Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Acrylic or Starfire 150g long 5x2x2?
Custom scrylic 9 22.50%
SCA Starfire 31 77.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2018, 01:27 PM   #26
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Weight is my complaint with glass. I had a 300 glass, it took six strong men to move it six inches. One side of the end panel eventually popped out, fortunately all 300 gallons hit the concrete basement floor and went out an open door to the backyard. My roommate was home; he said the glass BOWED like rubber. Scared him so bad he went back upstairs.

Anything over 150, acrylic.

I installed a 150 glass for a customer, it took five strong men to put it in. But I once picked up one end of a 150 acrylic with one arm.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 02:49 PM   #27
alton
Registered Member

In this case I would vote acrylic only because the tank I see looks very close to a cracked tank I purchased from a fellow reefer for a $100 who did not trust it. It was a different brand. This tank was made in China and shipped to his home, and the warranty stunk. Once I got the tank I realized the crack was not on the outside but inside. It looked like the builder took a cracked pane of glass and instead of discarding it, they used it and sent it to him.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 03:35 PM   #28
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
One side of the end panel eventually popped out, fortunately all 300 gallons hit the concrete basement floor
Jesus was this while you guys were moving it? Good thing it didn't land on anyone's toes it would have taken them clean off.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 08:25 PM   #29
CAPT_Dave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrupaw View Post
http://www.mightymagnets.com/algaeCutterBag.html

Works like a charm. This has replaced all my plastic scrapers. surprised more folks don't use this.

Nrupaw, do those bags work on coralline or just film algae? I watched the sales video and even though he had plenty of coralline algae on the acrylic with which to demonstrate, he avoided it. Made me think it wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 120 g mixed reef
CAPT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 09:05 PM   #30
Nrupaw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_Dave View Post
Nrupaw, do those bags work on coralline or just film algae? I watched the sales video and even though he had plenty of coralline algae on the acrylic with which to demonstrate, he avoided it. Made me think it wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does work on coralline. I just put my magnet the bag and run it over the coralline. Couple passes and it's gone. Same with the algae cutter pad.

Give it a shot. I think they are like $5-6 bucks.

The premise is very simple actually. Both products use a plastic that's softer that acrylic.that in turn doesn't scratch acrylic

If you do use it, let me know your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nrupaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 09:34 PM   #31
lagatbezan
Registered Member

For larger tanks I would agree acrylic is the way to go. I agree acrylic does get scratched easier, that's a given, but there are also lots of horror stories of glass tanks failing at the seams. That was enough reason for me to go acrylic. Just a few months ago one of my larger pieces of rock must have somehow shifted in my tank and fallen to the back wall. No idea how it happened but I was so glad my tank wasn't glass to crack. I also got little kids in the house where sometimes toys tend to fly around... sometimes big heavy ones lol.
You just have to be careful on how you clean the acrylic and you will be good to go. Someone else also mentioned mighty magnets. It's by far the best investment I have made and worth every penny. Use their algae scraper pads with it and it will cut through the most stubborn algae within 2-3 passes with no harm to the acrylic.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 12:47 AM   #32
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Just wait until you try to clean some stubborn calcified green algae off the acrylic. That stuff only comes off with a rasor blade.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 09:33 PM   #33
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've been keeping reef tanks since about 1988. Up until last Fall, I'd never had an acrylic tank. All glass, all the time - from 10 gallons all the way up to 265. OK, I did have a plywood tank once ...... once! Last Fall I went acrylic for my current 450/400. So far, I've no reason to regret it, and plenty to be happy with. Of course acrylic scratches more easily, so you have to be smart about it. Don't let calcified algae build up, and buy a good quality magnet cleaner. If you cannot do either of these, get glass. Albano hinted at it earlier, but do your lighting to minimize the amount that falls on the front panels. I actually use blanking panels to shade the front of my tank. I'm not growing corals there after all. So cleaning is really a snap. 5 minutes a week with the MM. I also designed the stand with a raised front edge that prevents me from accidentally dipping the magnet cleaner into the sand. Every couple of months I remove it and get in there with the dozer pad.

The one thing I like particularly with acrylic that has not been mentioned is the the clean, clear corners. On a well made tank, they are pristine. A thick line of silicone was always an eyesore to me, and it's almost impossible to keep it coraline free or un-tattered.

I certainly cannot speak to the longevi of my tank, only having had it for 9 months. I had a 180 last me for almost 18 years, so that's a tough standard to meet. But, we shall see.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 03:31 AM   #34
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Jesus was this while you guys were moving it? Good thing it didn't land on anyone's toes it would have taken them clean off.
Only one end/side of the panel came loose. It actually bowed out like plastic.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote