Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2014, 12:01 PM   #1
dickjonesyo
Registered Member

Red-Tail Filefish

Hi, I've had my 20g long tank for about 4 years now, recently my pink spotted watchman goby jumped ship (literally). So now I'm looking to replace him, I really want a red-tail filefish, I've googled them and have done a fair bit of research but can't get a very definitive answer on tank size, I've read a 20g long was suitable on another forum, but would like a second opinion. My tank consists of 2 black oscellaris clowns, and a green mandarin. Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

dickjonesyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2014, 01:15 PM   #2
dickjonesyo
Registered Member

I also know they are slow swimmers/max out at 4".

dickjonesyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2014, 03:44 PM   #3
syrinx
Registered Member

Thats a pretty small tank for one. They are slow swimmers to a point- but they tend to be always cruising around. Generally a 30 or 40 breeder is as small as I would go. That being said, if your tank is sparse with decoration- and you want to keep it as a specimen by itself, your tank should be able to maintain it from a fish mass/waste standpoint. I would not include it with the clowns and mandarin.

Tags
20g, filefish, fowlr, mandarin, red-tail filefish