Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2018, 02:42 PM   #1
duganderson
Registered Member

Most powerful electic or batter powered gravel vac/cleanrer???

Curious if any of the electric or battery powered gravel cleaners have enough power to be valuable. Which one do you like best?

Anyone used the
https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Automa.../dp/B07K6CSY9P

I like how you can divert water back to the tank OR divert water to a bucket to allow easy cleanings between water changes

duganderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 02:57 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Got sand?
If so forget about it

Those work well for freshwater gravel but are just junk for sand setups from my experience.. If its long enough gravity will eventually take over but quite often those just suck all the sand right out of your tank and are just a PITA..
Then its a "pick the right filter to allow crap through but block sand" and its just a mess..

I let natures animals take care of my sand..

Unread 12/06/2018, 03:24 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

The issue you have is the same as old vac's for the home. The motor sits in the middle between the surface to be cleaned and the dirt exit. You suck stuff into the motor fan. Some newer vacs have the motor after the bag/filter. Look at spa pool vacs if you want a lot of power. Some are electric and some work on the garden hose principal. ( forcing water into it and out thru a sock. It works by forcing a siphon to occur. You can make your own out of a some pvc, a powerhead and a sock.
Something similar to this
http://www.poolsupplymall.com/spa-cl...-hose-adapter/

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 06:14 PM   #4
jrill
Registered Member

Check out harbour freight

jrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 11:27 PM   #5
Natereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
Curious if any of the electric or battery powered gravel cleaners have enough power to be valuable. Which one do you like best?

Anyone used the
https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Automa.../dp/B07K6CSY9P

I like how you can divert water back to the tank OR divert water to a bucket to allow easy cleanings between water changes
I bought this one and used it in my 12 gallon jbj https://www.amazon.com/Koller-Produc...gravel+cleaner

It barely even has enough power to suck water up if you have it fully extended.

Natereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 10:28 AM   #6
capecodder
Registered Member

Anyone ever tried just a plain old wet vac? Never have myself, just curious. Those things suck up water and rocks off a basement floor.

capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 12:00 PM   #7
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

wet dry vac sounds like a nightmare to me. They don't pull that much vacuum pressure, so likely would be a pain to start the siphon, then with such a large hose would siphon at a huge flowrate, quickly filling up the dryvac with water, sand, rock, fish, or anything else that gets in the way.

Personally, I just use a bit of 1/2" or 5/8" tubing and siphon into a filter bag. I use a 100 micron mesh bag and it works great. I do end up sucking up alot of sand when trying to get the big stuff off the sandbed, but it all collects in the bag, then I dump it in a bucket, and give the old rinse-drain-repeat method a few times and put the sand back in the tank. Easy peasy. Clean my whole 150 gallon in maybe 20 minutes with no tools other than a bucket, a bag, a hose, and a basement sink. Do it about once a month if needed.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 12:02 PM   #8
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

I use my old magnum canister filter and attach a python hose with one of those really wide wands. Even with the wide wand I have to valve down the flow to avoid sucking up sand. Also helps if you have an extra filter as you have to wash the gunk out.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 12:04 PM   #9
reefwiser
Registered Member

Yes, a canister filter is the best I have one just of bottom cleaning of the aquarium.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote