Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Haole
Registered Member

Hydrofoamer pump question

I see these pumps being used and attached to skimmers in what you could say as a vertical position. Example, like where the intake is at the bottom and the output is to the side, making the impeller oriented in the vertical position.
Can these pumps be used in the lateral position where the intake is to the side and the output is facing up?
Would this cause premature wear and tear on the impeller being oriented in a lateral position?

Unread 12/26/2017, 09:44 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

They can be used that way as long as fully submerged.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Haole
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!
I recently acquired a used ASM G1 skimmer, and plan to make the modifications to it to run as a recirculating set up with the flow through it being supplied by a tee and valve on the overflow going to the sump.
Would the Hydrofoamer Silence 9410.04 be considered a good match for this size skimmer?

Unread 12/26/2017, 02:05 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

That I don't know, if you know the specs for the pump it uses, I would compare them, if they are close it should work. Our pumps are not designed for recirculating use so it will be difficult to attach an intake to the pump, the intake fitting is a molded cone with no thread and not a standard pipe size.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 12/26/2017, 02:44 PM   #5
Haole
Registered Member

I figured since I plan to use it as a recirculating pump i compared the rough sizes of the two skimmers in general. Seems to me that the 9410 and the G1 are roughly close to the same size of contact chamber. I’m trying to read through all the chatter about ASM skimmers and what pumps people have used on them... it’s a lot lol
Based on my own “guestimations” I already have the pump on order so until I actually have it in my hands will I be able to figure out how I will attach it to the skimmer.
Maybe some size of vinyl tubing will be able to fit over the intake portion of the pump that I can use to get it to fit up with the skimmer body.
Thanks again for your responses!

Unread 12/27/2017, 08:49 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Vinyl tubing would be the best way I can think of.