Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2015, 11:24 AM   #1151
darthvader
Registered Member

Will this work to continuously feed my calcium reactor? I understand there are various models that will work but with my luck I'll get the one that I've should have never gotten.
I currently need to feed 120 ml and would need room to dose a higher amount as things grow. I can't keep the effluent amount on my calcium reactor stable for more than 24hrs so I thought this would help. I'm currently feeding the reactor from my main return line to a hayward needle valve. I've tried a small individual pump solely to feed the reactor but that didn't help either. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2015, 12:02 PM   #1152
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Will this work to continuously feed my calcium reactor? I understand there are various models that will work but with my luck I'll get the one that I've should have never gotten.
I currently need to feed 120 ml and would need room to dose a higher amount as things grow. I can't keep the effluent amount on my calcium reactor stable for more than 24hrs so I thought this would help. I'm currently feeding the reactor from my main return line to a hayward needle valve. I've tried a small individual pump solely to feed the reactor but that didn't help either. Any help is welcome. Thank you.
120ml/min? Are you sure about that? Unless you have a huge tank or unless you are keeping your reactor pH really high, that seems like an awful lot of flow.

Regarding the pump, I don't see nor can I find any info on it's RPM. I did find something that indicated up to 380ml/min depending on tubing. That leads me to believe that it's a 100RPM pump and requires LS18 tubing to achieve those numbers.That head only supports LS16 tubing which in this case, isn't going to work as it will max out at 80ml/min with that head/tubing combo. Even with a head that supports LS17 tubing, you would have to run it at 70-80% full power to get your target ml and that would beat the crap out of the pump. A head that support LS18 tubing would be still running that pump hard for 24/7 use.

Bottom line. That pump will be not be ideal for your needs. If you truly need that high a flow rate, then you really want a 600 rpm pump along with a good pump head that supports the high end LS17 tubing. Something like a 7518-10 head.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2015, 12:14 PM   #1153
darthvader
Registered Member

My diplay is 300 with a 60g frag tank, and 80g sump. After rock displacement I'm thinking I'm roughly at about 340 actual water volume. My target ph is 6.6 in the reactor. I guess I could bump the effluent rate down 90ml/min with a ph of 6.5 in the reactor. How can I tell which head is going to support the ls17 tubing?

Unread 05/20/2015, 12:24 PM   #1154
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
My diplay is 300 with a 60g frag tank, and 80g sump. After rock displacement I'm thinking I'm roughly at about 340 actual water volume. My target ph is 6.6 in the reactor. I guess I could bump the effluent rate down 90ml/min with a ph of 6.5 in the reactor. How can I tell which head is going to support the ls17 tubing?
Still seems like really high flow unless you have a lot of SPS. I assume you already have a Ca reactor running on the system for a while and you have measured your effluent rate? That said, you search the head model numbers on the Cole Parmer website and look at the specs. Like I said, the 7518-10 would be at the top of the list as far as good choices as it supports the Pharmed LS17 tubing which is the best stuff to use as it will last the longest.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 05/20/2015, 01:04 PM   #1155
darthvader
Registered Member

Sounds good. I'll start looking for the 7518-10 head. Yes I've measured the effluent rate and it keeps me at 8.6 for alk and 440 for ca. I just hate having to adjust the rate manually everyday.

Unread 05/20/2015, 01:30 PM   #1156
hkgar
Registered Member

One problem be having with the high flow rate would becoming by using the flow rate to maintain the desired ALK. When you increase the flow rate your ALK will drip as the ALK of the effluent will drop as will the ph of effluent. Just the reverse when you decrease flow. The best method is to adjust bubble count or bubble size or some of both. Only change flow if the bubble count and bubble size are too high.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2015, 01:35 PM   #1157
hkgar
Registered Member

Harris 920NC on Aquarium plants reg.

I have been using the Aquariumplants regulator but now have a Harris regulator. I would like to use the electronic controller from Aquarium Plants with the Harris, but cannot get the gauges off from the control box.

Anyone done this? Any advice?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 05/20/2015, 02:10 PM   #1158
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Sounds good. I'll start looking for the 7518-10 head. Yes I've measured the effluent rate and it keeps me at 8.6 for alk and 440 for ca. I just hate having to adjust the rate manually everyday.
Look for a different pump too while you are at it. Regardless of what head/tubing you use, you will be running that pump into the ground with it's low RPM and your target flow rates.

Unread 05/20/2015, 03:23 PM   #1159
darthvader
Registered Member

From the information I've collected looks like I might have a winner. What you think slief? I also plan on reducing flow rate to not work the pump as hard. The description says it accepts ls17 tubing and is in perfect working condition. The rpms are 10-600 as well.

Unread 05/20/2015, 03:37 PM   #1160
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
From the information I've collected looks like I might have a winner. What you think slief? I also plan on reducing flow rate to not work the pump as hard. The description says it accepts ls17 tubing and is in perfect working condition. The rpms are 10-600 as well.
That is a much better choice and has the 7518-10 head which is a great head.

