Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2015, 12:42 PM   #101
karimwassef
Registered Member

Very interesting approach! Wish I had thought of that.

I think it would require a more complex set of staged containers and valves, but not impossible to conceptualize.

I would still need the actuators for the titration chemicals, but I can see using a dosing pump head, multi-stage vials with purge valves and fill valves to duplicate my saltwater and expel actuators without losing accuracy.

I don't have any solenoids in mind, but this prompts a different vector to consider.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2015, 12:55 PM   #102
ubasu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Very interesting approach! Wish I had thought of that.

I think it would require a more complex set of staged containers and valves, but not impossible to conceptualize.

I would still need the actuators for the titration chemicals, but I can see using a dosing pump head, multi-stage vials with purge valves and fill valves to duplicate my saltwater and expel actuators without losing accuracy.

I don't have any solenoids in mind, but this prompts a different vector to consider.
Yeah I think it would lead to less errors.

Amazing project btw. Holy crap this is cool. The amount of automation that could be based off of this information is incredible! The options are endless!!!!!

ubasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2015, 05:47 PM   #103
karimwassef
Registered Member

I don't know if it's less errors than an actuator, but it is simple and inexpensive and should be comparable if calibrated properly.

The risk is that if it's not perfectly level, it'll be a few drops light.

If I had a 3D printer, I could make a very simple cup in cup with line connections, but to make a DIY, I'd use two syringes - one large and one small. The small one cut at the level that would release 5ml (including the line volume before the solenoid):

photo 1_zpsb7orxvyo.jpg

The purple line is exported waste to drain and the blue line is 5ml into the test vial.

Trapped air bubbles in the line or first chamber may also add error.

Unread 06/23/2015, 07:17 PM   #104
zachts
Registered Member

That would be an interesting alternative, you'd need to calculate and account for the amount of water in the lines also and make the inside cup just shy of 5ml. It would probably need a pump to transfer as I don't think gravity would necessarily do the trick with such small lines, capillary action and all, along with that last few drops that would stick in the bottom of the inside cup unless it came down to a very tight cone at the bottom(just think a normal syringe if you fill it and let it drain by gravity, a little bit never gets out of the bottom), it might end up being more complex indeed, and possibly not any more accurate...........now you'll have to just make a 3D printer and try both,

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2015, 07:59 PM   #105
karimwassef
Registered Member

The syringes naturally have a cone bottom, but it still means the solenoid needs to become a second doser pump head.

Still viable but not so cheap and easy.

Neither are my syringes... But I have them in hand, so I'll keep at it.

Unread 06/23/2015, 08:00 PM   #106
karimwassef
Registered Member

So... 2000 views and only a handful participating?

Unread 06/24/2015, 12:49 AM   #107
droog
Registered Member

Quote:
Why would you need Alk and phosphates but no Ca?
Alk changes more rapidly than Ca changes more rapidly than Mg. Futher, if you use a balanced Alk additive like Kalk or 2-part Ca is going to track nicely along with Alk. I dose 2-part, don't bother to test for Ca or Mg really.

-Droog

droog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2015, 11:48 AM   #108
karimwassef
Registered Member

My data shows different take up rates for the three. That's probably also a function of water changes that introduce different contributions of each.

Unread 06/24/2015, 01:16 PM   #109
perkint
Registered Member

Quote:
So... 2000 views and only a handful participating?
I think what you're doing is way beyond what most would be willing to do!

One of the things that makes it so interesting!

Tim

perkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2015, 05:03 PM   #110
bobbravo2
Reef Addict

Keep up the good work. Have you tested the syringe driven pump action yet?

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon | Radion Pro G3 | MP40 | MP10 | Apex | Jaebo DC9000 | KNOP Calcium Reactor | Mated Picasso Clowns | Mix of LPS, SPS and Softies
bobbravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2015, 05:38 PM   #111
karimwassef
Registered Member

No. It's our end of quarter - so work is on overload these days.

This weekend, I'll try to get the assembly parts for the syringe - actuator bond. Then I can start testing.

