Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2018, 03:34 PM   #1
GoNoles
Registered Member

Bean Animal Valve Placement

When installing the valve for the Full Siphon, does it matter where it is plumbed in? I would like to have mine nearer the sump as opposed to near the bulkheads.

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoles View Post
When installing the valve for the Full Siphon, does it matter where it is plumbed in? I would like to have mine nearer the sump as opposed to near the bulkheads.
My research indicated as close to the bottom as possible. The valve creates turbulence after the valve and you want the minimal distance with turbulence. I placed my valves right on the acrylic hole of the sump. Works perfect and dead silent.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 03:48 PM   #3
Bryan3536
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
My research indicated as close to the bottom as possible. The valve creates turbulence after the valve and you want the minimal distance with turbulence. I placed my valves right on the acrylic hole of the sump. Works perfect and dead silent.

Hmm. I installed a Synergy Reef overflow with a bean animal, and they instruct you (me) to install a 4-5” piece of pvc to the box, then the valve right after. Not saying they are right, but I went with it considering the source (manufacturer of my overflow). Just working with it today, haven’t tried to tune it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 08:26 PM   #4
sierra_bravo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan3536 View Post
Hmm. I installed a Synergy Reef overflow with a bean animal, and they instruct you (me) to install a 4-5” piece of pvc to the box, then the valve right after. Not saying they are right, but I went with it considering the source (manufacturer of my overflow). Just working with it today, haven’t tried to tune it yet.

That's the way I installed mine - no issues and zero noise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sierra_bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 02:15 AM   #5
Gorgok
Registered Member

As best i remember, lower is better to an extent before it becomes a pain to use. If you have a basement sump for example it may be more practical to have the valve on the tank level so you can see the adjustments you make better... Similarly, i think its better to be below the tank accessible under the stand than behind the tank, accessible only with spaghetti arms reaching around it...

I think it mainly has to do with startup, not entirely sure why though. Once running a full siphon the location shouldn't matter since the whole pipe has to be full of water.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

If your sump is under the tank then place the valve where it is easily accessible . When placement of the valve becomes a issue is when u have long horizontal runs or the sump is far away from the tank like in a basement. In those cases it is better to have the valve close to the sump. It makes it hard to tune being u can’t see the tank, but the long runs create turbulence if the valve is by the tank.

It sounds like your sump under your tank, so valve placement shouldn’t matter. Most people put it closer to the sump inside of the stand for access reasons. U don’t really want it behind the tank but as long as u can reach it it will work, just harder to get to.

Last edited by Lsufan; 02/14/2018 at 09:08 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 11:27 PM   #7
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan3536 View Post

I believe this was the prevailing view since that is how BeanAnimal first designed it. When you place the valve at the bottom, you have increased pressure above the valve and it clears the air more quickly. Although they both will achieve full siphon if designed correctly.

Unread 02/14/2018, 02:46 PM   #8
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
If your sump is under the tank then place the valve wherever has the easiest access. When placement of the valve becomes a issue is when u have long horizontal runs or the sump is far away from the tank like in a basement. In those cases it is better to have the valve close to the sump. It makes it hard to tune being u can’t see the tank, but the long runs create turbulence if the valve is by the tank.

It sounds like your sump under your tank, so valve placement shouldn’t matter. Most people put it closer to the sump inside of the stand for access reasons. U don’t really want it behind the tank but as long as u can reach it it will work, just harder to get to.
My sump is directly under the DT. The plumbing from the overflow falls directly vertical to the sump. However, the overflow is on one end (it is going to be a peninsula display) so access will definitely be easier in the sump compartment as opposed to against the wall. Just wanted to make sure that if I plumb the valve lower it wouldn't affect the syphon.

Unread 02/14/2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoles View Post
My sump is directly under the DT. The plumbing from the overflow falls directly vertical to the sump. However, the overflow is on one end (it is going to be a peninsula display) so access will definitely be easier in the sump compartment as opposed to against the wall. Just wanted to make sure that if I plumb the valve lower it wouldn't affect the syphon.
Plumbing the valve lower will help the siphon clear the air more quickly. I have the exact same setup you are proposing and I have the valve connected directly to the top side hole of the acrylic sump and a 4" piece of PVC under the hole going to the water. Its perfect, quiet and clears air within a minute or so.

Unread 02/15/2018, 08:50 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Putting the valve down by the sump is also quieter as your drain pipes will be fully flooded all the way down. I also believe that this will give you a higher theoretical maximum flow because there will be a greater weight of water 'pulling' on the siphon.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 02:36 PM   #11
GoNoles
Registered Member

Thank you all for the help!!

Unread 02/16/2018, 02:25 PM   #12
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Putting the valve down by the sump is also quieter as your drain pipes will be fully flooded all the way down. I also believe that this will give you a higher theoretical maximum flow because there will be a greater weight of water 'pulling' on the siphon.
It would appear that way at first, but in reality as long as the discharge is submerged, then the distance between the 2 water surfaces dictates the total siphon head. That is, the entire standpipe is at the same negative pressure and the flow rate remains the same regardless of valve placement. The same at least, ignoring differences in overall Reynolds cooeficnents between the two.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 02:49 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yes, that is a good point. In my case, the discharge end of the siphon is not submerged.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 04:41 PM   #14
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
It would appear that way at first, but in reality as long as the discharge is submerged, then the distance between the 2 water surfaces dictates the total siphon head. That is, the entire standpipe is at the same negative pressure and the flow rate remains the same regardless of valve placement. The same at least, ignoring differences in overall Reynolds cooeficnents between the two.
Does the placement affect the time it takes to clear air and achieve full siphon?

Unread 02/20/2018, 12:27 AM   #15
mkj
Registered Member

no need to overthink. Place where you can reach it best.

mkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 12:43 PM   #16
GoNoles
Registered Member

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate all suggestions I have received!