or indirectly:

(a) caused by flood, ground water or rising of the water table, waves, tidal waves, high water, tsunamis, ice or waterborne
objects whether or not they can be attributed to earthquake;

(b) caused by gradual, continuous or repeated seepage, condensation, or leakage of water or steam over a period of time;

(c) caused by surface water, unless the surface water is a result of the sudden and accidental escape of water from a water
main, swimming pool or hot tub, but you are not insured for damage to the water main itself;

(d) caused by water that occurs when your Premises is Vacant, even if you have advised the Insurer that it is Vacant;

(e) caused by freezing of a plumbing, heating, or cooling system or an appliance that uses or holds water unless:

(1) the loss or damage occurs within a heated portion of a Building or Detached Structure insured under this Policy;
and
(2) while you or your tenants are away from the Premises for more than seven (7) consecutive days for any reason
other than receiving emergency medical treatment, you or your tenant:

shut off the water supply and drain both the plumbing system and any appliances that use or hold
water; or

(ii) make arrangements to ensure the heat is maintained at an acceptable level;

(f) caused by freezing, thawing, pressure or weight of water or ice, whether driven by wind or not, to fence, pavement, patio,
swimming pool and equipment, foundation, retaining wall, bulkhead, pier, wharf, dock or bridge

Squampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 11:58 AM   #37
AaronGustafson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
I was very specific in my questions... Atleast with USAA (my insurance company), water damage from a fish tank is not covered. They did indicate that water damage from an applicance would be covered, but not a fish tank.
I just spoke with my USAA agent last night and they confirmed that my renters policy would cover a tank leak. Maybe their insurance policies have changed. Of course the damage coverage is relative to your insured amount.

AaronGustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 11:59 AM   #38
AaronGustafson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyK View Post
We were told "no" when we tried to add a rider for our bicycles...we've spent minimally $15k on them
You can get a personal property rider for expensive items like jewelry. Maybe approach it that way?

AaronGustafson is offline   Reply With Quote