Unread 06/24/2015, 10:38 PM   #112
droog
Registered Member

Quote:
My data shows different take up rates for the three. That's probably also a function of water changes that introduce different contributions of each.
Sure. Water changes can affect things, so can abiotic precipitation if if happens. Uptake rates are probably inside the noise limits of hobby test kits too unless taken over a long time period. Its my belief/understanding that the uptake rates should be balanced (all other things being equal).

I could also be wrong, its happened before... :-)

-droog

Unread 06/24/2015, 11:07 PM   #113
droog
Registered Member

@OP - I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been looking into DIY dosing of liquid foods to keep NPS corals for some time now. There are some DIY solutions using a fridge and dosing pump (sometimes venturi).

It seems that some elements of your design in this thread could be used to make an automatic food dosing system. Agitate a bottle, dose particulate matter via syringe, flush. The device could sit inside a mini-fridge running off a timer.

Not what this thread is about so feel free to ignore this (or I could spin a new thread to discuss). A continuous live food injector would be easier than the Alk measurement device and is likely to be better and easier than the designs currently out there. Could be a prototype / learning platform for Alk monitor. Just a thought.

-d

Unread 06/25/2015, 12:03 AM   #114
karimwassef
Registered Member

I think dosing pumps work great for live food. I've looked at those threads.

The only reason I'm using actuated syringes is the need for accuracy in titration.

The precession may not be necessary for live food.

You could use this, but I think it's overkill.

I'll post my design and code though, so feel free to adapt it to your needs.

Unread 06/25/2015, 09:16 AM   #115
mm.reefs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droog View Post

1] Gravity feed rather than syringe?

I wonder if you could fill a small reservoir using an actuator to open/close a value on a low-pressure drain from the DT.

Then another actuator to open close a valve that has a drain that drips a known quantity over time. 1 drop per second, measure and hard code the time needed to make 10ml and 1ml or whatever is called for.

-droog
Karim, very cool thread, I’m following it from the beginning!

I find droog's idea very interesting since drops may be counted with optical sensors, so the system may be accurate to the drop!

Keep the good ideas flowing!!!

mm.reefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2015, 12:10 PM   #116
karimwassef
Registered Member

I agree. I am depending on the accuracy of the encoders to make sure my drops align with specific increments of the actuator count position but if that's not tight enough, I might need to add an optical detector.

Unread 06/26/2015, 12:51 AM   #117
droog
Registered Member

Quote:
I think dosing pumps work great for live food. I've looked at those threads.

The only reason I'm using actuated syringes is the need for accuracy in titration.

The precession may not be necessary for live food.

You could use this, but I think it's overkill.

I'll post my design and code though, so feel free to adapt it to your needs.
It seems that most food gets clogged in the line using a dosing pump. I was interested in adapting this for the ability to dose "lumpy stuff" more than for precision. Agree precision is not a high requirement for feeding application.

-droog

Unread 06/26/2015, 06:25 AM   #118
karimwassef
Registered Member

It depends on whether you're feeding krill and mysis or cyclopese, I guess.

I think the concept of actuated syringes is viable but the scale would need to change. My current syringe and tube openings will likely get clogged with larger food parts, and the volume for each full pull is limited by a 12mm stroke ~ 10ml.

The same goes for the one way valves that control flow path.

I would consider a large diameter solenoid and use gravity with a water post-flush (second solenoid) to export the solid/liquid mix to the tank.

If you think about it, it's not different from the way a toilet bowl functions - it's practical robust engineering. - even if the imagery is not pretty.

Unread 06/26/2015, 04:46 PM   #119
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droog View Post
It seems that most food gets clogged in the line using a dosing pump. I was interested in adapting this for the ability to dose "lumpy stuff" more than for precision. Agree precision is not a high requirement for feeding application.

-droog
not to side track too much more but for bulky lumpy foods it just takes a bigger dosing pump with larger bore tubing and more power, like the masterflex heads and an appropriate motor.

