Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2010, 06:15 PM   #1
killab443
Registered Member

DIY "Drews Doser" Peristaltic Dosing pump

DIY "Drews Doser" Peristaltic Dosing pump

As many of you know, Bulk reef supply hasn't really been able to keep stock on these excellent pumps. Not only that but at almost 90 a pop they aren't too appealing for everyone's wallets. I went ahead and outsourced to where these pumps are made and discovered a set can be had for cheaper then 90 a pump. APT Technology is the manufacture of these pumps and they offer them in there online store, right on there site. However they sell just the pump so it will need wired and mounted in a project box.

I went ahead and called APT and found the pump I needed to dose 1.5ML/m. The beautiful thing about getting the pump direct from them is that you can buy a pump that is specific for your needs. Rather then only being able to dose 1.5ml/m. They have an assortment of options for these pumps to pump anywhere from 5.6ml/per minute to .05ml/per minute. This is done by changing the size of the internal tubing and/or the rpm of the motor

After speaking with Larry at APT I discovered I'd need an 8RPM pump with 3mm Norprene tubing to pump 1.5ml/m. Total price per pump is $67. This isn't with shipping of course.

The part number for the pump was SP101.126
The good thing about this pump is it uses the 3mm tubing inside and the output barbs work perfectly with standard airline tubing. Let this be a precaution when ordering your pumps as you will need adapters if you use lower then 3mm tubing inside the pump. (for different dosing rates)

After receiving the pumps I went ahead and picked up a project box at Radioshack to mount both pumps in it. You can choose to mount the pumps in separate enclosers but I decided one project box for both would make a nice clean install. It was $4.50 for the bigger project box

I went over to the dollar store and picked up 2 extension cords for $1.50/each

So to sum up the prices of everything.
2 - 8 RPM 3mm Norprene 115VAC Pumps $67/Each plus shipping I think was$8
2 - 6Ft extension cords $1.50/each
1 - Project Box $4.50
Various screws I had laying around
Total Cost: $141 + $8 For shipping
So for around $150 total I have 2 well built dosing pumps. I saved over $40 and used a little of my time.

Most people will hook these up to digital timers to dose automatically. I decided to hook this up to my Aquacontroller Jr. Which is smarter then buying 2 digital timers, for me at least.

Now with all my materials I went ahead and put the pumps together. Pretty much self explanatory here. The trickiest part is mounting the pumps to the project box cover. I didn't have a camera so unfortunately I couldn't take pics of the actual process. The needle roller head needs to be removed from the motor that drives it. This is very simply, there's only 2 screws that hold it in.
After mounting the pumps to the cover go ahead and wire them up. Cut both extension cords to length and wire them into the project box. Wire each pump individually to the extension cords. Solder the connections and wrap with heatshrink or electrical tape.

I wish I could have been a little more in depth with how to mount the pumps to the cover. But if your handy you'll do just fine. Any questions PM me please. I did find a camera to take a final shot of it all complete.

http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062282

ENJOY

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump1.JPG (63.8 KB, 2941 views)
File Type: jpg pump2.JPG (53.0 KB, 2002 views)
File Type: jpg pump3.JPG (60.9 KB, 2347 views)

Last edited by killab443; 01/11/2010 at 06:42 PM.
killab443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 06:28 PM   #2
hyperfocal
Registered Member

Excellent, excellent info. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: getting back into the hobby
hyperfocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 08:00 PM   #3
DFason
Registered Member

Funny, I just bought two used one for 90$ total!

Current Tank Info: 35g Shallow Reef Build/iTech 100/Tunze Osmolator/MP20/Sunpower
DFason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 08:03 PM   #4
killab443
Registered Member

Ha, funny I looked for a set for so long and finally gave up lol. At least mine is new! lol 90 is a great deal for 2.

Unread 01/11/2010, 10:18 PM   #5
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing, I have been thinking about doing a DIY dosing pump for a long time as well. That's a nice solid writeup of your work too. So it sort of pains me to say, a pump that looks mysteriously similar to Drew's Doser is being sold by BRS on ebay for $40 + free shipping, with "more than 10 available".

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-mL-minute-Per...item3a5654d29c

great work though, DIY has a way of feeling better even if it ends up costing more $

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2010, 06:35 AM   #6
killab443
Registered Member

I swear I have seen so many deals for pumps since I purchased mine. Where were they when I was looking for my set! lol. what sucks is BRS sells that pump on there site for 90 if its not that pump it sure is veeeeery similar

Unread 01/12/2010, 07:05 AM   #7
derek4real
Registered Member

This is much better than the one I tried to make out of timer.

