Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2017, 08:00 PM   #1
snookman88
Registered Member

Aquarium at 1.0205 need HELP raising SG

Hello all I just realized my water in my 40 gallon breeder reef is at 1.0205 sg and I would like to raise it to 1.025. I am wondering if anyone knows the math and could tell me what sg 5 gallons of water needs to be to raise my 40b to 1.025. Ill estimate 35 gallons of water in tank at 1.0205 then I will remove 5 gallons. So what sg of 5 gallons of water added to 1.0205 sg of 30 gallons will produce 35 gallons of 1.025 sg water. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 40B mixed reef
snookman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Daddi0
Registered Member

I would not do it all at once. I would change out 5 gallons a day of properly mixed water til salinity is correct.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 11/27/2017, 08:16 PM   #3
snookman88
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice and I totally agree with you. Let me ask you this, I have a fish coming in tomorrow from divers den and they keep their water at 1.025. It was my preparation for this fish that caused me to realize my waters sg was so low. I will definitely do a 5 gallon water change to try and raise the sg a little but obviously it will still be low. How should I acclimate my new fish from 1.025 to my tanks water? I do not have a qt tank. Thanks!

Unread 11/27/2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Daddi0
Registered Member

I am by no means an expert, but as I understand it, critters acclimate quicker to lower salinity. And the problem arises from raising salinity. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in?

Unread 11/27/2017, 08:28 PM   #5
snookman88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
I am by no means an expert, but as I understand it, critters acclimate quicker to lower salinity. And the problem arises from raising salinity. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in?
Thanks man, I need a biologist and chemist rolled into one of this lol

Unread 11/27/2017, 08:53 PM   #6
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Do you have any livestock in the tank now? If not, just do a few 5g water changes with high salinity water until it's right. I don't like mixing water higher than about 1.035 because there's a risk of certain components coming back out of solution.

If there's livestock, I'd aim for getting halfway there by the time the new fish arrive, then drip acclimate them for at least an hour to get them used to the salinity difference.

If you had more time, the easiest way (IMHO) to raise salinity is to top off with saltwater instead of freshwater. This is pretty slow though and probably won't get you there by tomorrow.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 09:02 PM   #7
snookman88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Do you have any livestock in the tank now? If not, just do a few 5g water changes with high salinity water until it's right. I don't like mixing water higher than about 1.035 because there's a risk of certain components coming back out of solution.

If there's livestock, I'd aim for getting halfway there by the time the new fish arrive, then drip acclimate them for at least an hour to get them used to the salinity difference.

If you had more time, the easiest way (IMHO) to raise salinity is to top off with saltwater instead of freshwater. This is pretty slow though and probably won't get you there by tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply! I do have livestock BTW. Thanks for the advice!

Unread 11/28/2017, 08:23 PM   #8
snookman88
Registered Member

Decided to give an update about my situation. I did a five gallon water change with water at 1.030 sg and then waited 4 hours and did another 5 gallon water change at 1.026 sg. The next morning (today) I did another 5 gallon water change at 1.026 sg. My water is now sitting 1.024 and an I will do one 5 gallon water change per day until my water is at 1.026. My fish arrived from DD and it came in water at 1.025 sg and I followed DD's acclamation guide and introduced the specimen once the bags water reached 1.024 sg. The fish is happy and eating showing no signs of negative symptons. Thanks for everyone's help!

Unread 11/28/2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Daddi0
Registered Member

Cool!

Unread 11/28/2017, 10:11 PM   #10
Lsufan
Registered Member

One easy way to go about raising salinity is by topping off with saltwater instead of freshwater. If my salinity ever gets low I just turn off the ato & top off manually with saltwater for a couple days until it Is back to 1.026

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 08:00 AM   #11
SAT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
One easy way to go about raising salinity is by topping off with saltwater instead of freshwater. If my salinity ever gets low I just turn off the ato & top off manually with saltwater for a couple days until it Is back to 1.026
+1
Also, as Daddi0 indicated, fish can adapt rapidly to reduced salinity. It's increases that are problematic.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 08:04 AM   #12
SAT
Registered Member

BTW, I have found that the salinity of water from LiveAquaria can vary considerably, so don't assume it's really coming in at 1.025. I test the bag water. If it's lower than my quarantine tank, I adjust the QT accordingly. If it's higher, I leave the QT salinity alone. You are using a quarantine tank, RIGHT?

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 09:09 AM   #13
snookman88
Registered Member

No quarantine tank. I purchase fish so infrequently and have had great success with them that I feel I have no need for one. I have had my YWG for 8 years, my coral beauty that just passed for 6 years (bought full size so IDK what its age was), and a bangaii cardinal that I bought last year.

Also I did test the water in the bag and it was close to 1.025 (hard to get exact meausrement with hydrometer)

thanks for advice!

Unread 11/29/2017, 09:26 AM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
BTW, I have found that the salinity of water from LiveAquaria can vary considerably.
Fish from DD will be at about 1.025; fish from LA in California more like 1.018. Been pretty consistent for me.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 10:52 AM   #15
gargoylenest
Registered Member

google "hamza reef". there s a water change calculator that does exactly what you are trying to figure out, and by experience, its pretty pinpoint.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 12:18 PM   #16
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

If you're testing bag water for specific gravity, make sure are correctly compensating for temperature. For example, if you have a so-called auto temperature compensation refractometer, you need to leave the sample on the prism for 45 seconds before you take the reading. It's common for bag water temps to be significantly different than tank water temps and if you're not compensating while trying to match salinity, you're going to be off.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 11/29/2017, 02:43 PM   #17
snookman88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
If you're testing bag water for specific gravity, make sure are correctly compensating for temperature. For example, if you have a so-called auto temperature compensation refractometer, you need to leave the sample on the prism for 45 seconds before you take the reading. It's common for bag water temps to be significantly different than tank water temps and if you're not compensating while trying to match salinity, you're going to be off.
I tested bags salinity after floating in my tank for 30 minutes. Hopefully the bag water had adjusted to my tank water temperature.

Unread 11/29/2017, 03:05 PM   #18
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Sounds good!