Unread 05/20/2015, 03:50 PM   #1161
darthvader
Registered Member

Thanks for the help slief! I highly appreciate it. To hkgar, I also use the AP regulator. Curious as to you want to change the regulator..

Unread 05/20/2015, 04:26 PM   #1162
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help slief! I highly appreciate it. To hkgar, I also use the AP regulator. Curious as to you want to change the regulator..
Two Stage Reg vs Single Stage Reg. There is a pretty good thread on here about them.

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2015, 10:26 AM   #1163
darthvader
Registered Member

Ahh, I see. I do notice that the pressure gauge jumps around a bit.

Unread 05/21/2015, 01:02 PM   #1164
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Sometimes the brass fittings are so tight the brass is almost fused together. It takes a vice and a proper wrench to get the fittings off. They come off, it is just very very tough. If you want to make sure you don't mess it up or strip the nut take it to a welding service center. They can get it off for you.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2015, 02:22 PM   #1165
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Sometimes the brass fittings are so tight the brass is almost fused together. It takes a vice and a proper wrench to get the fittings off. They come off, it is just very very tough. If you want to make sure you don't mess it up or strip the nut take it to a welding service center. They can get it off for you.
I called Aquarium Plants and they said that because of the jig they use and a locking nut, it would be impossible to remove without breaking something. Of course they wanted to sell be a new box for only $229, the whole unit is only $279. Fifty bucks for the gauges might give you an idea of there worth.

I get my CO2 from Air Gas, I might take it there to see if they can remove it.

Unread 05/21/2015, 11:01 PM   #1166
darthvader
Registered Member

I got a local hobbyists who's in the welding industry to help me replace the AP gauges with a victor unit. We'll see how that goes. Tired of having to adjust that too!

Unread 05/21/2015, 11:39 PM   #1167
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

What's the difference between the microprocessor pumps and the digital brushless ones?

Unread 05/22/2015, 12:05 AM   #1168
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Yes, it is likely the dust shield on the bearing from either the pump head or the gearbox. Find and replace the bearing that is damaged before it comes apart and does damage to surrounding components.
Thanks, just saw this.
I've contacted cole parmer for further advice. How in the heck would it shave off a piece of the dust shield though? Maybe I'll take off the head again and investigate further.

Unread 05/22/2015, 02:11 PM   #1169
darthvader
Registered Member

Has anyone picked up one of these cole parmer units that didn't have problems?? I would really like one but sounds like most need some work.

Unread 05/22/2015, 03:50 PM   #1170
kurfer
Moved On

If i'm currently feeding 300ml per min into my tank, will this pump work for me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLE-PARMER-...-/271785657479

I assume the digital ecomony drive 9000 is a 600 rpm. Plan on getting a 7518-10 head for it.

kurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2015, 04:20 PM   #1171
hkgar
Registered Member

The model number is on a sticker that someone put over the actual information. Cole Parmer does not have a model 9000-610. You might ask what the actual number is. They are 4 digits starting with a 7 then - 2 digits (7***.**)

Unread 05/22/2015, 04:37 PM   #1172
kurfer
Moved On

Well if my budget is 450 or under, what model would you get? Heavily stocked 150 gallon sps tank so 300ml per min is my target as of now with higher amounts in the future.

Unread 05/22/2015, 05:22 PM   #1173
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Has anyone picked up one of these cole parmer units that didn't have problems?? I would really like one but sounds like most need some work.
Most of them run trouble free, never had issues with any of mine. Just depends on what you get. I paid $50 for one of mine shipped to my door and it looks like it's hardly ever seen use but is an old brushed model and a bit noisy but not too bad at the low rpm's needed. I'ts a really bulky enclosure though as it's one of the older "digistaltic" models.

The cheaper ones are generally older and have been used more, as such they may need some service. If you find one that is lightly used you most likely won't need to do a thing to it except for replace brushes if it's a brushed model. The few recently that have had bearing issues I expect were very heavily used in their previous lives. A good majority of them have just been sitting in labs and only had occasional use. The cleaner and newer they look cosmetically the lighter use they've probably seen but the more you're going to have to shell out to get them, considering they go for upwards of $1000 new a lightly used model off ebay for $500 would be a steal!

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2015, 07:16 PM   #1174
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

I see that some CaRx users also have a kalk reactor. What percentage of Calcium Reactor users, add that piece of hardware. For those that don’t, what do you do about the pH?

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2015, 08:37 PM   #1175
kurfer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by herring_fish View Post
I see that some CaRx users also have a kalk reactor. What percentage of Calcium Reactor users, add that piece of hardware. For those that don’t, what do you do about the pH?
As long as you have a controller adding a kalk reactor is as easy as can be. I use a small food grade container with an aqua lifter velcro'ed to the top; less than 40 bux. I have my controller turn the pump on for 15 seconds every 3 hours. My PH during the day is 8.2 and night is 8.1...

After having a calc reactor for a few months, I would NEVER go back to 2-part. The tank has never looked better and my SPS are finally growing fast. I also would never ever own a calc reactor without a controller...to me that's a hard requirement.