Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2017, 01:57 PM   #26
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've hit the 4 year mark (well, almost) with my 265 and a combination of skill and dumb luck has left me with a tank that is desperately in need of a major pruning. I just figure if I'm going to have to pull out a bunch of major colonies I might as well just get a bigger tank at the same time. Makes perfect sense to me

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 03:14 PM   #27
tkeracer619
Registered Member

You can send some sps to me if you want

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 03:41 PM   #28
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I've hit the 4 year mark (well, almost) with my 265 and a combination of skill and dumb luck has left me with a tank that is desperately in need of a major pruning. I just figure if I'm going to have to pull out a bunch of major colonies I might as well just get a bigger tank at the same time. Makes perfect sense to me
Perfectly logical.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 05:15 PM   #29
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Scott. Would you view 3/4" as too thin for a 96x36x30 tank? Thinking I might ask them to go 1".
Yes.. At least for the 96x30 panels. Those are big panels and will most certainly deflect if they are only 3/4" thick IMO. A friend had a 96x48x30 and it was 3/4" and it deflected. Granted it was 48 instead of 36" but your are talking a very big panel. I'd go at least 1" and frankly if it were me personally, I wouldn't go less than 1.25" for the front back and top panels. My biggest panels are 96x24" and I went with 1.25 for that very reason. You can go less on the sides and bottom but you're much better off going with the thicker material on the front, back and top panels and if you can afford 1" for the rest, that would be my advice as the sides are going to be seam surfaces. If you build it right, the tank will last forever. If you cut corners, it will deflect and kraze. Regardless, I wouldn't go less than 1" on your tank and ideally 1.25" on the bigger panels. 96x30" is a big panel and there will be a lot of pressure in the tank pushing outward. If you're going to do it, do it right. 3/4" is way too thin for that size IMO.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 04/20/2017 at 05:37 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 06:26 PM   #30
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
My 480 gallon main display (96x48x24 tall) is coming up on 24 years old. I have absoltely no deflection/bowing or crazing. . . My tank was built out of 1.25" acrylic and it's held up beautifully and is in excellent condition to this day. . .
What he said. Having built a couple big tanks you should expect a little bowing (~1/4" to 1/2" side to side in center) when full if you use 1"

Unread 04/20/2017, 07:08 PM   #31
Vio
Registered Member

i got 300 Gal. (72 x 34 x 31 ) is 1" thick , 90 Gal. refuge 60 gal. swamp all Acrylic. If i was you i will got MAX. height 28" , pain to clean , no matter Acrylic or Glass , never like sand , so i run BB most of the time , i use to have glass tanks got scratch also , not sure if you can remove at easy Acrylic. Not to mention how "pure" SPS look on Acrylic compare with any Glass. I clean by using one special sponge for Acrylic , manual, i give up one magnet, i got more control , not to mention how easy you drill, i mod. my overflow i make it one side , in stand back, in my opinion is more efficient , remove Detritus a way faster ( in special when run Gyro pumps). Now C/P

" Acrylic aquariums are 17x stronger, softer and more flexible than glass.

In addition, they are more impact resistant, weigh 50% less and are not prone to chip or crack.

Acrylic aquariums offer better insulation than glass aquariums, reducing temperature flux and improving the quality of life for your fish.

Acrylic fish tanks are as clear as optical glass (at 93% transparency) and don't add a green tint. "

Vio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 10:09 PM   #32
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

The thicker the Acrylic the harder for you to attach power head I just set up a 96x36x24 3/4" Acrylic and both tunze 6105 I have to buy we xtrab strong magnet additional 90 I have to sell both of my mp40wd cause it won't stick. The only pump that stick is the gyre xf250 so far so good luck if u go to 1"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 10:54 PM   #33
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio View Post
i use to have glass tanks got scratch also , not sure if you can remove at easy Acrylic.
It's easy to remove scratches from acrylic tanks. I documented each step of the process with pictures and video. You can remove the scratches from inside the tank and make it look virtually new while it's full with some elbow grease and the correct sanding pads and a good magnet scrubber.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2538092

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 04/21/2017, 06:26 AM   #34
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
i got 300 Gal. (72 x 34 x 31 ) is 1" thick , 90 Gal. refuge 60 gal. swamp all Acrylic. If i was you i will got MAX. height 28" , pain to clean , no matter Acrylic or Glass.
Don't disagree, however, my current tank is 30" tall and I have come to appreciate the extra height and accept the difficulties in access.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 04/21/2017, 07:42 AM   #35
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
The thicker the Acrylic the harder for you to attach power head I just set up a 96x36x24 3/4" Acrylic and both tunze 6105 I have to buy we xtrab strong magnet additional 90 I have to sell both of my mp40wd cause it won't stick. The only pump that stick is the gyre xf250 so far so good luck if u go to 1"
I wouldn't expect the MP40 would 'stick' with 1", but it's rated for 3/4". Are you saying yours did not work for 3/4"?

Unread 04/21/2017, 08:23 AM   #36
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Nope I have to secure the power cord so the weight of the magnet don't slide down. If u just attach the magnet to the wet side the power head will fell out when running

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 09:39 AM   #37
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Don't disagree, however, my current tank is 30" tall and I have come to appreciate the extra height and accept the difficulties in access.
I agree. If I could do my tank over again, I would go 30 but the cost difference between the 24" tall and 30" tall tank was/is huge because you end up needing 2 additional sheets of acrylic since the sheets are normally 48" wide. That ultimately was a deciding factor for me when I built my tank. At that point, you are almost better off going with a 96"x48"x30" tank because the material costs are about the same. If you have the space, you should give that some serious thought. The cost difference may be negligible or even a 96x48x24. That might even save you some money while giving you a bigger footprint.