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/rsetteur/a...dex_doseer.htm

I also tried to speed up the timer. I recall seeing a mod for a timer to be used on a Modded MJ1200 to make it turn on/off at faster intervals. 1 revolution was 60 seconds.

I tried to combine these mods together and was not successfull. maybe someone with a high level of DIY skills can do it right.

derek4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2010, 07:29 AM   #8
sedor
Registered Member

Nice tip. Could we get some pictures of how to wire the extension cord in? I know its basic, but i'm a total electrical noob and i've always wondered how you DIY-ers do it!

Unread 01/12/2010, 07:40 AM   #9
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Anyone have info on how these stack up in terms of reliability or sturdiness to conventional peristaltic pumps? i.e. a Masterflex?

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2010, 11:21 AM   #10
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedor View Post
Nice tip. Could we get some pictures of how to wire the extension cord in? I know its basic, but i'm a total electrical noob and i've always wondered how you DIY-ers do it!
You simply connect the two wires from the extension cord to the two wires that come out of the motor. AC is alternating current so in this application there is no polarity. You just hook them up and are good to go. Wire nuts are an easy choice. I prefer solder and heat shrink tubing.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2010, 11:30 AM   #11
killab443
Registered Member

I'll get some pics up a little later. Also heatshrink was kind of out because the gauge of the extension cord is a lot thicker then what comes out of the pump. I soldered the connection and used electrical tape. I normally wrap each connection individually then go ahead and wrap them both together.

Unread 01/12/2010, 11:39 AM   #12
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

EEK! I've had lots of electrical tape unwrap itself eventually, and that's pretty high voltage to unwrap from. I know that there is heat shrink tubing out there which should be able to fit over the extension cord end and shrink down, then you could also have one ready to go that's already on the pump's cord to slide over that once it's shrunken, and then shrink again. Kind of a two-part deal.

Unread 01/12/2010, 11:40 AM   #13
killab443
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek4real View Post
This is much better than the one I tried to make out of timer.

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/rsetteur/a...dex_doseer.htm

I also tried to speed up the timer. I recall seeing a mod for a timer to be used on a Modded MJ1200 to make it turn on/off at faster intervals. 1 revolution was 60 seconds.

I tried to combine these mods together and was not successfull. maybe someone with a high level of DIY skills can do it right.
I came across that site on my quest to finding a dosing pump. It is an excellent idea, but in terms of reliability I decided on something trustworthy. I've had to many mechanical timers crap out on my asis lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Anyone have info on how these stack up in terms of reliability or sturdiness to conventional peristaltic pumps? i.e. a Masterflex?
As said on BRS website they say this is the pump they used on there own systems. As far as reliability and sturdiness, the pumps seem to be put together very well. The Norprene tubing can last 2 years in this type of application. Of course this depends entirely on usage. I don't think that really answers your question tho.

Unread 01/12/2010, 11:47 AM   #14
killab443
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmer View Post
EEK! I've had lots of electrical tape unwrap itself eventually, and that's pretty high voltage to unwrap from. I know that there is heat shrink tubing out there which should be able to fit over the extension cord end and shrink down, then you could also have one ready to go that's already on the pump's cord to slide over that once it's shrunken, and then shrink again. Kind of a two-part deal.
Your right heat has a big factor on unraveling. But it being wrapped 3 times total I doubt it will be an issue. I've done this on plenty of DIY projects for years with no ill effects. If you go ahead and use heatshrink tubing based on the thickness of the extension cord it will be to "baggy" around the pump wire even after being shrunk. This was with the Radioshack brand of course. There may be different type out there, but this is what I experienced

Unread 01/12/2010, 11:56 AM   #15
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killab443 View Post
If you go ahead and use heatshrink tubing based on the thickness of the extension cord it will be to "baggy" around the pump wire even after being shrunk. This was with the Radioshack brand of course.
This is why Ratshack brand heatshrink isn't allowed in my workshop. I stick with a good double-walled adhesive-lined heatshrink from a reputable manufacturer (i.e. 3M). Pick the right size and shrink ratio and I bet it would do fine on your mismatched wire. Worst case, use a heatshrink cap and lay the wires next to eachother when soldering instead of making a butt joint.

I don't use electrical tape on anything around the tank unless I don't care if it lasts more than a few months.

That's just me though, to each his own. . .

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 01/12/2010, 08:46 PM   #16
killab443
Registered Member

Couple shots of how the connection was made. I actually took the electrical tape off to show how I did it.

