Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2014, 11:34 PM   #1
ReefReader
Registered Member

Substrate; Fiji Biotope... obsessive compulsive

I'm interested in creating a Fiji "biotope" (or recreating it as close as possible). I know "Fiji pink" is a popular and good choice, but does that mean that it's actually from Fiji? No, I'm not saying that necessarily matters. I would just like to recreate the environment as EXACT as possible, down to the structure of the sand. Or, that brings up another question, is sand basically structurally all the same? With the exception of grain sizes? I know there are crushed coral varieties and oolite (which I'm actually quite unsure what oolite is), but what would most accurately recreate what is found in the reefs of Fiji? Not only grain size, but structurally? Is all sand based from aragonite?

I know I have a lot of questions, but some things are just difficult to research. This is the place where everyone has experience and years of knowledge, so I figure this is my best place to begin.

Also, when it comes to biotopes/recreating natural environment, does it truly matter if the specimen is actually FROM the desired location? Or should I just focus on the species? For example, I know that Blue Tangs can be from Fiji, Solomon Islands, and Maldives, but if I just get a Blue Tang is that close enough? Or is it all dependent on how obsessive compulsive I want to be? My logic tells me it doesn't truly matter.

I have found that this site is a lot more friendly to newbies. Some people in this hobby seem to have their nose stuck so far up in the air, lol. Anyway, any general information about Fiji biotopes/substrates would be greatly appreciated. I am so so so excited to begin this journey and I look forward to sharing my progress.

Thanks in advance.

ReefReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aragonite, biotope, fiji, sand, substrate