Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2018, 08:31 AM   #1
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

Anemone Shrinking

Around 6 months ago, I purchased a bubble tip anemone from my lfs. Recently, It has gotten very small, and its tentacles have shrunk to a point where they are just tiny nubs. It has a firm grip on the rock, and frequently moves, so
I know it's not dead. I feed it mysis shrimp around 2-3 times a week, but it is very difficult to get him to eat it as his tentacles are so small and not good at gripping, and I have many crabs that try to steal from him Is it possible to get him to return back to his original size?

gonioporagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 08:39 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

Yes it is possible to return the anemone to good health. It's hard to give good advice without a list of your tank's water parameters, lighting schedule and equipment. The fact that it is moving indicates it is not happy in your tank. It could be too much flow, too much or not enough light or a water chemistry issue, but you are not giving us enough information to be of much help.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 03:25 PM   #3
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

My parameters for nitrate, phosphate, ammonia, and nitrite all read 0ppm on the API test kit. ph: 8.3, salinity: 1.026. I have my light on full from 9AM to 6PM, then it goes to the blue night lights. For equipment I have a SICCE Voyager Nano circulation pump, a filter containing carbon filters, felt, and filter floss. I am going to upgrade the tank soon, so I am planning on possibly purchasing Kessil lights, but right now I just have standard Biocube LED lights.

Hopefully this is enough information to help

Unread 07/02/2018, 05:19 PM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

I would suspect it's either a lack of light or too much flow directed at the anemone. I would also try cutting back on feeding it to once a week. It's going to get most of it's food from what it can catch when you feed your fish.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonioporagirl View Post
My parameters for nitrate, phosphate, ammonia, and nitrite all read 0ppm on the API test kit. ph: 8.3, salinity: 1.026. I have my light on full from 9AM to 6PM, then it goes to the blue night lights. For equipment I have a SICCE Voyager Nano circulation pump, a filter containing carbon filters, felt, and filter floss. I am going to upgrade the tank soon, so I am planning on possibly purchasing Kessil lights, but right now I just have standard Biocube LED lights.

Hopefully this is enough information to help
75% of the Nems food comes from light, manual feeding is OK, but once, twice a month is more than plenty.

You likely do not have enough intensity fir your Nem to perform adequate photosynthetic process to support his energy and growth needs....a.k.a....slowly starving.....virtually all Nems like intense light, moderate flow and will move to that location in which it exists. If it keeps moving....that's a strong sign not enough light.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2018, 07:26 AM   #6
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

alright thanks guys. I will try to upgrade my lights. What would you say is the best light for the nem and also LPS corals who prefer less light? I keep my more low light corals like blastomussa, acans and duncans near the bottom of my tank.

Unread 07/03/2018, 10:14 AM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

The LED's in the biocube should be plenty for a BTA. I would just quit trying to feed it, and let it be for a while. I think you may just be annoying the heck out of it between poking it to feed, and the crabs climbing on it to steal the food.

Pics of said nem would help too.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonioporagirl View Post
alright thanks guys. I will try to upgrade my lights. What would you say is the best light for the nem and also LPS corals who prefer less light? I keep my more low light corals like blastomussa, acans and duncans near the bottom of my tank.
I would say any reef combination that pushes around 150 watts, MH is a bit to intense for you, if your already having light in this range, no need to change, just stop the feeding, a lot of feed adds phosphates to your water and this can bring algae. If you feed the nem to much, he will simply barf it up later.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 09:36 AM   #9
stingythingy45
Registered Member

What is your Alk?
Do you supplement anything?
I agree with the others. Feeding way too much.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, anemone shrinking, bubble tip anemone, coral, nem