Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2007, 10:20 PM   #1
esc.nuk3r
Registered Member

Question how do you mix and dose kalkwasser?

how do you mix and dose kalkwasser? the easy and cheap way lol

Quote from: jht129:I have a website, and if unauthorized people try to get into a restricted part of the site, I would like to make a webpage that has a virus embedded into it so that when they access the restricted webpage, the virus spreads to their system.

Current Tank Info: under construction
esc.nuk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2007, 10:22 PM   #2
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Why do you think you need to dose kalk?

A 29 gal tank with PC lighting I would assume isn't overloaded with SPS's.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2007, 10:25 PM   #3
esc.nuk3r
Registered Member

Quote from: jht129:I have a website, and if unauthorized people try to get into a restricted part of the site, I would like to make a webpage that has a virus embedded into it so that when they access the restricted webpage, the virus spreads to their system.

Unread 06/17/2007, 10:29 PM   #4
mlivvy
em-lee-vee

you should be fine with a 2-part.
kalk is messy, and a hassle. You'll get better results with bionic. imho.

mlivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2007, 10:31 PM   #5
esc.nuk3r
Registered Member

but i bought it all ready.

Unread 06/17/2007, 10:33 PM   #6
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Once again. Why do you think you need to dose kalk?

Unread 06/17/2007, 11:03 PM   #7
ek9vboi
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by coralfragger101
Once again. Why do you think you need to dose kalk?
Why not?

In the LONG run it will be cheaper then the 2 part. Just be sure you Alk and Calcium levels are in check before you start. If they are then use the kalkwasser mix as ur make up water for any water that is loss through evaporation. Plus if you have a low pH problem or want you pH to be high at night time, kalkwasser is the way to go. This is what I currently use/do to my tank and my pH as well as alk/calc levels are all in check.

How I set mine up:
-Mix 3/4 teaspoon of kalkwasser into 1 gallon on ro/di.
-Let it sit overnight or 2
-Use some airline tubing and tie a knot in it to restrict flow and slowly drip it into my sump/high flow area

Some tips:
-Mix less kalkwasser per gallon when u 1st start off
-Drip it at night time
-Mix 1g a time to prevent overdosing (even if the whole 1g goes in, it won't be too much to kill everything)
-Buy a dosing pump

I'm currently using one of those pumps I am selling and use it at night time only to make up for any water that was evaporated during the day time. the amount varies but i kind of have to guesstimate, but i would say around 1g or less per day. The pump is a constant flow of the same amount, so it is safe to assure that i can't ACCIDENTALLY drip the whole gallon within 30 mins. which might cause a huge pH spike.

Any questions PM me. Check out the chemistry section for lots of good info.

ek9vboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2007, 11:10 PM   #8
ek9vboi
Registered Member.

Oh yeah, instead of pouring in just freshwater to make up for evaporation, you can use kalkwasser because it replemishes/keeps the alk/calc levels in check. regular freshwater can lower your alk/calc levels.

Unread 06/17/2007, 11:28 PM   #9
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

If this is a predominately softie tank, I highly doubt that there is even a need to dose kalk. Hence, my question of why he thinks he needs to dose kalk.

Calcium/Alk/PH levels can certainly be maintained within reason without the use of kalk or two part for that matter for a softie tank.

Weekly water changes with a quality salt is the basics. A fuge with the lights run opposite of your day time will help with the PH swings.

Once again, Why do you think you need to dose kalk?

Unread 06/17/2007, 11:39 PM   #10
esc.nuk3r
Registered Member

all the reason not 2

Unread 06/18/2007, 12:03 AM   #11
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Exactly my point unless I'm missing something or misunderstanting something.

Unread 06/18/2007, 03:43 AM   #12
bckane
Premium Member

Re: how do you mix and dose kalkwasser?

Quote:
Originally posted by esc.nuk3r
how do you mix and dose kalkwasser? the easy and cheap way lol
Dude the best way to mix and add Kalk is with a reactor.....I run a reactor with a float switch and a doser....add 2 lbs of Kalk at a time and dont have to add more for months.......its like they say set it and forget it
Hope this helps
Brian

bckane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2007, 08:21 AM   #13
ek9vboi
Registered Member.

The draw back on the reactor is that the float valve can get stuck and overdose the tank. Also depending on what pump you use the float valve it can pump in too much within a certain amount of time.

Start dosing kalkwasser, it made a big difference for my tank. Many people will agree.

Unread 06/18/2007, 08:55 AM   #14
bckane
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ek9vboi
The draw back on the reactor is that the float valve can get stuck and overdose the tank. Also depending on what pump you use the float valve it can pump in too much within a certain amount of time.

Start dosing kalkwasser, it made a big difference for my tank. Many people will agree.
On mine if the float valve ever gets stuck the doser will only pump one gallon in 24 hours. I check mine on on a regular basis.......most people install 2 float valve anyway

bckane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2007, 04:43 PM   #15
45commando
Registered Member

To answer the original question,you can mix kalk in a 5 gallon bucket using good quality water.I would add only a tea spoon of kalk per gallon to start.Mix it using a small volume pump & keep the lid on the bucket.The idea is to prevent as little Co2 as possible getting into the mixture.After a few hours,remove pump & let it sit for a day or 2.Then siphon off the clear liquid into whatever dosing system you plan to use.This could be a simple IV drip system for example.I have just recently added a kalk reactor & automated my top off sytem,but have been dosing kalk since basically day one.One of the often missed benefits of using kalk,is that it will pull phosphates out of solution,as well as the other benefits.HTH.

Current Tank Info: 92G Corner tank, 250 wt 14K MH, 20G sump, 5G fuge, mixed reef
45commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2007, 05:15 PM   #16
esc.nuk3r
Registered Member

THANK YOU, 45cammando and bckane, ek9vboi, for giving the answer. thats what i was looking for

Unread 06/18/2007, 05:44 PM   #17
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

I'm glad you got the answer you were looking for however, I never received mine.

I was not attempting to be crude or rude or anything of the sort last night nor am I now.

There are hundreds if not thousands of gadgets and supplements that can be purchased for this hobby. Some work - some don't. Some are needed - some are not. The equipment needed will depend on what you want to have in your tank. Supplements needed will depend on what you have in your tank and the rate those ions are depleted.

When I got into this hobby I was the first one to buy every gadget or supplement that anyone told me I needed. I now have a lot of "junk" that I need to sell.

Sometimes the KISS method is a better approach.

I apologize if for some reason you thought that I was being rude when I was merely attempting to figure out if you even need to dose kalk.

Unread 06/18/2007, 06:21 PM   #18
esc.nuk3r
Registered Member

coralfragger101 i felt like you came very rude to my approach on my question, i didnt like the way u kelp saying again and again , and being argent, but i am not 10 years old and tell my mommy. just there people out there like that and we have to deal with that. buts its kool thats why i didnt put your name. thank you for apologizing shows that your a honest person

Unread 06/18/2007, 07:37 PM   #19
ek9vboi
Registered Member.

I am a person who likes to keep things KISS as well.

The more simple a set up is, the less of a chance your tank will crash or something bad happening.

Try to gravity feel the kalkwasser mix and not so much depend on a pump.

Unread 06/18/2007, 08:22 PM   #20
esc.nuk3r
Registered Member

i was going to mix 1 gal in a milk carton and then suck out the middle and dose it in a other milk carton connect to a dose valve

Unread 06/18/2007, 08:32 PM   #21
ek9vboi
Registered Member.

If I get a chance I will post up my set up that I am currently running. Its pretty simple, but there are ways of improving it, which I am too lazy to do. lol