Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2015, 03:05 PM   #26
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

In the beginning they were all made in the same factory, just rebranded is what we were hearing.

Vinny Kreyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2015, 12:48 PM   #27
knukles55
Registered Member

It all depends if your willing to branch off to something new. I have a dc6000 that's running my skimmer etss600 but plan on buying a 12000 to plumb both my returns and the skimmer as one. Currently pumps ran externally and I love it has a little hum to it but it's way better than the little giant pump noise I had going on.

knukles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2015, 01:04 PM   #28
Ontheway
Registered Member

Dc10000, running for 8 months. Speed is at 3. You can sleep next to it.

Unread 03/11/2015, 01:20 PM   #29
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
A Laguna pond pump sits on the shelf as a back up.
Funny how you have the better pump sitting on the sidelines. Who are you? Greg Popovich from the Spur's.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2015, 03:14 PM   #30
GoGo98102
Registered Member

I am not trying to attack anyone but I am so tired of all these "dead silent" claims on pumps that are anything but. I have had 8 of those DC pumps. The bigger the pump and the higher the speed, the more noise it makes. The only difference between those Jebao DC pumps and my eventual Fluval SP6 is that DC pumps emit this very high pitch whine not unlike a hybrid car running at low speed. The higher the speed, the higher the pitch. The AC pumps on the other hand, has a low vibration hum.

If your Jebao is dead silent, more power to you- either you have a miracle pump or you are generous about your noise level. I repeat- nothing is dead silent if it has moving parts. I had to replace my Jebao's due to noise reason alone. Now it's my water changing pump.

GoGo98102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2015, 03:55 PM   #31
JSimpson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post
I am not trying to attack anyone but I am so tired of all these "dead silent" claims on pumps that are anything but. I have had 8 of those DC pumps. The bigger the pump and the higher the speed, the more noise it makes. The only difference between those Jebao DC pumps and my eventual Fluval SP6 is that DC pumps emit this very high pitch whine not unlike a hybrid car running at low speed. The higher the speed, the higher the pitch. The AC pumps on the other hand, has a low vibration hum.

If your Jebao is dead silent, more power to you- either you have a miracle pump or you are generous about your noise level. I repeat- nothing is dead silent if it has moving parts. I had to replace my Jebao's due to noise reason alone. Now it's my water changing pump.
To each his own, I suppose. I notice you've been a member of this site for about 6 months, so not sure how long you've been into reefkeeping, or how it is that you've already had 8 DC pumps that have only been out about half that many years, or why it would be that other people's positive experiences seem to have ruffled your feathers so much.

I've had probably 10 or more return pumps in the 20+ years in this hobby, and by far the DC pumps are quietest I've had. Maybe some are close to being as quiet, but I can't think of a single pump that has been quieter than my current DC-6000, or the previous Speedwave 3000. I do hear a slight whine from my DC-6000 at full speed, but given that I run it at 4 of 6 speeds, I can't even tell it's running without opening the cabinet and looking at the flow through the sump to confirm.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Unread 04/03/2015, 05:48 PM   #32
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post

I've only had one, but I think you nailed it

exactly as you say, the faster it goes the louder and higher pitch the whine..

I still like the fact that it uses half the electricity of the pump it replaced and seems to put out as much water pressure too! also like the way it shuts down for feeding purposes much nicer than a ac pump.

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2015, 01:58 AM   #33
georgeyost
Registered Member

Just got my dct 6000 going great pump, super quiet, moves a rediculus amt of water, relatively small , looks like a keeper for a while,
It's on a 40 g with a 20 g sump
A bit overkill but will be in use on my next set Up

georgeyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2015, 04:54 AM   #34
vette.tech
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Funny how you have the better pump sitting on the sidelines. Who are you? Greg Popovich from the Spur's.
Hahahahaha best ever! I have nothing to add sorry

vette.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2015, 05:52 AM   #35
LauraBay
Registered Member

While I can't comment on longevity I can say that I am very happy with my DC3000 after just a few months use. Over the 20+ years I've kept SW tanks this pump is the quietest I've owned yet. Yes, there is a slight hum, but its not anything that is noticeable especially after the cabinet door is closed. I'm also happy with the small size, ability to easily control the flow and the gentle start when restarting the pump. In the past I've always found the pumps ratings to be very overstated and always bought a pump larger than recommend by the manufacturer to get the flow rate I really wanted. This pump seems to actually pump close to the volume stated. The DC3000 is kind of overkill for my 75 and I have to keep it dialed down to about 30%.

As discussed, the true test will be how it performs over time and it sounds like experiences still vary a lot but given the low price I'll be quite happy if this pump performs well for even 4-5 years. Definitely better from the jump than any of the other pumps I've used over the years.

Current Tank Info: 75 reef
LauraBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2015, 09:10 AM   #36
ClownBubbaJoe
Registered Member

Great discussion guys.

I'm setting up a 125g mixed reef, what size Jebao return pump would you suggest, and why ?

ClownBubbaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2015, 09:47 AM   #37
peder
Registered Member

I just put my new Jebao 4000 DTC out!!, running for 14 days and still have a high whine thats is verry annoying.
Been a refer for over 40 years so i have had a few ;-) back with the old Eheim.

peder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2015, 05:17 PM   #38
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownBubbaJoe View Post
Great discussion guys.

I'm setting up a 125g mixed reef, what size Jebao return pump would you suggest, and why ?
I run the dc6000 on a 75g and run it at it's highest level. I have over 5 ft of head pressure. I think your choice depends on the head pressure you have but if it were me I wouldn't do less than the 12000....you can always go bigger and turn it down but if it's not enough on high...then you're screwed....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2015, 07:44 PM   #39
ClownBubbaJoe
Registered Member

I'm sure seeing a lot of mixed reviews. Hate or love.........

ClownBubbaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2015, 11:21 PM   #40
cy93
Registered Member

I think it has something to to with the head pressure. The more the head pressure, the more the high pitched motor sound which is only slightly audible but still comparatively less than my vortechs. I have been using the Jebao 12000 for a year + with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

cy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 08:08 AM   #41
kaoscoder
Registered Member

I can hear a high pitch whine on my DC6000, especially at higher speeds. It's not loud enough to bother me. With the cabinet door closed, I don't hear it at all.

I've had the pump for over a year now, still works great. Since they're so inexpensive, I bought a backup DC6000 in case of failure. That's true of any brand return pump: it's good to have a backup pump ready to go, just in case.

kaoscoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2015, 05:03 PM   #42
lushuk
Registered Member

I can hear noise from my DC6000, its 6 months old and losing power, ive been told it needs a new motor, shame as i like the pump and features

lushuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2015, 06:32 PM   #43
postie1686
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushuk View Post
I can hear noise from my DC6000, its 6 months old and losing power, ive been told it needs a new motor, shame as i like the pump and features
im no expert when it comes to these motors. But we have beenusing brushless motors in my other hobby for years. if we have one thats losing power its typically due to the rotor losing magnatizum. there really is nothing else that could do bad in the pump to cause power loss other then a bearing/bushing seizing up.

On that note! i had a dc12,000 that i had ran for about 7 months! the pump was great never a issue. when i first hooked it up it was a little loud... then i changed how it was plumbed. i put flexible tubing from the pump to my manifold... after that the pump was as close to silent as i think a motor can get! i liked my pump so much i bought the new dct6000 for my newbuild and i will say the improvments to the rotor shaft and the way the impeller housing comes apart is much better!

postie1686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2015, 01:30 PM   #44
Camps23
Registered Member

Looking to add either the dc3000 or the dct4000 as my return on a 70g with 30g sump. Any suggestions on which. Leaning towards the 4000 as its only 10$ more but need I to be relatively quiet.

Unread 04/22/2015, 01:45 PM   #45
bryanr
Registered Member

I'm looking at getting the DCT12000 for a 240 and the DCT8000 for my 180. I saw a DC9000 on a tank and it was VERY quiet. I'm wondering about this high pitch whine folks are talking about. is it on the old DC or the new DCT model (or both)?

bryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2015, 03:04 PM   #46
postie1686
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanr View Post
I'm looking at getting the DCT12000 for a 240 and the DCT8000 for my 180. I saw a DC9000 on a tank and it was VERY quiet. I'm wondering about this high pitch whine folks are talking about. is it on the old DC or the new DCT model (or both)?
I've now owed 2 pumps. And I have 2 buddies who both also use them. None of us have ever had a issue or a high pitch whine.

postie1686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 03:00 PM   #47
bryanr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie1686 View Post
I've now owed 2 pumps. And I have 2 buddies who both also use them. None of us have ever had a issue or a high pitch whine.
Good to know. Will be ordering mine shortly...but they won't be used for a few months while we move.

bryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 05:44 PM   #48
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanr View Post
Good to know. Will be ordering mine shortly...but they won't be used for a few months while we move.
I would not buy until your ready to install. your warranty will be with it sitting in a box for months

ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 06:45 PM   #49
lushuk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie1686 View Post
im no expert when it comes to these motors. But we have beenusing brushless motors in my other hobby for years. if we have one thats losing power its typically due to the rotor losing magnatizum. there really is nothing else that could do bad in the pump to cause power loss other then a bearing/bushing seizing up.

On that note! i had a dc12,000 that i had ran for about 7 months! the pump was great never a issue. when i first hooked it up it was a little loud... then i changed how it was plumbed. i put flexible tubing from the pump to my manifold... after that the pump was as close to silent as i think a motor can get! i liked my pump so much i bought the new dct6000 for my newbuild and i will say the improvments to the rotor shaft and the way the impeller housing comes apart is much better!
Interesting Postie!

lushuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 10:47 AM   #50
Wesus
Registered Member

I owned dc-6000 and 3000. Both lasted about 7 months.

Wesus is offline   Reply With Quote