Also a final undertank sump shot. This is a 90g running a Mag18 with manifold for GFO, Carbon (future), and a Chiller.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0667.JPG (83.2 KB, 1221 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0670.JPG (49.1 KB, 964 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0672.JPG (86.1 KB, 964 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0675.JPG (64.9 KB, 1184 views)
Unread 01/12/2010, 09:53 PM   #17
sedor
Registered Member

Simple enough! Thanks for the pics killa!

Unread 01/12/2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Plan>B
Registered Member

Say... how big can a peristaltic pump get... thinking of water changes...

Plan>B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2010, 01:04 AM   #19
TellyFish
Registered Member

First off - Awesome write-up and great idea! I think I will try this out in the near future.

Quote:
Since you asked...

I own both (BRS drew's doser and 2 different masterflex pumps) and its really comparing apples to oranges. I can say that my newer masterflex L/S series pump is an absolute tank. I mean really, you could carry this thing into battle. I also have an older masterflex pump from the 60's which is just pumping away.

The cost comparison is absurd and really their markets don't really overlap. The masterlfex line offers things like completely interchangeable heads, quick-change systems, single-tube design, electronic control, etc). The Masterflex stuff is industrial grade (99% metal) and probably even overbuilt for most typical reefing--but hey, that's never stopped me before.

All that being said, the Drew's doser is great, fantastic even for the price. I bought all my masterflex stuff off eBay since buying new is out-of-the-question.

Current Tank Info: Hawaiian inspired 109g Miracles Rimless - 100g Prop Tank - 300g total system volume

Last edited by TellyFish; 01/13/2010 at 01:12 AM.
TellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2010, 07:29 AM   #20
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Yea you can get great deals on old masterflex pumps on ebay...Provided you have room for it in your cabinet. Some of those pumps are the size of a small microwave.

Unread 01/13/2010, 07:37 AM   #21
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Telly, thanks for the info. That's about what I figured. I have plenty of room and want something that'll last 10 years, so these "cheap" pumps are likely not realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyFish View Post
The cost comparison is absurd
Watch eBay for a while! You could probably assemble a dual-head pump for about the same cost as this DIY project.

Unread 01/13/2010, 03:39 PM   #22
TellyFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Watch eBay for a while! You could probably assemble a dual-head pump for about the same cost as this DIY project.
Hey der_wille- You must not have read the end of my post, I have bought almost all my masterflex part off eBay. I picked up my 77300 pump for dirt-cheap. Only government agencies or private research companies can afford to buy this stuff retail! O_o

That's why we need to build these DIY!

Current Tank Info: Hawaiian inspired 109g Miracles Rimless - 100g Prop Tank - 300g total system volume
TellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2010, 03:55 PM   #23
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyFish View Post
Hey der_wille- You must not have read the end of my post, I have bought almost all my masterflex part off eBay. I picked up my 77300 pump for dirt-cheap. Only government agencies or private research companies can afford to buy this stuff retail! O_o

That's why we need to build these DIY!
X2. All 3 of my Masterflex pumps come from Ebay. I maybe have $200 total in all 3.
They say if you use a Masterflex for 20 years, you still have 30 years of service left in it.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2010, 05:10 PM   #24
golfish
Team RC Member

I have one of the older Liter Meters. I bought it used around 1999 or 2000. Its amazing how long this pump has held up. I'd think Spectrapure has more money tied up in the metering end of these units. The pinch rollers and motor seem really cheap but its held up really well.

We use the Masterflex units at work in the Coke lab. Great stuff, over built and bigger then some tanks I've seen.

Great stuff there Killab443....

Current Tank Info: TOTM curse
golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2010, 07:10 PM   #25
Hawkdl2
Mad Scientist

What Mark said. I don't have a litermeter, but it and DD's are hobby grade pumps whereas Masterflex/Cole-Parmer are laboratory/industrial grade units, but then reef keeping is only a hobby. I've used dozens of various Cole-Parmer/Masterflex pumps in the lab and there is no comparison is terms of reliability and build quality, but while I would, and do, use nothing else for things like remote water changes, they are not appropriate for most of us in in-stand applications - they're just to bulky. Conversely, I also have various chromatography systems that use much smaller pumps like the ones Killa found. They do fail on occasion, but I've also seen a number of the CP/Masterfelx pumps wear out - it happens. Nothing lasts forever.

Killa, that's a great site and I'm ordering out a couple for dosing applications, though I will probably buy the slightly more expensive but heavy duty versions on their site. Good find!

If you can find them in the US, Wellco makes nice smaller encased peristaltic pumps too.

Current Tank Info: 120g mixed reef.
Hawkdl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doser, dosing pump, drew's, drews dosing