Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2012, 09:43 AM   #1
matholamew
Registered Member

Baby Sargassum angler

Hi all:

I have recently picked up a baby (about 1 inch) Caribbean Sargassum angler from the Diver's Den. See link.

They said he was eating live brine shrimp and live baby ghost shrimp. I know that brine shrimp is not the most nutritious food and as far as I know the ghost shrimp is not much better.

I am hoping to get some expertise on how much and how often this guy can or should be fed. Also if anyone can recommend any supplemental food, if necessary for this little guy that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

matholamew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Naso2
Registered Member

When I set up my FOWLR I put live plants in for the tangs/angels and live brine shrimp for everyone else. They are still multiplying after 3years.

Naso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2012, 03:04 PM   #3
wlyon
Registered Member

I love my sargassum angler. When he was small he lived in my 29 biocube which had a nano koralia and the return pump and he till got blown around the tank haha. So with yours being slightly smaller than mine when I got him you might want to watch out for that.

I used ghost shrimp to feed him since that was one of the only sources of live food I could get at the time. pay close attention, from time to time if you over feed one then they quit eating and just simply forget to start eating again. 2-3 ghosties a day should work for now. When the fish grows you will just have know what he needs food wise, since you see him/her everyday.

Mine is now 7 inches roughly and eats 2-3 piecies of IQF clam every other day or so.

Unread 04/15/2012, 10:58 PM   #4
rpjaws74
Registered Member

you guys have any pics??

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2012, 10:23 AM   #5
wlyon
Registered Member

Unread 04/16/2012, 02:26 PM   #6
matholamew
Registered Member

I do not have any pics of mine yet. Just the one in the link to the Diver's Den. He has been hiding in rubble.

I will be sure to pot a pic when I have one.

Unread 04/16/2012, 02:27 PM   #7
matholamew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlyon View Post
I love my sargassum angler. When he was small he lived in my 29 biocube which had a nano koralia and the return pump and he till got blown around the tank haha. So with yours being slightly smaller than mine when I got him you might want to watch out for that.

I used ghost shrimp to feed him since that was one of the only sources of live food I could get at the time. pay close attention, from time to time if you over feed one then they quit eating and just simply forget to start eating again. 2-3 ghosties a day should work for now. When the fish grows you will just have know what he needs food wise, since you see him/her everyday.

Mine is now 7 inches roughly and eats 2-3 piecies of IQF clam every other day or so.
2-3 ghosties a day seems like a lot to me for such a small angler. Remember at this point he is only about 1 inch.

Unread 04/16/2012, 09:49 PM   #8
rpjaws74
Registered Member

thanks for the pic man very nive angler! have always wanted one but I like my other fish to much.lol

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2012, 11:34 AM   #9
matholamew
Registered Member

Successful feeding

Great news! I have picked up some guppies from my local LFS based on what I found on another thread, and I am happy to say that he accepted it! There was no luring, but maybe the angler is too young to lure.

Anyway, I still have to get a decent picture to post.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope this is a good start to a long and healthy life for this little angler.

Unread 06/13/2012, 11:18 AM   #10
matholamew
Registered Member

He is finally in my tank! Thank you to my brother who kept him and fed him since I first got him.

As promised here are some pics. Some were taken while he was floating for acclimation.

Now for the update, he has been eating well, 2-3 guppies a week. He has grown in size, but only slightly and not enough to eat ghost shrimp yet. All the ghosties my LFS has are still too big. I will be sure to include more updates in the future.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1339607376480.jpg (40.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1339607395783.jpg (37.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1339607408944.jpg (44.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1339607821997.jpg (45.7 KB, 46 views)

Tags
angler, baby, caribbean, feeding, sargassum