Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Renton777
Polyp Nipper

The start of an LED build

Hello Everyone,
I am a long time lurker on the forum, mostly because I have been dreaming of setting up a reef tank, but now that the time approaches in which I have the green light (from the wife) to build it, it is time I start posting!

I am considering building an LED fixture for a 30x30x24 high cube aquarium. After some discussions with knowledgeable people I have come up a plan to use 4 10in x 10in heat sinks. Each heat sink would have the following:

A 4x4 array of 8 neutral white Cree XRE and 8 Cree XP-E royal blue (40 degree optics)

1 Cree CRE – Blue (cool blue) in the middle with 80 degree optic (or would true violet be more beneficial?)

I plan to run all the Blues on one dimmable driver and all the whites on a second dimmable driver. I was thinking of using the Meanwell ELN 60-48D dimmable LED driver but I am unsure if just one can be used for all 28 blue led’s and then a second one to control all 24 white led’s. My question is if that is too many LED’s per driver?

The next question I have is how many power supplies would I need. I was considering the 24V, 6.5A POTRANS POWER SUPPLY http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16854+PS , but again I was uncertain if that would be enough.

Finally, I have read that the Meanwell ELN 60-48D dimmable LED driver can be used with the Apex controller but I am unclear as to how the connection between the two units is made.

I look forward to any suggestions and answers you may have!
Thanks,
Nathan

Renton777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2010, 07:56 AM   #2
iwishtofish
Registered Member

A lot of people are DIYing LEDs now...how much do you think all the hardware will end up costing you?

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2010, 08:14 AM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton777 View Post
(or would true violet be more beneficial?)
Very much personal preference. There's maybe $10 at stake here - just get both and try. I can tell you that adding only one of either of those colors is going to have a minimal effect. IMHO you'd be just as well off carefully choosing color bins for the rest of your LEDs as that can make a large difference but is often overlooked.

Quote:
I plan to run all the Blues on one dimmable driver and all the whites on a second dimmable driver. I was thinking of using the Meanwell ELN 60-48D dimmable LED driver but I am unsure if just one can be used for all 28 blue led’s and then a second one to control all 24 white led’s. My question is if that is too many LED’s per driver?
Typically the ELN 60 48 is used with a single string of 12 LEDs in series. You can probably get away with 13 in series, but 14 would definitely be pushing it with the higher-drop LEDs you're talking about.

The other option is to do two strings in parallel. This effectively doubles the capacity as you can "fit" 24 - 26 LEDs on each. However, parallel strings require some VERY careful setup otherwise you run the risk of damaging the LEDs or building a rig that performs differently from your expectations.

Quote:
The next question I have is how many power supplies would I need. I was considering the 24V, 6.5A POTRANS POWER SUPPLY http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16854+PS , but again I was uncertain if that would be enough.
You need zero of these supplies. Meanwells have their own AC-DC circuitry built in. They run off 120v AC from your wall outlet. You don't need a separate supply to power the driver.

However, you DO need to supply a dimming signal - many people do this by rigging a 9 - 10v wall wart. It doesn't need a lot of current capability as it's simply providing a signal, not powering the drivers.

Quote:
Finally, I have read that the Meanwell ELN 60-48D dimmable LED driver can be used with the Apex controller but I am unclear as to how the connection between the two units is made.
It's simple assuming you have the version or add-on you have can do 10v analog - you just connect the pair of dimming wires from the drivers to the terminals on the controller.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Johnsy85
Registered Member

Keep us posted and take pictures!

Johnsy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2010, 05:58 PM   #5
truebeliever71
Premium Member

Quote:
Typically the ELN 60 48 is used with a single string of 12 LEDs in series. You can probably get away with 13 in series, but 14 would definitely be pushing it with the higher-drop LEDs you're talking about.

The other option is to do two strings in parallel. This effectively doubles the capacity as you can "fit" 24 - 26 LEDs on each. However, parallel strings require some VERY careful setup otherwise you run the risk of damaging the LEDs or building a rig that performs differently from your expectations.
Hey Nate,

Can you elaborate on this? What precautions do we need to watch for?

truebeliever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2011, 09:58 PM   #6
1Snapple
Registered Member

im tagging along to.

Tags
led build, led diy