Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Phixman
Registered Member

Mist emitting from plate coral

I was moving some things, and noticed my plate coral was too close to the glass, so I touched the side to move it away from it. Then noticed the coral open it's mouth quickly and a brownish sluggish mist emitted from his mouth. What is this mist? Did it think I was a predator?

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Phixman
Registered Member

Also a noticed some some white spots on it, what are they? I'll post an images below.

Unread 09/04/2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Phixman
Registered Member

Unread 09/04/2017, 08:38 PM   #4
kurt_n
Registered Member

No worries about the brown goo... it just pooped, that's all. I wouldn't worry about it being too close to the glass - the glass is much friendlier to the coral than the rockwork. It's going to move wherever it wants.

Not sure about the white blotches. It could be tissue damage from that nasty looking hermit crab, or maybe salt crust falling down from the rim of the tank onto the tissue? Or maybe it's just getting used to its new home? How long have you had it?

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2017, 02:22 AM   #5
Phixman
Registered Member

I've had it for 7 days now, I feed it a couple days ago some reef roids and mysis shrimp. I was thinking of feeding it once a week to twice a week. Now that you mention it, it is very possible it's being caused by my crabs shell, I've had them for a couple months, but felt bad getting rid of them & taking them back to Petco.

Unread 09/05/2017, 05:45 AM   #6
Moort82
Registered Member

As above really but if it's that new the patches are likely shipping or handling stress. If you keep it happy they should soon go. I have 20 or so fungias living together and they touch the glass and move over one another. They are fairly resilient but I don't feed them and don't have massive hermits either.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Phixman
Registered Member

Thank you for the response, I'm thinking of taking my hermits to my local fish store tomorrow, and picking up some new small blue legged crabs.

Unread 09/13/2017, 10:42 PM   #8
kurt_n
Registered Member

I started out with crabs in my tank because people said I needed them. I quickly realized that I didn't and my corals have thanked me every day!

Crabs are great to keep a tank clean, but they really don't mind if they drag their shells across a coral. I'd rehome that crab, but not replace it.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lps, mist, plate coral, salt