Unread 04/21/2017, 10:08 AM   #38
Jazeel55
Registered Member

I am also looking to get a acrylic tank. 84x40x30 am putting mines in basement concrete so weight won't be a problem. There is a builder in linden NJ but they act too busy to build for the public. I reached out to acrylic creation is pa. Prices weren't too bad there's a spot I. Florida call fish tank direct they can build any size tank there prices are good. They might sell that size you want which will make it cheaper. Plus free freight shipping.

Jazeel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 12:30 PM   #39
biecacka
Registered Member

As scott said, acrylic is the way. Yes it scratches, but can be removed. They also are much clearer to look through. I have a 48/48/24 acrylic tank that me and 1 other guy carried into and it it on the stand.......

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 12:32 PM   #40
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I agree. If I could do my tank over again, I would go 30 but the cost difference between the 24" tall and 30" tall tank was/is huge because you end up needing 2 additional sheets of acrylic since the sheets are normally 48" wide. That ultimately was a deciding factor for me when I built my tank. At that point, you are almost better off going with a 96"x48"x30" tank because the material costs are about the same. If you have the space, you should give that some serious thought. The cost difference may be negligible or even a 96x48x24. That might even save you some money while giving you a bigger footprint.
I have a dedicated fish room for the mechanicals, but the display goes into the FR. 36" is already pushing it.

Unread 04/21/2017, 12:33 PM   #41
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazeel55 View Post
Florida call fish tank direct they can build any size tank there prices are good. They might sell that size you want which will make it cheaper. Plus free freight shipping.
Yeah, that's who I'm looking at (thanks to Albano).

Unread 04/21/2017, 01:06 PM   #42
Brunzy
Registered Member

When you get a quote from them would you mind sending me a pm with a rough idea for a price? I love the dimensions you chose!

Brunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 01:19 PM   #43
lagatbezan
Registered Member

After my first 180g acrylic tank I promised myself I would never get another one, but just like most resolutions that didn't stick and I got myself a 300g 96*24*30H one and honestly I'm glad I went acrylic instead of glass. Having little kids in the house where toys go flying... sometimes big heavy toys LOL, its lighter weight and ease of modification was the decision maker for me.
<---my 300g pic
Like others said, key is to be extremely easy with it when you clean it and clean it frequently so there is less buildup. I use a new magic eraser pad between my mags every time I use it and go really slow. but regardless of how careful you are, scratches just magically tend to show up somehow lol.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 01:54 PM   #44
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

So, one of the things I am planning on doing is to have a LOT of swimming room and not actually place any light-requiring animals within 12" of the front pane. I'll set my lights up so that the majority of it falls on the rear 24" of depth. Hoping this will dramatically reduce any algae growth on the front pane. I've got a vlamingi tang that desperately needs more space.

Unread 04/21/2017, 03:25 PM   #45
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
Like others said, key is to be extremely easy with it when you clean it and clean it frequently so there is less buildup. I use a new magic eraser pad between my mags every time I use it and go really slow...
The magic eraser is good, but for quick clean ups I recommend getting the acrylic mesh cover for your magnets https://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=1685
They work great and greatly reduce the chances of sand scratches...
Another suggestion is to NEVER leave the magnet cleaner on the tank...kids and visitors love to 'help' you and will absolutely run the magnet down into the sand bed!
Simon, on my 8' 450g DT I had the rock work about a foot back and my front row of lights angled away from the front pane, and rarely had coraline algae growing there.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 06:08 PM   #46
Vio
Registered Member

Quote:
I wouldn't expect the MP40 would 'stick' with 1", but it's rated for 3/4". Are you saying yours did not work for 3/4"?
I make my self (1/4" Acrylic bracket) i use on my 300 Gal. 1" , i got 2 MP 40 and Max Giro 380 ,it work even 2" thick.

Vio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 08:52 PM   #47
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
I make my self (1/4" Acrylic bracket) i use on my 300 Gal. 1" , i got 2 MP 40 and Max Giro 380 ,it work even 2" thick.
Pls explain. Don't see how this would work with the Vortech MP40 since the dryside must, by definition, remain dry?

Unread 04/22/2017, 12:44 AM   #48
WLachnit
Registered Member

Large Acrylic Tanks

I see that you have already received a lot of feedback, but Here is my $0.02: I have had both a 300g 96x 24w x 30h in acrylic and I just replaced it over the past year with a starfire glass tank in the same dimensions. The reasons for switching from acrylic to glass are the usual. I was tired of the scratching. I found that to be inevitable no matter how careful I was. Although I am probably not as diligent as some here on RC. My acrylic tank had small opening openings at the top and that was frustrating because it made it hard to access the inside when needed. There were other reasons that I replaced the tank, but those were irrelevant to the glass vs acrylic. Because it is starfire, I do not notice the difference in clarity. So far I am really glad I made the switch albeit it was more expensive and I learned that glass is much less forgiving when placed on the stand. It has to be dead level and planar.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 12:52 AM   #49
WLachnit
Registered Member

Given some of the other posts about the logistics of moving a heavy glass tank, this was concern for me too. But I solved it by getting a bunch of my daughter's high school friends to help.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 08:29 AM   #50
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I thought of that also, but my sons and their friends aren't yet old enough to be very helpful (14 year olds).