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 05:23 PM   #120
jimbob321
Registered Member

i worked at a marina, when we pumped out "sewer" we used the same Principal of the pump design, a peristaltic pump. i know they will pump solids and you don't want to be the one changing the tube. lol
OK guy's lets get back on track here..

jimbob321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2015, 07:26 PM   #121
karimwassef
Registered Member

Nice...

I'll post some pics and videos as soon as I get the attachments. The machine screws on these actuators are very small.

I also got all the ribbon cables and connectors in.

If I get around to cutting the acrylic, I'll start testing the precession. We'll see how far I get.

Unread 06/27/2015, 10:07 PM   #122
dartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Peristaltic pumps can't control flow to the level of 0.065ml ... One drop.

If you know of one that does for <$25, I'll give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
not perfectly off the shelf but there are pleanty of cheap pump heads you choud juist swap a ~10rpm (or whatever gets you one drop) motor for the stock motor on any number of pumps.......easy, and cheap enough.....after a little calibration with the coding......
Quote:
If this doesn't work, I'll try it. There is a difference between precision and accuracy. I don't know if I can calibrate and code well enough to maintain a single drop tolerance and consistency over time from a peristaltic pump.

An actuator with an encoder has a tiny servo that counts turns exactly and that is directly related to position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
Stepper type motors would pretty easily do what you need and let you measure revolutions of the motor and subsequently output if time based operation of a low rpm gear motor is not accurate enough.

Based on the one's I've used for dosing the infusion pumps use stepper motors typically, and the units are very, very, accurate when using the tubing sets designed for them. They have to be for medical use, and very reliable.
To do this using peristaltic pumps, you can get fairly inexpensive stepper based pumps on eBay from China ( Stepper pumps). I am using 3 of them (with 3 more on order) coupled with 400 step/rev motors and drop by drop dosing is no problem at all using these. For controlling them, I suggest GRBL, so you can simply communicate with pumps over serial with 1 GRBL controller per 3 pumps heads.

If you are unfamiliar with GRBL, it is a CNC motion control platform that runs on an Arduino. I use it with my CNC router and love it. It is the best way of controlling steppers for exact, repeatable, movement that I have found.

The pump heads appear as the X,Y & Z axis in GRBL, and I send Gcode commands to move an axis n mm. I have each head calibrated so that 1 mm = 1 ml. So to dose a single drop it would be move n axis 0.05mm.

I use simple A4988 stepper drivers (<$2 each on eBay) with a CNC shield, but I have been wanting to make a board to hold 3 drivers along with an Arduino mini but could not think of anything that justified the trouble. Having lots of pumps for doing titrations sounds like a good use

Those mini linear stages you are using are wild. Where did you find them for $20?

Anyway cool project you have underway. I could have used this on a recent vacation where my Alk drifted too low and I lost some frags.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary

Last edited by dartier; 06/27/2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 10:29 PM   #123
karimwassef
Registered Member

Great ideas Dennis! Give it a go.
If you can get it done with peristaltic pumps repeatedly, that would make it even easier.

I don't know if cheap pumps can be calibrated well enough to consistently run a single drop at a time without a feedback loop. I think it would work to start off, but 20 titrations later? 50?

Even these actuators worry me in terms of their variability over extended use.

This will only be a success if it can run at least 6 months without needing to be recalibrated or replaced.

Unread 06/28/2015, 04:50 AM   #124
dartier
Registered Member

I am not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but there is some good info on developing a opensource colorimeter here https://sites.google.com/site/colorimeterwiki/home. Especially useful is the info on which off the shelf tests work well and what LED colours to use for illumination purposes. They appear to be using a sensor similar to the one on the board that you are using.

They also offer it in kit format. I might pick one up just so that I could not have to use another one of those insufferable colour charts ever again.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary

Last edited by dartier; 06/28/2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 09:11 AM   #125
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks. I'm hoping that the titration will have a large enough change in color reading that I can use the difference in yellow content (Alk) or blue content (Ca) to capture the event, rather than the actual color.

I'm still waiting for my sensor.