Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2021, 12:30 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

In praise of smaller species...

The bigger species tend to be better-known and more buzzed-about, but they also require bigger tanks than most people can manage.

I have a big-ish tank, but honestly, I have a strong affection for the little guys for whom I can supply a section of reef that affords them about as much space as they'd claim in the wild. And they go about their fishy business interacting with each other. You can have *more* species, quite colorful species, and fairly resilient species many of which can be captive-bred, meaning no impact on the reefs of the world, plus less stress, plus less exposure to parasites like ich, and for some sand-hugging species, more inbuilt resistance to parasites. So for many reasons, they have their advantages.

My own favorites are the blennies and gobies, small, colorful and quirky. You DO have to become aware of species that don't get along---but those of us who keep them know, and we'll answer questions. Many burrow and clean sand, one (the diamond goby) to excess, but most are moderate and good neighbors, if grumpy. Some have algae requirements: they'll starve without it, so keep that in mind (the combtooth blennies). These two classes get along well with most tankmates.
[Dragonets (mandys, scooters, etc) are called blennies and gobies, but they aren't, and keep them off your list---unless you have a huge mature tank and no wrasses, no emerald crabs. ]

Damsels come in three varieties. 1. clowns. Everybody loves a clown. And they're great---I have a pair myself. BUT the 2 biggest types, the clarkii and the maroon in all variations---are NOT well-behaved and require a bigger tank. The clarkiis have teeth and will bite. And draw blood. From you. When they go into mating mode, no intruder is safe. 2. chromis (there can only be one)---sure, the fish store has a dozen. I can pretty well predict that only one will survive in your tank, because they do each other in once the first claims territory. But they are GREAT at providing the busy movement ('dither') that assures your more timid (smarter) fish it's safe to come out of hiding. 3. regular damsels---some grow to 8" in size, and some don't. The little azures, the yellowtails, and even the Fiji blue devils, can be fairly good dither fishes, themselves. But damsels in generate HATE chromis, and a big damsel will kill them on sight. Keep that in mind. Also bear in mind that big damsels will kill anything they didn't grow up with. Big damsels are not a good small-tank fish.

Assessors, gramma, chalk bass---stay smallish and are reasonably behaved, and they are colorful.

The little jawfish are homebodies that can be entertaining --- but they're more fragile and do require sand that supports several inches of tunneling.

1 dwarf angel can be a good citizen but may nip coral. Do your homework on that.

Fairy wrasses are a neat fish and stay small. Many wrasses grow LARGE and will not be appropriate.

Rabbitfish are venomous and can do you hurt. They also grow fast and once they get big, they go freaky and start harming other fish. I've seen the result of a rabbit-sting, and I'm not sure if the victim was able to save the finger. If you have a weed problem, they are not your best answer. Consult the 'algae' post up top of this forum.

Cleaner shrimp and cleaner gobies are not essential to a tank and can actually harm fish if there's no way to get away from them. If you want a suitably crazy shrimp that will not bother your fish, I recommend peppermints. They bother things, but grow bored quickly.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 01/21/2021 at 03:14 PM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2021, 08:43 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

My 120DT has all of 7 or 8 fish, the biggest a Tomini Tang. IMHO, unless a truly large tank, big fish looked out of place.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2021, 05:16 PM   #3
Magik
Registered Member

I used to have a tank like that and I loved that! The one problem I ran into was with yellow clown gobi, I was first feeding all Rod's food and everything was OK. But then I transitioned to PE mysis, which apparently where too big for this little guy and I sadly lost him.

what is the best food for little gobies like that? chopping mysis manually seemed not to help that much

Magik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Copepods if you can get them frozen. Formula One frozen usually has edible chaff associated with it; and if all else fails, don't disdain flake Formula One mushed up really fine. It's got the right nutrients, just not as appetizing.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 01/27/2021, 05:29 PM   #5
Magik
Registered Member

Thanks!

And what smaller fish do you recommend for algae control?

Unread 01/27/2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

For algae control I recommend a phosphate test, analysis of what algae you have (some need other treatment) and a course of GFO (Phosban, et al). Algae is a water issue. The problem with letting fish control it is that they poo the phosphate right back into the water to grow more algae. If you have the misfortune to have caulerpa weed, that's more serious, and I can also tell you steps to take. A controlled little bit of green algae is perfectly fine---and combtooth blennies are good with that and with film algae.

Unread 01/27/2021, 06:13 PM   #7
taillonjohn
Registered Member

the yellow clown goby also likes can o cyclops if you can find it, other fish love it too. Its fresher than frozen so i guess might taste better, but it spoils quick and i throw most if it out.

Mr. sk8r if you looking to impart your wisdom on algae fighting i do enjoy reading your many posts, looking for info on fighting green and red hair algae

Last edited by taillonjohn; 01/27/2021 at 06:40 PM.
taillonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2021, 06:15 PM   #8
Magik
Registered Member

No, I do not have anything particularly nasty - just bits of annoying green hair algae or more brownish things occasionally. My phosphates were 0, still got it. also I am keeping lps mostly, with water too clean (vodka dosing), I was getting dinos and other problems. I got also red slime often, but I understand it is flow problem. Got extra vortech pump, which is great except I cannot redirect the flow toward bottom, where the problem occurs.

Unread 01/27/2021, 08:55 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

The one nasty trick of hair algae is that your phosphate test will read zero because all the phosphate is bound up in a bumper crop of algae. If it's really bad, running GFO in a reactor (the socks are useless in a tank larger than a nano-nano) will help, but you have to keep changing the medium. If it can/t be stopped, various things have to be tried, from better skimmer and water changes to (if it turns out to be bryopsis) a chemical cure.

Re 'red hair' if it is slimy and not really able to be pulled off in the hand as anything but mush, that'ws likely not algae but cyanobacteria---the post on algae atop- this forum has a cure for that.